Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)
  • Inconsiderate Cycling Polite Rant
  • franksinatra

Sometimes cyclists are their own worst enemy

About two miles of my commute are along a single carriageway bypass. this is a busy road but traffic moves quickly due to no major junctions, lights etc. Riding in this morning I saw a cyclist coming the other way, in primary position with approximately 50 frustrated cars stacked up behind waiting to overtake but with little opportunity to do so due to regular oncoming traffic.

The problem here? I was riding on the totally dedicated bike path! This is not a silly cycle lane separated by paint only, it is a former railway line that runs parallel to the road and completely separate from it! It is fast, free of obstruction and includes an underpass at the right point if you need to get back to the other side of the bypass.

It is so frustrating to see a cyclist doing this when we are blessed with a facility that lots of other riders are not so lucky to have

So, if that was you heading west along the Melrose bypass this morning, towards the BGH you are giving the rest of us a bad name and exposing yourself to unnecessary danger. Consider yourself told

bencooper
    Free Member

His taxes paid for the road, why shouldn’t he use it?

IHN

You see, I agree with you, and have raised similar points in the past.

Unfortunately we are turncoat yellow-bellied traitors to the cycling cause, for having the audacity to suggest that a cyclist might being the wrong. Apparently.

franksinatra

His taxes paid for the road, why shouldn’t he use it?

Are you serious?

warton
    Free Member

Totally agree with the OP. If there’s a dedicated, good cycle path available I use it. whether on my commute, or my long sunday ride.

Why you’d want to mix it up with cars and lorries, when there’s a perfectly good alternative is beyond me

crazy-legs

Maybe he didn’t know it was there?
    Maybe the road was faster and/or more convenient for his purpose?

He’s not doing anything wrong, there’s no law that says you *have* to use a cycle path (thankfully!)

IHN

My taxes pay for the pavements, why shouldn’t I sit down in the middle of one, spread out a picnic blanket and enjoy a meal? All those buggers can just go round.

Because it’s inconsiderate, that’s why.

MrAgreeable

Ok. Now give us your rant about all the drivers in that queue of cars who were the sole occupants of their vehicle, despite having access to car share schemes and public transport, or who were travelling less than a mile, or ferrying their kids to school because of an irrational fear of paedophiles.

bencooper
    Free Member

Are you serious?

Yes. Sure, it may not have been the best decision to go on a busy road, but you could say that about lots of cycling decisions.

What I don’t agree with is that he is somehow hurting the image of cycling by using a road he’s got a perfect right to use. Once you start that argument – that cyclists should take a different route because they inconvenience car drivers – then you’re on a slippery slope.

IHN

Now give us your rant about all the drivers in that queue of cars who were the sole occupants of their vehicle, despite having access to car share schemes and public transport, or who were travelling less than a mile, or ferrying their kids to school because of an irrational fear of paedophiles.

So everyone involved in the incident was in the wrong. That makes it all alright then.

bencooper
    Free Member

What I don’t like also is the suggestion that one cyclist somehow has a responsibility to represent all cyclists. It’s a common thing that we need to object to – we don’t do it for car drivers.

franksinatra

Ok. Now give us your rant about all the drivers in that queue of cars who were the sole occupants of their vehicle, despite having access to car share schemes and public transport, or who were travelling less than a mile, or ferrying their kids to school because of an irrational fear of paedophiles.

Yeah, because that is a great argument 🙄

footflaps

I shun dedicated bike paths and always use the roads.

franksinatra

What I don’t like also is the suggestion that one cyclist somehow has a responsibility to represent all cyclists. It’s a common thing that we need to object to – we don’t do it for car drivers.

Of course people do. 4×4 drivers, audi drivers, old drivers…

People will stereotype, it is a fact of live. One bad cyclist will get noticed a lot more than 10 considerate cyclists. Not saying it is fair, just the way it is.

Edit: I do agree though that we should object to it

IHN

Once you start that argument – that cyclists should take a different route because they inconvenience car drivers – then you’re on a slippery slope.

I take your point, but ‘we’ (the cycling ‘community’) bang on that we want better facilities. In this case, it sounds like a good cycle lane is in place, so by choosing not to use it he’s not helping the ’cause’ because some will say ‘we gave you what you said you wanted, you’re not using it, so why should we bother?’

Plus, it’s actually got nothing to do with cycling or cars. It’s a simply a case of someone being inconsiderate. Their actions are inconveniencing a lot of other people, and there’s something very easy that they could do that would stop that being the case. As has been said many times, some people are d1cks, and that’s independent of their preferred mode of transport

bencooper
    Free Member

Doesn’t mean we should go along with it…

IHN

footflaps – Really? Why? Honest question.

franksinatra

IHN – you have hit the nail on the head.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Yeah, because that is a great argument

Seemed a pretty valid counter point to me….

Drivers need to get over the fact that sometimes they get slowed down by other traffic, be it a cyclist, a tractor or a hedge cutting vehicle. Cyclists aren’t holding up traffic, they are traffic etc. If everyone was prepared to wait a little longer and put with the fact they’ve had a minute or two added to their journey the few minutes at 15 mph wouldnt be a problem.

And FWIW, there could be any number of reasons you’re inconsiderate cyclist wasnt using the cycle path, get over it.

Rscott
    Free Member

Anyone who’s defending this cyclist is seems to be coming up with very selfish reasons, if he/she didn’t know it was there fair enough.

on the taxs front his taxes also payed for the cycle route.

Remember one cyclist not using it is more obviouse than 100 cyclist using it,and the govement will use this to say well do we actuly need them.

thirdly,cyclistsdont pay road tax/rediculouse fule tax which the majority of motorists do, (im not saying we should)but there’s another way to look at the tax sitution.

I’d love to car share but on my journey to work at 5 in the morning i’m lucky to see a single other car.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

giving the rest of us a bad name

This is the bit i have issue with.

I’m uncomfortable with this idea that i’m somehow resonsibile for him just beacuse i’m using the same form of transport. That i’ve got to correct every single other cyclists behaviour before i can ask for safer cycling conditions?

Why isn’t this logic applied to any other way of grouping people together?

franksinatra

Unfortunately it is, in every aspect of life. I don’t agree with it, but it is just the way it is.

IHN

It is. All the time.

Football fans. Tories. Toffs. Chavs. Roadies. Audi drivers. Bus drivers. The French. The Germans. Politicians. Students…

29erKeith
    Free Member

If its a decent safe and fast enough route then I’d have used it.

I don’t use some of the cycle route on my commute because it’s a narrow poorly maintained pavement with side roads and driveways every 50 yards with a blue sign i.e. completely Carp!

Drac

Doesn’t have to use but it is sometimes stupid not too, there’s a great cycle path near me, very well sign posted and well built. Lots use it most of them tourists, many local roadies don’t and it’s on a horrible and dangerous stretch of road. Their choice though.

It’s a common thing that we need to object to – we don’t do it for car drivers.

Hhahaha good one.

franksinatra

I completely agree about poorly designed bike paths, in this case, it is very good.> Of course the local TT riders don’t use it, but then they are not riding at peak commuting time.

I don’t use some of the cycle route on my commute because it’s a narrow poorly maintained pavement with side roads and driveways every 50 yards with a blue sign i.e. completely Carp!

This is the section of path

Is this is the point where is narrows towards the road

MrAgreeable

Rscott, congratulations. You must be the last person left using a cycling forum who still thinks that vehicle excise and fuel duty pays for roads.

GrahamS

I’m on the “show some consideration” side.

Yes, cyclists have every right to use the road. But if you’ve got 50 cars lined up behind you with nowhere to overtake then just pull over for a minute and let them past.

Not because you have to, or because cars are more important, but just because that is what a decent courteous unselfish person would do.

Same applies if you are riding a horse, driving a tractor, pulling a caravan etc etc

whatnobeer
    Free Member

TBHm I’d probably use the path, it looks good and would get salted at the same time as road if its icy? That said, if there’s ever walkers, slow cyclists on it etc, I might be tempted the use the road, or if its liable to ice over and not get gritted/salted in the cold weather.

GrahamS

cyclistsdont pay road tax/rediculouse fule tax which the majority of motorists do

Sweet Jesus. 🙄

IHN

Wot GrahamS sed

edit: (both things)

traildog
    Free Member

Hmm. If you’ve missed the entrance to that path then you’re stuck on the road. That’s a fast looking road, I’d imagine 20mph+ and I’d probably feel ok on the road. Is it a 30mph road? In which case I cannot imagine holding traffic up.

I like using bike paths but quite often when you don’t know them and you’re making good progress, it’s safer to avoid them. Car drivers should realise that the roads are not designed for them to go as fast as they possibly legally can. Are you suggesting little old ladies who drive slowly should keep of the road at this time of day as well?

Drac

That second pic is driving me mad I know it….ah wait got it, right next to Borders General?

franksinatra

Hmm. If you’ve missed the entrance to that path then you’re stuck on the road. That’s a fast looking road, I’d imagine 20mph+ and I’d probably feel ok on the road. Is it a 30mph road? In which case I cannot imagine holding traffic up.

It is a 60mph bypass

Drac, correct

lemonysam
    Free Member

Personally, if that cyclepath were here this morning I’d have expected it to be icy and would have avoided it. No idea what the weather was like there though so that may not apply.

edit: Of course, I’d have avoided the bypass as well if remotely practical to do so.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Some people just have a deathwish. FS – where would they be coming from to be on that stretch of road?

franksinatra

Hi G.

Most likely over the Boglie and heading to work at BGH

glupton1976
    Free Member

Makes me wonder if they are a visiting student or something similar and dont know the area. Given that there’s lots of other much safer options.

miketually
    Free Member

It says a lot about the infrastructure in this country that that’s considered to be a high-quality bike path.

I’d probably not have ridden that this morning, as it’s pretty icy out and I’d assume it’s not gritted.

thirdly,cyclistsdont pay road tax/rediculouse fule tax which the majority of motorists do, (im not saying we should)but there’s another way to look at the tax sitution.

Oh dear. Where to begin?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘Inconsiderate Cycling Polite Rant’ is closed to new replies.