• This topic has 63 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by wors.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • If the universe isn't infinite…
  • camo16
    Free Member

…then what’s on the other side?

This thread follows on from the God thread and the certainty one way or another that some posters express.

So, if we’re in the mood for big questions, what are your opinions?

Only subjective opinion expressed as objective fact permitted!

Klunk
    Free Member

the matrix

user-removed
    Free Member

It’s circular innit?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Nothing. No space, no time, just nothing

legend
    Free Member

Chuck Norris

morgs
    Free Member

another universe

camo16
    Free Member

another universe

And on the other side of that one?

Infinite universes?

philconsequence
    Free Member

all the socks and spare change i’ve lost over the years i assume as i’ve looked everywhere!

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to figure out what a void is, but I just can’t get my head around it. Oh well, no matter.

Space isn’t a vacuum if that helps. So maybe at the edge of space there is a proper vacuum, or maybe there is nothing, as in, no reality. You couldn’t go there, because there is nothing there. Same as asking what comes after the edge of your computer screen.

It’s circular innit?

You mean spherical? I’m not sure, something says it might be doughnut shaped, but please don’t ask me why.

jackthedog
    Free Member

..then what’s on the other side?

MBUK

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

..then what’s on the other side?

Lycra and skinny wheels.

GrahamS

Take a strip of paper, twist it one half turn then join the two ends.

You’ve just made a Möbius strip

If you were travelling along the surface of this paper then you could travel all over it, to the exclusion of everything else. (i.e. there is no other side)

So now imagine that, but in four (or more) dimensions…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Seriously though – it is impossible for the universe to go on for infinity, just as it is impossible for it to stop as surely there has to be ‘something’.

And if it does stop and there is absolutely nothing on the other side, a sense of being absolutely nothing, how can the universe expand into it?

And another thing – how can we use biiiiiiiig binoculars and see back in time to the big bang?

toby1

It’s a glass bubble – holding everything in, otherwise it’d all just fall out!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The universe and the planets are just atoms making up a really big chair leg.

camo16
    Free Member

Doesn’t the Möbius strip have edges? (In which case, there’s surely got to be something beyond the edge). Or is this a four-dimensional perception breakdown?

ski
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member

The universe and the planets are just atoms making up a really big chair leg.

hope its not an ikea one!

Harry_the_Spider

Just outside the edge of the universe there’s a car park, a BFO Argos, a KFC and probably a Carpet Right.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I’d just take it as infinite.

glenh
    Free Member

Unfortunately we aren’t equipped as a species to imagine 4D surfaces!
    Graham’s Möbius strip or the inside of a sphere for a closed 2D surface are about the best examples that can easily be imagined.

But the original question is flawed – there can’t be another side unless the universe exists within a higher dimensional space. If the universe is everything, then there is no other side for anything to be on.

Gingerbloke
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider – Member
    Just outside the edge of the universe there’s a car park, a BFO Argos, a KFC and probably a Carpet Right.

You forgot Nando’s……!!!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

hope its not an ikea one!

Their meatballs are the super-atoms holding the very fabric of existence together – eat them all and the remaining atoms will implode, causing another Big Bang.

The new life springing forth will follow their leader GÅD

RealMan
    Free Member

GrahamS, mobius strips are too easy, check out a klein bottle.

Seriously though – it is impossible for the universe to go on for infinity, just as it is impossible for it to stop as surely there has to be ‘something’.

And if it does stop and there is absolutely nothing on the other side, a sense of being absolutely nothing, how can the universe expand into it?

And another thing – how can we use biiiiiiiig binoculars and see back in time to the big bang?

The universe currently has a finite size, which is fairly simple to work out, although you do have to make a few assumptions. Assumptions withholding, the universe will never reach infinite size. Stuff in reality doesn’t tend to reach infinite anything, as it’s more a mathematical concept. Reality has physical limits.

If there is nothing on the other side, surely it should be easy for the universe to expand into it. Much harder if there was something, surely? Really though, who knows. Go get a degree in astrophysics and come back and tell me.

The whole looking back in time thing only works if you can move faster then the speed of light. We can’t do this normally, so how about we assume we can use worm holes or something to move huge distances very quickly. So you move out 100 lightyears away from earth, in the space of a few seconds. You then get a mega powerful telescope, and look back at earth. The light that has left earth 100 years ago is just reaching you now. So you can see, with a birds eye view, what happened 100 years ago. Simples.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

If there is nothing on the other side, surely it should be easy for the universe to expand into it.

Well no – if you don’t have three bedrooms in your house, you can’t put a bed in the third bedroom. The bedroom does not exist.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This (without Shakin Stevens)..

RealMan
    Free Member

Yeah, but you could build an extension on to the house, assuming there aren’t trees in the way.

I fear this analogy may have already gone to far.

kevin1911

But if the universe is expanding, it has to be expanding into something. At least, that’s what normal human logic tells us. My opinion is that normal rational thought can’t really be applied to the concept of the universe.

camo16
    Free Member

The expansion of the universe – surely – would erase the existence of the house’s exterior wall and outside impediments (trees). A wall would appear further away, the house would have three bedrooms and IKEA furniture would sprout out of nothingness – and disintegrate four months later.

GrahamS

Doesn’t the Möbius strip have edges? (In which case, there’s surely got to be something beyond the edge). Or is this a four-dimensional perception breakdown?

Yeah, it only really represents one metaphorical dimension. It’s a struggle to imagine what a two-dimensional version would look like, never mind our own 3-dimensions + time + whatever unknown dimensions we are subject to but haven’t yet discovered.

RealMan
    Free Member

My opinion is that normal rational thought can’t really be applied to the concept of the universe.

Yeah, also our level of education and understand holds us back a lot. Might as well ask what neutrinos smell like or something. Nothing wrong with trying though.

Yeah, it only really represents one metaphorical dimension. It’s a struggle to imagine what a two-dimensional version would look like, never mind our own 3-dimensions + time + whatever unknown dimensions we are subject to but haven’t yet discovered.

KLEIN BOTTLE. It’s a 4 dimensional mobius strip embedded in 3 dimensions.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

RealMan – Member
    Yeah, but you could build an extension on to the house, assuming there aren’t trees in the way.

Well yes, you can build an extension because there IS something outside the house…

GrahamS

We can’t?

Klunk
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Dmn87-mDE[/video]

camo16
    Free Member

KLEIN BOTTLE. It’s a 4 dimensional mobius strip embedded in 3 dimensions.

I so want to understand what that means…

RealMan
    Free Member

We can’t?

Theoretically, you could (I think – just). Do you read anything I write? 😉

Well yes, you can build an extension because there IS something outside the house…

Yes, but what does a neutrino smell like? The other side of the universe is not something we are really able to understand I think. It’s fairly simple to accept there is nothing there, and hence it is easy to expand into it. All depends on your idea of nothing, though.

kevin1911

Because there are still radio waves emanating from the big bang, and becuase there are certain events, like collapsing and exploding stars which have certain similarities to the start of the universe. At least I think that’s what PBC said…

RealMan
    Free Member

Camo, have a look here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klein_bottle

I think it’s actually 2 mobius strips combined, to make a 4 dimensional object that exists in 3 dimensions. Or something.

TRIPLE KLEIN. Don’t look at it too hard, it starts to hurt your brain.

camo16
    Free Member

RealMan, I have looked.

I kind of get the no right or left and no boundaries concept, but isn’t there still an outside?

GrahamS

Theoretically, you could (I think – just). Do you read anything I write?

I do. But I disagree.

You can use a big telescope to magnify the image of a very distant, say 100,000 light years away. And yes you are looking at a 100,000 year old image of that star.

but you can’t look back to see the big bang, because (unless the universe is expanding faster than light) the light from the big bang is at the very edge of the universe so you’d have to leave the universe to observe it.

RealMan
    Free Member

Not in any mathematical definition of the word. Think of a hollow sphere (like a football). It’s got an inside, and an outside. A klein bottle on the other hand, doesn’t. If you put your finger on the surface anywhere, you can draw your finger along the surface to anywhere on it. You can’t do that with a football.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘If the universe isn't infinite…’ is closed to new replies.