Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • If I put on my small block 8's…
  • rewski
    Free Member

will it rain?

frogstomp

Yes, somewhere.. although it may just be coincidence…

woody2000

Put mine on last night, it hasn’t rained yet 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

If it does, I’m very sorry.

Gribs

I put one on in March, it rained through April. It came off 2 weeks ago and now look at the weather.

Clobber
    Free Member

Is buying small block 8’s a minefield like Maxxis?

i.e. you need 3C compound, maxxpro, EXO walls, 62a, SPC, eXc, etc… with prices almost doubling between the options?

Or do you just buy the size you want and get on with it?

cakefacesmallblock

Reckon I’m going to soon be cakefaceformerlysmallblock sometime soon. Having only one pair of wheels and recently gone tubeless, I simply can’t be bothered !
    It would probably rain mid-faff. 🙄
    Pair of decent nick Smallblock 8s anyone ?

kayak23

I’ve had my small block 8’s on for about a year and a half, during which time its rained, snowed, hailed and sun’ned.
    All fine. 🙂
    I find them quite fun in mud.

cakefacesmallblock

Kayak; so did I. Just got sick of me mates blaming my tyres, every time I crashed. But truthfully it was lack of talent. Every time ! Have crashed less last winter and spring, with a bit more grip though !

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve fallen back in love with my SB8s of late, they’re on my hardtail and are doing an admirable job of containing 80psi.

The look on the face of the roadie you’ve just blitzed up a hill makes it all worthwhile.

Mine are 2.3″ and are absolutely mahoosive – just like the Nevegals they seem to blow up far bigger than everyone else’s 2.3″ tyres.

As soon as I offroad on them it’s going to pour down though, according to the law of sod.

GEDA
    Free Member

Mine exploded in the Kielder 100. Never again for both the Kiedler 100 or Small block 8s.

woody2000

Suprisingly, the SB8s seem to be a decent tyre in quite a lot of conditions. The exceptions seem to be damp grass and cobbles/slick rock. 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

I’m going to try a slant six upfront and sb8 rear

Janesy
    Free Member

I’ve proved that Maxxis aspens are far better than sb8s.

Northwind

They’re surprisingly good at thin mud. And no worse at sticky mud than most wider-spaced knobblies, they become a grip-free road roller in much the same way.

Not sure I’m going to bother with mine this year though, the Slant’s not drastically slower and it’s quite a bit grippier and more flexible.

h4muf
    Free Member

Can’t get on with mine.Pinch flat city at 40 psi.

RustySpanner

woody2000 – Member

Suprisingly, the SB8s seem to be a decent tyre in quite a lot of conditions. The exceptions seem to be damp grass and cobbles/slick rock.

Excellent – a tyre specifically for Southeners. 😉

Shorty121
    Free Member

I also have had my SB8 explode on me 🙁

takisawa2

Had them on training wheeled bikes, & now the clown wheeler. Love them. Way way more capable then such a tyre should be. Stupidly light (less than 500g for the 2.1 version!!!). Roll like a road tyre. I came down the MachX on them a few years ago & managed to live to tell the tale. 😆

In fact, Ive just picked up a 2.3″ set for my latest perrchase. 😉

chamley
    Free Member

People take small blocks off? i’m confused… I love mine, probably less grip than some in the mud but then that’s more fun isn’t it! When they do break away they’re nice and predictable too. lovely stuff

garage-dweller

If you live in Hampshire pop them on for a few days as I.am sick of watering the tomatoes and spuds every morning. Take them off again for the weekend tho’.

Thanks

rudedog
    Free Member

Used one on the rear for most of last year and didn’t see what all the fuss was to be honest – decent enough grip but just felt draggy. Changed to a crossmark 2.25 and feels a lot better – quicker, bigger volume and just as grippy.

Northwind

Weird, I went from a Crossmax to an SB8 (2.35) and would say exactly the opposite.

Toasty

I run them all year round on my 29er. I was tempted when the Slants came out, but for another 150g I’d want something a lot more meaty.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘If I put on my small block 8's…’ is closed to new replies.