Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)
  • I'm fuming! CRC service sucks
  • ads-b
    Free Member

Situation..

You buy some road bar tape to fit your very normal road bars. I have taken the old one off to fit the new one. Get to start wrapping it on like any other road bar tape which I have done countless times, and it comes up short by a very very long way. I try again. This time I make sure there is the minimal amount of overlap (to the point it starts to pop out when going round the tight bends) still comes up way short. Attempt 3. I don’t wrap it round the hoods which leaves the bare metal of the bracket of the lever showing. Still comes up short.

Now in my mind when you sell road bar tape, it should fit road bars. So email CRC to see if they will send me some new ones that are long enough. Apparently they wont now refund me because I used it. How the hell was I supposed to know their product was inadequate before I tried to put it on?

Surely its ‘not fit for purpose’ as road bar tape if it wont actually fit a road bar. Hence they should refund me?

I have a long string of emails from Mark at CRC which show no sympathy for a CRC customer that has spent hundreds over the years. I was hoping they would just stick some longer ones in the post, but am now even arguing if they will give me my money back for some p!ss poor product.

Grr

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Link to what you bought?

sssimon
    Free Member

what brand of tape? We've stopped doing some brands in the shop as they are never long enough

foxyrider
    Free Member

Think thats a bit cheeky myself – refund or replace wouldn't cost them much surely – Hmm from what it seams that does sound tight? I would say not as advertised?

All the tape I have put on has been way long enough – usually have to cut 2-3 inches off the end 😯

Woody
    Free Member

So you don't have 60cm bars 8) Which tape did you buy?

Last tape I got from CRC (cheap) it had to be fairly 'tension stretched' as it was put on but was fine in the end.

ads-b
    Free Member

Brand X tape

Even has a comment saying its too short. Wish I had read more closely.

And before someone says it, its not about the money, its the attitude of CRC that I am annoyed with.

foxyrider
    Free Member

A call out for CRC here I think – pitty Andy@CRC has gone?

ads-b
    Free Member

For those with time on their hands, heres the email thread (cheeky twunts)

Well no because I would not purchase the car Adam, if the tape was not suitable you could have returned it as stated in the return policy on the website and we could have issued a refund as you have used the tape this is not now possible, but as stated the tape was sold as it comes from the supplier and was not faulty so we now consider this matter closed as we are getting nowhere, we are sorry the item you purchased did not suit your needs but we have sold lots of this item and this is the first issue of this nature we have had so we are confident there is no issue with the tape.

Kind Regards,
    Mark
    —–
    There is something wrong with it! It wont fit a road bar! If I sold you a car that was too small to sit in I think you would quite rightly want your money back.
    —–
    Hello Adam,

We are not sure what you want us to do ? the bar tape you purchased was not faulty and was sold as it comes from the supplier so if it was not long enough for your needs we can only suggest you purchase another, there is nothing wrong with the item you bought so unfortunately we cannot replace it.

Kind Regards,
    Mark
    —–
    It isn’t long enough. When you sell bar tape for use on road bike bars you expect it to actually fit on a standard road bar. Its purpose is “road bar tape”, which it isn’t long enough to do hence its “not fit for purpose”.
    —–

Hello Adam,

We do not understand how it is not fit for purpose ? it sounds as though it was simply not long enough for your needs that does not mean it is faulty, if this is wrong can you clarify what the actual issue is.

Kind Regards,
    Mark
    ——
    I wouldn’t have to return it if was fit for purpose. Hence, I am at least entitled a refund. I was hoping some good will would mean you would exchange without having to go through the effort of posting a half used bar grip back.
    —–

Hello Adam,

We are sorry to hear the bar tape you ordered was not long enough for you but if you want to order more please do so online, as you have fitted the bar tape you purchased we would not be able to accept it back for a refund as per the terms on the website.

Kind Regards,
    Mark
    —–
    Hi,

I recently purchased the Brand X bar tape and found it way too short. Even when I tried to minimise on overlap and stretch it out, it is still way too short. I don’t even have particularly long or wide bars.

I would send it back, but it seems a bit pointless as its going to cost me more than £4 to send it back and I have used one side already so you cant sell it on.

Can you please send me some new bar tape that will actually fit my roads bars please?

I have spent a fair few quid on CRC in the past so am hoping you will resolve this for me easily.

Thanks,
    Adam

mcobie
    Free Member

So Mark at CRC has effectively said **** off you winging twunt who can't wrap bars properly 😯

Got to be honest, the couple of times that I have had issues at CRC their support has been less than helpful 😕

I suppose the length of the tap isn't on the site or packaging? If it is not, and you ordered in good faith then IMHO they have miss-represented the goods and thus have breached the sale of goods act (I am not a legal eagle and this may be total balls :wink:).

Never ends to surprise me that companies are unwilling to help out in instances like this.

As an aside, how are you supposed to wrap the bars with two lengths of tape – surely a join in the bar won't work ❓

meehaja
    Free Member

hmm, I understand why you're cross, but the tone of your email wouldn't make me want to rush to help you out either.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Sounds like awful service to me,
    What tape was it, does it say how long it is on the website?

I can understand how they won't refund without you sending it back. I would suggest you send it back, it won't cost £4 to do that.

retro83
    Free Member

That's bollocks, they describe the item as " includes tape for both bars and chrome bar-ends " and don't provide the measurements, so it seems natural to assume it should fit! His last email is pretty obnoxious too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'm with the OP, unless he is unable to wrap bars, which seems unlikely.

No way should they be selling tape that doesn't fit std bars.

ads-b
    Free Member

I started off the emails pretty politely. But they are slowly disintegrating….

You are selling road bar tape that will not fit a STANDARD road bar. Surely there is a product fault. Its too bloody short! At manufacturing, they cut it too short for it to be of any use as road bar tape.

Its not about the money, and certainly not about 2 miserly quid. I thought you would just pop another one in the post and the matter would be closed. I didn’t really think you would make me jump through hoops for some sodding bar tape.

Adam,
    —-
    You are missing the point the tape is not faulty because there was simply not enough for your needs, the comment on the website is there so you would have been aware the previous customer said it could have been longer for him too but he did not return it or ask for a refund because it was not long enough for his needs, you are not entitled to a refund as there is no issue as far as we are concerned, as a gesture of goodwill we will offer a refund of half the cost but purely as a goodwill gesture if you wish to accept let us know and we will get it processed, if you do not wish to accept the offer then as advised we consider the matter closed.

Kind Regards,

Mark
    —-
    How was I to know the tape was too short before I tried putting it on? And to be fair, it should have fitted in the first place anyway.

Secondly, THIS ISNT THE FIRST ISSUE, there is already a comment on the product saying its too short.

Before you really, really hack off a loyal customer, pleas refund me the money and I will get the tape elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Adam

clubber
    Free Member

I reckon you'd legitimately argue it's not fit for purpose – same as if you bought a gear inner cable and it turned out to be only 60cm long.

Very suprised at CRC though – could just be a numpty who should have been trained better in customer service. Not an excuse though worth chasing it up with a manager.

cupra
    Free Member

Tell him to have a look at your account spend and that in future that will be going to wiggle. Worked for me in the past. I have generally stopped using crc these days.

thomthumb
    Free Member

the tape is not faulty because there was simply not enough for your needs

not long enough for anyone's needs

your first email to CRC wouldn't have me rushing to help though.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Pretty poor service there. I would keep a record of the communication between you and 'Mark' as I'm sure his boss would love to know how he communicates with customers. While I would say that perhaps your first email could have be toned better the way he has responded is totally unprofessional. If he were working for me I would want to know about it and would certainly be having a stern word with him.

Victim of their own success? Expanding quickly and having to quickly hire staff who aren't up to scratch? Pure speculation but I have seen this happen before. I think someone higher up in CRC needs to know about it.

IHN

hmm, I understand why you're cross, but the tone of your email wouldn't make me want to rush to help you out either.
    —–
    your first email to CRC wouldn't have me rushing to help though.

+1

willsimmons
    Free Member

Your next challenge of course is to get contact details for someone higher in CRC, not an easy task I imagine.

You could definitely work on your complaining skills though. While you might not agree it is rarely the shouty or angry customers that get the best treatment when problems occur – I've learnt that lesson.

mcobie
    Free Member

I assume there are two lengths of tape in the packet? If so, have you measured the other (unused) length – are they both the same or is one longer than the other? It may be that one was cut too short during manufacturing and therefore you can go back to Mark and let him know that in fact there was a problem with the product.

Long shot, but just a thought.

mike_p
    Free Member

I had a similar issue with them once, regarding a chain tug that wouldn't fit over the hub spindle: I was advised to hit it with hammer! I think it might depend upon which of the customer service monkeys you end up with.

Either way, this Mark fellow is completely and utterly in the wrong here, on a number of levels. Stop messing around and escalate it, go to his boss.

cupra
    Free Member

Print the emails, post them to CRC in an envelope marked Managing Director, Private and Confidential with a brief, polite covering letter.

avdave2

You are missing the point the tape is not faulty because there was simply not enough for your needs, the comment on the website is there so you would have been aware the previous customer said it could have been longer for him too but he did not return it or ask for a refund because it was not long enough for his needs,

Well it looks like they are fully aware that they are selling something that's not fit for purpose. They should make a note of the issue in the product description or stop selling it. I would just take your custom elsewhere. And make sure you leave a review of the product that makes the problem clear.

uplink
    Free Member

How did you pay for it?

willsimmons
    Free Member

Print the emails, post them to CRC in an envelope marked Managing Director, Private and Confidential with a brief, polite covering letter.

+1

sc-xc

I'm glad you posted this. I was deciding whether to order my road bike from CRC (it was between them and someone else)

After reading that lot, and after a couple of less than satisfactory experiences myself…I will go elsewhere.

IHN

a brief, polite covering letter

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Seems like a lot of hassle for 4 pounds.

grumm
    Free Member

Well done CRC – you just lost a road bike purchase over being stingy about some bar tape. 😆

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think I'd not be polluting my mind with anger over this. It's bar-tape. Save it for when you're next strangling a fairly small kitten and buy some more, preferably from a shop.

Interesting on their site though. One lot of tape gives a length measurement (185) and a couple of others say "Each roll is long enough to ensure complete coverage on all handlebar sizes". I'm now deeply sceptical of any tape on their site that doesn't give this assurance…

thehustler
    Free Member

how did you pay if cc or paypal raise a dispute if debit card a bit harder, also point them in the direction of this thread and see how their 'good' name is being tarnished

ads-b
    Free Member

Given up being polite (some may say I never was). Am going to ring CRC and speak to his boss. Anyone know who I should ask for?

p.s. they have seen the thread…

Mark,

There is no ‘insistence’ that you send me a new one. Just a request. However, I was not expecting you to also turn me down for a refund as well. As a good customer, I was hoping for some better service rather than the drawn out affair we seem to have gone through now. It seems utterly pointless for all involved if I had to send back a £4 set of grip with one half being used. I would have thought my past purchase would have guaranteed me as an honest customer who isn’t trying to rip you off.

Im not going to the effort of sending you some useless grip tape and wait weeks for a refund or replacement (or neither). I also have to use the bike, which right now even though it doesn’t cover the hood clamp, is just about functional. Having to take it off makes my bike totally unusable. You are aware it is a poor product from previous comments. Whether other people have bought it and just binned it not wanting to waste their time arguing over £4 is up to them. How about you get some out of your warehouse and give it a go, and you will see it wont go round the bars?

Rather than take you up on the offer, I think I will just ring up at some point and speak to your manager, forward him your emails which show your totally inability to deal swiftly with a £4 customer complaint, and see what he thinks.

Have a nice day,
    Adam
    —–
    Adam,

Thanks for the link but having read all replies you will agree it is more about the fact that you are insisting the item is faulty which it is not and your insistence that we simply send you a replacement without checking up on it is not the procedure we use , your reluctance to meet us half way as we have sold loads of this bar tape with no issues seems to account for nothing so it appears we cannot win with you on this, if you do not want the tape return it to us and we will have it checked and if there is an issue with the tape you bought we will issue a refund.

Kind Regards,
    Mark

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

Looking at the OP's first email that he considers to be worded "pretty politely" I'd say that'd be more of a challenge than getting the tape to fit the bars.

Nonsense
    Free Member

Not wanting to give away any tricks of the complaining trade but you can always look at the format of the company email address then establish the name of someone important at the company. If names aren't listed on their website, companies house website is always a good place to start. Then send the boss a slighty more politely worded email attaching the original text. The last time I did this the company concerned went from unhelpful and combative to bending over backwards and extending some of the best customer service I have ever experienced.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Life is toooooo short to dwell on this. Get some Deda bar tape from High on Bikes (ebay), good quality stuff, order it now and you might get it tomorrow.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Hmm – your first mail was a little arsey IMHO i.e. demanding replacement tape etc etc – however I still feel in your case the tape was not fit for purpose – would they sell a chain which was too short or brake cable half the std length without putting a lenth on teh item?

Not sure your gonna get anywhere – I would vote with your feet and not give them your custom if you feel robbed? 😯

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

It's bar tape. Get over yourself. And technically CRC are right. If you bought trousers that were too short then it'd be your own fault. I suspect that the length is actually fine for a lot of people who just want their tape to end past the bend.

cupra
    Free Member

Patience is not a strong point is it? 😕

grumm
    Free Member

Have to agree that life is too short to get wound up about this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 195 total)

The topic ‘I'm fuming! CRC service sucks’ is closed to new replies.