Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • I'm after a good read – Sci-Fi, Fantasy/Horror & Crime genres.
  • deluded
    Free Member

I’m currently off work with an injury and am busying myself reading but am drying up of decent material.

What’s worth a read? I’m looking for recommendations in the Sci-Fi, Fantasy/Horror and Crime genres.

In terms of Sci-Fi I’m into stuff like the Takeshi Kovacs saga by Richard Morgan. Fantasy/Horror wise I’ve previously enjoyed Michael Moorcock’s ‘Elric’ sequence of Eternal Champion novels and H.P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu Mythos tales. As far as Crime goes I’m into anything by James Ellroy, Jim Thompson etc.

Essentially I’m after anything dark, gritty, noir-ish in any of those categories.

Cheers.

kimbers

a man with taste !
    alistair Reynolds revelation space series dark hard scifi
    Dan simmonds illium is awesome too not so dark still scifi
    China mievilles perdido street station would probably ne right up your alley dark steampunkish fantasy
    fantasy wise George rr martins game of thrones kicks ass – hbo series better do it justice ! and be as brutal
    Ian m banks culture novels are superb space opera

cormac macarthy -start with no country for old men

epicyclo

Death’s Head by David Gunn

Stan Nichol series on the Orcs – sort of Lord of the Rings from the Orcs viewpoint. Good fun.

Or for old SF, anything by Eric Frank Russell for some lighter reading.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Elizabeth moon vattas war / Serranos legacy series is decent SF

Cougar

Bit leftfield but, I think you might like the Felix Castor novels by Mike Carey.

Sorta hardboiled noir detective stories, except the protagonist isn’t a detective, he’s an exorcist.

They’re not hugely highbrow, but they’re a lot of fun.

TheFlyingOx

For sci-fi, I’ve always enjoyed the Iain M Banks books, especially the Culture-based ones. Basically, humans/humanoids 20,000 years down the line and after the AI singularity. In a similar vein are the Isaac Asimov Foundation series.
    Neuromancer by William Gibson is always worth a shot too.

TheFlyingOx

Also, kind of in the crime section, but purely because of the way it’s written rather than the content, maybe try the New York Trilogy, by Paul Auster.
    I can’t quite put my finger on why I liked the book(s) so much, but I did.

emma82
    Free Member

Fantasy/horror and crime? You are clearly a bit detached from the world, a bit twisted and likely murder someone and cut them into little pieces or sew them together to make one lone centipede. Why not try something like a nice Lesley Pearce instead? Good for the soul and will bring a tear to your eye. Some of them even have rude bits in them!!

EdwardH

Joe Abercrombie is good, sort of norse / medievel full of dark and often nasty characters, where things dont always turn out for the best. Best Served Cold can be read on its own, though some of the plot lines make a bit more sence if read after The First Law trilogy.

I would also second anything by Alistair Reynolds and Iain M Banks

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Brian Lumleys Necroscope series (but just the first five books)

househusband

Another vote for Jo Abercrombie, and may I suggest Jo Nesbo for crime thrillers.

funkynick

For dark and gritty sci-fi I’d be looking at some of the Cyberpunk authors… William Gibson, Neal Stephenson and Bruce Sterling…

For a bit more of the noir side of things I’d suggest Phillip K. Dick… his ‘Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep’ is what become the film Bladerunner. He wrote a huge number of books so should keep you going for some time there…

Iain M. Banks for pure sci-fi… but just remember to go for the ones with the M in his name… he also writes ‘normal’ fiction as just Iain Banks, which is bloody good too by the way.

peteimpreza

On the crime front try the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connely.

Del

although i read a few of reynolds’ books i just didn’t care about his characters very much.
    banks is a favourite of mine as well though.

tadeuszkrieger
    Free Member

Really …….just dump the Sci fi/fantasy/speculative fiction or whatever the hell it’s called this week, Work your way through the Jim Thomson and James Ellroy you ain’t already read. Jo Nesbo is kind of ok, but can suffer from very leaden translations and really blindingly obvious plot arcs, so be careful when you pick one up .

If you like Ellroy and Thomson, try Raymond Chandler,James M Cain, David Goodis, Ken Bruen, Horace McCoy, Kenneth Fearing( his “The Big Clock” is a great read in any genre) Otto Penzler and of course Henning Mankel if you haven’t already. If you’re really keen, try Don Delilo’s Underworld.

vondally
    Free Member

tad williams war of the flowers
    china melville
    neil gaiman American Gods…………sorry a must read
    David Gemmell…..druss the legend
    Moorcock…………..castle brass/hawkmoon
    HG Wells……………time machine/the island of dr moreau
    Joe abercrombie…………..brilliant one of the great characters of any genre
    Peter Hamiltion…. oh forgot the name now
    Iain Banks…….all intresting
    Clive Barker…………Weave world

konabunny
    Free Member

Arnaldur Indridason / Inspector Erlendur stories

Petros Markaris / Inspector Costas Haritos stories

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Classic SF – Nivens known space series.

winston_dog
    Free Member

+1 for Iain Banks, although not sure on his later stuff.
    +1 New York Trilogy Paul Auster

Have you read Peace and War Trilogy by Joe Haldeman? I’m not a massive sci-fi fan but thought that was excellent.

Try these for inspiration Top 100 sci fi
    SF masterworks

marco
    Free Member

The song of Phaid the gambler – Mick Farren
    Stephen King’s earlier stuff
    Owt by Philp K Dick (esp Citizen of the galaxy)
    The Hell Candidate – Luke Thomas (Graham Masterton)
    James Hadley Chase for excitment
    Owt by James Lee Burke

Coyote
    Free Member

Read the rest of Moorcocks “Eternal Champion” series, plenty to keep you doing there.

Also, Clive Barker’s “Great and Secret Show”. His “Books of Blood” volumes I to VI are worth a read too.

Neil Gaiman for “Neverwhere”, “American Gods” and the “Anansi Boys”. “Neverwhere” is a must read.

There’s a few weeks worth right there!

TheFopster
    Free Member

If you want a truly great crime fiction book I’d recommend going back to the greatest – Raymond Chandler. Any of the Philip Marlowe books are worth reading. Just re-read them all, and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Genius – all crime fiction owes him a debt.

deluded
    Free Member

Thanks very much – some excellent suggestions there.

China Miéville has at times piqued my interest but I suspect his works might just a bit too weird even for me.

I’ve read a number of the other authors mentioned such as Lumley, Gibson, Banks.

Having done a little research this morning I must say that I like the look of Joe Abercrombie, Alistair Reynolds and Neil Gaiman (I love graphic novels and have encountered Gaiman in that sphere but never got round to reading any of his novels). Ken Bruen seems appealing as well.

Cheers.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Going a bit leftfield here, can i suggest Pratchett and the Discworld series of novels, I think they cover all the above bases over the course of the series.

Twin
    Free Member

China Mieville again here, though The Scar would be my preference to Perdido Street Station.

Travis

I’ve just read Dune again.
    Brilliant book, way ahead of its time

jwt
    Free Member

Poul Anderson – There will be time
    +1 Clive Barker – Weaveworld
    Larry Niven – Ringworld / Known space
    Anne McCaffrey SF / Fantasy – its all quite good.
    Robert Heinlein – Starship Troopers (forget the film, only thing it shares is the title!)
    Bob Shaw – Orbitsville, etc
    Patrick Robinson – Nimitz class (more of a thriller, but very enjoyable)
    Arthur C Clarke – worth a trip to the library and see what they have
    Douglas Adams – Hitchikers guide
    Stephen Donaldson – The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Unbeliever.

vondally
    Free Member

peter hamilton judas unchained

mary gentle ash (* really really good)

Stan nicholason ORCS! (funny and pleasing)

Gemmel Jon Shannow books

Clifford Simak City

Creg

Another vote for Alastair Reynolds and the Revelation Space series. Chasm City was a personal favorite.

I’m assuming you have read Market Forces by Richard Morgan?

Iain Banks has done some great sci-fi stuff. Even his non sci-fi stuff is brilliant. I read The Wasp Factory a few years back and it was great, a good mix of humour and plain wierdness.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m currently reading my way through Neal Asher’s books – scifi set with human race run benevolantly by AIs. Well worth a go

finbar
    Free Member

George rr martins game of thrones kicks ass

I wish he’d hurry up and finish the next one though!

grum
    Free Member

+1 to:

Ian M Banks (mainly the culture novels but some of the others are good too)
    Alistair Reynolds

deluded
    Free Member

Right,

As a result of researching your recommendations I’ve just ordered from Amazon the following –

“A Game of Thrones” – George R. R. Martin
    “The Blade Itself” – Joe Abercrombie
    “Revelation Space” – Alastair Reynolds

I’m grateful, thanks all.

TheFopster
    Free Member

No one else feeling the love for Raymond Chandler? I must be getting old.

vondally
    Free Member

tell us how you liked them!
    Rayond chandler
    elmore leonard
    damon runyon
    agatha christie

great stuff

juan
    Free Member

Brian Lumleys Necroscope series

I concur, SF wise I’ll add the books from Karen miller and the shadow trilogy from brent week.
    Greywalker from kat richardson is worth a look.
    While we’re on the book topic I am willing to buy book if some of you want to get rid of your stuff. I read mostly SF. And getting books in France is a pain in the ass (plus lets face it I am currently broke so can’t afford new book anyway).
    Let me knowif someone is interested jfernandezcarmona on the gmail dot com

Saccades
    Free Member

master of the 5 magics, dunno who wrote it.

steven erickson stuff, his mates is good too.

dan abnett 1st and only stuff or inquisition.

peter hamilton too.

coogan
    Free Member

On of my all time fav books ‘Spares’ by Michael Marshall Smith. That film ‘The Island’ was a complete rip off of it and no where near as good. ‘Only Forward’ and ‘One of us’ by him are excellent too.

juanking

All of the Malcolm Pryce stuff, From Aberystwth with love, Last tango in Aberystwth, Don’t cry for me Aberystwth. Can you see a theme?. If you like noir, spy, detective stuff then try these. These are still my favourite books in this genre and Malcolm Pryce is truly excellent.

Saccades
    Free Member

oh, brentford triology is good too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘I'm after a good read – Sci-Fi, Fantasy/Horror & Crime genres.’ is closed to new replies.