Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • inexpensive chamois under-short/lycra for use under baggy shorts?
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

as per the title. Its been YEARS since I wore any lycra but would like to look at something comfortable to wear under baggies (non bib) without spending north of £50 if possible. Any particular brands/models to look at?

greenjam
    Free Member

Check out DECATHLON, good value stuff , i have shorts from there that’s lasted ages

andybrad

madison flux work well for me

anagallis_arvensis

Dhb stuff at wiggle or decathlon works for me

thomthumb
    Free Member

bibs are much more comfortable

lunge

Decathlon, 700/900 if the budget stretches, 500 is fine if not.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Decathlon +1 (and Bib’s +1, shorts without bibs just fall down, bunch up and end up all over the place).

Used to really like DHB, but recently their pads have been all over the place. On the plus side they were thin and light.

Only problem I’ve had with decathlon is the pad is quite stiff for the first few rides/washes, takes a while for it to bed in and stop feeling like a nappy.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Zipvit bibs. Most comfortable shorts i’ve worn at any price £40 a pair.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Decathlon, 700/900 if the budget stretches, 500 is fine if not.

they look to fit the bill nicely, cheers! and yes, i hear you about the bib comfort issue, but i’m not typically doing huge miles with the type of riding i do (dh orientated) which i should have mentioned. might re consider though so i’ll look at some alternatives. cheers fellas.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bibs are still better, even for gravity stuff they just fit better and work well.

anono

Keep an eye out for the polaris sales – recently picked up a couple of pairs of their adventure shorts for £8 each. So far they’re keeping everything snug and comfy.

molgrips
    Free Member

Endura liners £15?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

they look to fit the bill nicely, cheers! and yes, i hear you about the bib comfort issue, but i’m not typically doing huge miles with the type of riding i do (dh orientated) which i should have mentioned. might re consider though so i’ll look at some alternatives. cheers fellas.

Once you get over the fact you look like a wrestler (in a bad way) without your top on, there really are no downsides unless you need a poo.

molgrips
    Free Member

In hot weather the straps can get increase sweaty discomfort, and if they aren’t quite the right length then it makes it a bit uncomfortable too, which you might not notice when you try them on in the shop. If you do. That can still be an issue if you are wearing them for a long time even if not riding that whole time. That’s why you see roadies/pro XCers and so on standing around with the straps off whilst still in their kit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

nah that’s just so they can flash their pigeon chests out to people…

slowoldman

I thought it was to get an even suntan.

submarined
    Free Member

For downhilly days I use 6 quid Decathlon basics! Cheap, disposable, last, and actually fit really well! Pad is OK, and has lasted me a year or so. Starting to get bit flat now though.

I wouldn’t recommend Endura ones, IME the fit is terrible. I have weedy legs and they’re either way too tight on my thighs, baggy around the crotch, and comfortable in the waist, or they’re comfortable in the thighs, but even more baggy in the crotch and massive in the waist. Endura stuff is properly odd size wise. Or I am. One or the other.

russyh
    Free Member

Polaris, whenever they have an offer on. usually about £11 for a pair of their Gel shorts. Perfect for under a pair of baggies and good for a descent amount of time in the saddle.

kayak23

I use FDX ones off Amazon.
    They’re bitchin.

£15 off Amazon

nickhit3
    Free Member

unless you need a poo.

I’ll be honest, easy access for bowel evacuation is top of the list when purchasing any garment below the waist.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll be honest, easy access for bowel evacuation is top of the list when purchasing any garment below the waist.

Remove top, take of straps, drop and commence. It’s not exactly rocket science there

nickhit3
    Free Member

cheers Kayak23, they look decent just a tad long at 3/4 length.

nickhit3
    Free Member

Remove top, take of straps, drop and commence. It’s not exactly rocket science there

it was a joke, dont worry. thanks for the tip tho..!

with the fact i ride with a base layer/ top/jacket/pack on the upper body, I would still argue that simply pulling down a waist band is easier than the bib…. if we’re going to go there lol

Its been many a year since I’ve had to go for a dump in the wild, YMMV.

in any case i mentioned in the OP, im NOT looking for bibs on this occasion… the padded liner seems to fit the bill for my needs so far.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, that is what you said, just providing the enlightened view that they are better

nickhit3
    Free Member

Yep, that is what you said, just providing the enlightened view that they are better

If I may, I reserve the right to wrongheadedly make a poor buying decision upon considering the evidence your honour.

Kidding aside, i do know they’re ‘better’- I’ve used bib tights successfully in the past before my riding discipline changed- but having looked around prior to posting, i didn’t actually think a bib option would be necessary for this application.

kayak23

nickhit3 – Member
    cheers Kayak23, they look decent just a tad long at 3/4 length.

If one really must bare ones knees….

shermer75
    Free Member

Decathlon

nickhit3
    Free Member

If one really must bare ones knees….

these remember are for UNDER longer baggies or full DH pants incl the use of knee pads. I wouldn’t contemplate lycra and pads or indeed the infamous ‘**** gap’. im not a monster.. 😉

realise i didn’t specify pad use, apologies.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘inexpensive chamois under-short/lycra for use under baggy shorts?’ is closed to new replies.