Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Ice-tec rotors
  • honourablegeorge

Are they lighter?

trevron73
    Free Member

There better?? probably?? they work for me never get too hot ,I’ve not smelt the brakes since i fitted them ?

yoshimi

Try and find the pic later but someone on Facebook ended up with molten aluminium pour from between their disks on the mega

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^Please post

DickBarton

Whit??? Wind up surely?

banks
    Free Member

Yep, was/is on the boggies fb page. Apparently the Ali core of the rotor or the brake pads backing

yoshimi

DickBarton

Got a link please?

yoshimi

On phone so awkward, will do when on laptop

DickBarton

Blimey, that looks ‘interesting’…

matther01
    Free Member

Easy…use less brake n more speed!

No issues with either of my sets and dont bother with the finned pads either.

sharkattack

Interested to find this as I was just about to do a search.

I was just riding in France for two weeks and I killed a pair of these rotors in 4 days. Brand new Saint brakes, with the finned pads. The rotors are goosed. Full of deep grooves and with molten aluminium smeared from between the steel sandwich. The rear is the worst but the front is also useless. And I’m certainly not a brake dragger.

In 15 years of riding with disc brakes I’ve never worn out a rotor. I had to switch to the Avid ones from my trail bike and then they were perfect.

They’re from the LBS and they’re going back tomorrow.

teasel
    Free Member

Bleeding hell – that’s a bit of a design flaw. Glad I opted for the plain ol’ steel version.

STATO
    Free Member

How long till someone knocks out a ‘finned’ steel version? surprised hope havnt done something clever like that (other then their vented rotors for specific brakes).

alpin
    Free Member

spoke to the “Doctor” at Lake Garda a few months back. he thought i had ice-tech rotors when he glanced at my bike. realised i hadn’t and then showed me his five rotors that were all twisted/fubared.

he said the same as above… the alu can’t deal with the heat and melts/deforms.

they are sold as race kit/top end stuff and in my experience top end race kit doesn’t last very long.

use the finned pads, but ditch the alu/steel rotors…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Holy Frijoles!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Not even a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

EDIT: shouldn’t exist!

Sanny
    Free Member

I’ve sent a pair back and am awaiting a response from Shimano. My rear one warped in the heat after four days in the Alps. The front one warped on a sub zero day descending off a Munro on a non tech descent. It bent to the extent that it rubbed against the caliper which made for a tough climb up the second mountain on the ride. Mine were an early set so it may well be that I was unlucky.

Re the rotors melting. How hot do rotors get? Would that not need a temperature of approx 660 degrees to melt aluminium? Is it not perhaps aluminium oxide build up?

Normal Shimano rotors for me from now on I reckon. 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Strange. I know a couple of very very quick guys who used them in the Alps with no issues at all.

twohats
    Free Member

Strange. I know a couple of very very quick guys
    who used them in the Alps with no issues at all.

So going by this logic nobody should be having issues!?

daver27
    Free Member

i’ve got them, they are loads lighter. other than that, i find the normal rotors work better, centre lock for me doesn’t seem that secure, my front rotor in particular has some rotational play.

i’ll stick to cheaper more secure “normal” rotors

peterfile
    Free Member

Strange. I know a couple of very very quick guys who used them in the Alps with no issues at all.

Perhaps they are very very quick because they don’t brake much Chunky? 🙂

rhid

I warped my rear one badly just riding along! Actually i do not know how I did it but it was beyond help. I got a regular steel rotor and cannot to replace it and cannot tell the difference at all. I wouldn’t bother with the Icetech rotors again to be honest.

Got XT brakes with steel rotors + finned pads on my DH bike and coming down Snowdon the other day they were perfect. I reckon the finned pads are the best component at managing the heat.

honourablegeorge

Hmm. Not filling me with confidence. Had the RT76 rotors on all the bikes, never had a problem, but have managed to dent my front, and the rubbing is driving me mental, and I can’t for the life of me manage to true the thing so it stops rubbing. Was considering replacing it with an ice-tec, for lightness purposes as opposed to any of the heat stuff, but if they warp easily, I might just pass.

Two different metals sandwiched together sounds like a recipe for warping anyhow – same as an old thermostat, isn’t it?

daver27
    Free Member

not quite honourablegeorge, they were bi-metallic strips, so bent one way or the other depending on the temp. these will stay straight as the aluminium core is sandwiched between two layers of stainless, so it cannot bend under heat.

either way, they are lighter, there is no appreciable difference to a normal rotor in terms of feel and power when riding. big difference in the wallet/pain ratio mind you.

conclusion is, if you are a weight weenie, great, if not, not much point!!

honourablegeorge

The two layers of steel will resist the warping force, dave, but the force will be there.

Only considering them because they’re the same price as the RT76 on Merlin, so a lighter rotor for the same money seems a good thing.

daver27
    Free Member

hey, if they are the same price, then there is no point in not buying them! they are a whole chunk lighter

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Ice-tec rotors’ is closed to new replies.