Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)
  • In this age of austerity…
  • philconsequence
    Free Member

steal from people better off than you

binners

Oooooooooooooooooo! Get her?! How about turning your heating off and powering the house on pure self-righteousness?

uplink
    Free Member

Don’t buy a Dachshund. Their amusing sausage shape means
    they take 50% longer to stroke than other dogs, and time is money.

br
    Free Member

on Aldi- we cook mostly from scratch and I don’t seem to find much in there that we’d use

Eh? They must be the cheapest for fruit/veg this side of a market, plus dairy and meat aren’t what you call expensive.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How about earning more money by working more and reducing hours spent posting messages on forums?

The awesome thing is that I earn a good wage and get to post on here all the time….

Where’s the smug smiley?

warton
    Free Member

weekly shop
    plan all meals, buy only the food needed for those meals
    cook everything from scratch
    buy household goods at wilkos, poundstretcher etc.
    packed lunches save a fortune. I don’t take any money to work at all.
    limit car usage a lot, thats a biggie at the moment.
    turn off lights.
    thinking about sorting out the aerials in our house and scrapping cable TV.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

turn off lights

Will you tell my wife this one please? Drives me nuts.

camo16
    Free Member

Maybe she doesn’t like surprises.

uplink
    Free Member

turn off lights

Will you tell my wife this one please? Drives me nuts.

I feel your anger

Right ………. how much does it cost to run an 18W lamp for an hour?
    I’ll take the cost out of her hide when she gets back in 🙂

warton
    Free Member

I complain to my wife daily about lights. It makes no difference. I’ve given up now, and spend half my time in the house walking around turning stuff off

binners

Out-smug even Toyoto Prius owners by converting your car to Flintstone power

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Right ………. how much does it cost to run an 18W lamp for an hour?

Extension – 4 x 50w downlights
    Dining room – 6 x 50w downlights
    Kitchen – 6 x 50w downlights

No idea what that costs but every penny counts!

IanMunro
    Free Member

5-8p

uplink
    Free Member

5-8p

Is that for my myopics nightmare or MFs illuminations?

AndyP
    Free Member

Extension – 4 x 50w downlights
    Dining room – 6 x 50w downlights
    Kitchen – 6 x 50w downlights

No idea what that costs but every penny counts!

Recently swapped all our GU10 50Ws for 3W LEDs. Makes it that much more bearable when she leaves every f****ng light in the b****rd house on, AGAIN.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

5-8p

A minute? A day? 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

An hour.
    0.15-0.18p for the 18W lamp. 🙂

jonke
    Free Member

How about earning more money by working more and reducing hours spent posting messages on forums?

The awesome thing is that I earn a good wage and get to post on here all the time….

Where’s the smug smiley?

Yes me also. Great isn’t it?

My comment was mainly targeted at the moaning work-shy slackers that are having to compare Aldi and Lidl.

Not the work shy slackers like you and me you understand.

Oh c’mon – I’m just kidding.

uplink
    Free Member

0.15-0.18p for the 18W lamp

I knew that woman would be the ruin of me

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Recently swapped all our GU10 50Ws for 3W LEDs. Makes it that much more bearable when she leaves every f****ng light in the b****rd house on, AGAIN.

Yeah I might consider this when these bulbs start to blow but they have all been in since May 2009 and not a single one has blown, despite them being used constantly – especially the kitchen ones.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

An hour.

So up to £60 a year assuming they are left on for 2 hours a day unnecessarily 😯

AndyP
    Free Member

Mine weren’t blowing either, but for £4 a bulb, the thought of running a room at 18W instead of 300W made sense to change as soon as poss!

zippykona

What is it with women and lights?
    As soon as mrs zip gets in its 4 lights in lounge, 7 in kitchen,2 in our bedroom the hall and the landing.
    The heating is also whacked up as the colour she chose for the lounge makes it feel cold.
    Apparently it makes it feel homely. Certifiable.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mine weren’t blowing either, but for £4 a bulb, the thought of running a room at 18W instead of 300W made sense to change as soon as poss!

Okay – so where can I get the cheapest 50w equivalent DIMMABLE LED replacements? And I assume they will fit into the existing housings?

binners

In the interests of balance and equality, I have to confess to always leaving the lights on. Its because the inside of my head is all wrong. I get confused. The betterer half’s constant cries of ‘will you turn the bloody lights off!!!!!” can be heard echoing around the house constantly

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Crikey – this is complimicated. Some are dimmable, some are not, some will retrofit, some won’t. The dimmable ones *may* work with my dimmer switches but I may need to upgrade them too. And it will cost circa. £160 to replace the lights 😯

I think I will stick to the halogen ones for the time being.

AndyP
    Free Member

Get rid of the dimmers, or just beat your wife more.

joolsburger
    Free Member

it’s not just mine then.

Every night when I walk through the door minumum of 10 bulbs on in the house. More if you count the halogens individually.

Often TV’s on the bedroom when no ones in there it’s not expensive but for some reason it really boils my piss.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I was going to say that I don’t even have 10 bulbs to switch on! 😀 But I’ve just added them up, and there’s 11 – that’s including bedside lamps though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Hallway has 5 in total, bathroom has 5 halogens + 2 more on the above sink thingy, landings have 3 on one side two on the other, lounge have either 6 on the ceiling or three sidelights, bedrooms 2 each + bedsides, kitchen/diner 10 halogens + 6 downlighters and she loves them all on ideally.

The thought occurs I have too many bulbs.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Still, nice and cosy in winter with that lot.
    Just remembered, the shed has 4 halogens, and there’s three outside security lights, so there’s probably more wattage outside the house than in 😀

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Add up time…
    Loft 6 x halogens
    Bathroom 4 x halogens
    Bedroom one 4 x tungsten
    Bedroom two 1 x tungsten
    Landing 2 x low energy
    Lounge 4 x halogen
    Kitchen 6 x halogen + 2 x halogen cooker hood lights + 4 x under counter strip lights
    Dining room 6 x halogen
    Extension 4 x halogen

Occasional lighting
    Light one 1 x low energy
    Light two 1 x low energy
    Light three 1 x low energy
    Light four 1 x low energy

Cloakroom 1 x low energy

Outside
    Gates 2 x LED post lights
    Decking 9 x LED decking lights
    Entry/exit light 1 x low energy
    Shed 1 x 1ft fluorescent

😯

toby1

Are we resurecting old threads to save cash too?

singletrackhor
    Free Member

Eat the cheapest food possible, a 3 way saving. Cheaper at the till, die earlier and have less energy so shorter rides, bike and bike bits last longer. 😉

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I’ve stopped filling the moat with Evian.

My swans are furious.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Don’t buy a Dachshund. Their amusing sausage shape means
    they take 50% longer to stroke than other dogs, and time is money.

However, their amusing sausage shape and increased proportional torso length means that their food entry recepticle (the mouth) is further from the food exit device (the bottom). This means that it takes longer for the food to be processed from entrance to exit, meaning that the daschund eats less than a conventionally proportioned dog. Therefore, less money is spent on food and less time is spent on feeding.

THAT’S SCIENCE.

IanMunro
    Free Member

And they make good draft excluders.

AndyP
    Free Member

Just remembered, the shed has 4 halogens, and there’s three outside security lights, so there’s probably more wattage outside the house than in Aye, there’s more wattage on lighting for a single security light on our garage than in the entire house…!

camo16
    Free Member

Just remembered, the shed has 4 halogens, and there’s three outside security lights, so there’s probably more wattage outside the house than in Aye, there’s more wattage on lighting for a single security light on our garage than in the entire house…!

Now there’s a man who needs a lot of sausage dogs. 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm I drive a Prius (and I’m smug as **** me) and the only time I’ve “flintstoned it” was in an old MGB Midget when the floor fell out.. That car was a heap of shi*e BTW, drank fuel, oil, cheese, brakes, roofs and made me cry on more than one occasion.
    I did my bit for the environment when I scapped it.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘In this age of austerity…’ is closed to new replies.