Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • I wrote an eBook about cycling
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Well actually I cheated a little and used some articles I’d written previously as a framework, but after much stress and Kindle format hackery I’ve managed to get it up on Amazon Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder

I even namecheck Chipps in there as well. I’d appreciate any feedback on the listing, I know the picture is a bit pants but I’m not very good at that sort of thing.

njee20
    Free Member

The picture is a bit part of what sells it – if you’re not good at it (looks alright, just a bit low-res) get someone who is!

DavidB
    Free Member

Bit tricky on my budget as the book is 98p! Is the pic that bad?

stumpy01

The pic doesn’t look too bad to me. Perhaps a little ‘overdone’ with the contrast slider, but it gives you a clear idea of the book.

I didn’t realise you could write books and get them up on Amazon for sale.
    That’s pretty neat!

njee20
    Free Member

Is the pic that bad?

No, like I said, looks alright, just a bit low-res if I was being critical.

Was a general comment (as you’d picked up on it) that if you’re not good at it get someone who is. Don’t necessarily mean paying hundreds to a professional, get a mate who knows Photoshop, and buy him a beer.

DavidB
    Free Member

stumpy – it is flippin hard work let me tell you that! But The publishing process is quite straightforward once you have sorted the text out.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I think the picture looks good.

Its meant to show physical effort by increasing the contrast ?
    So only the important things stand out.

I think that sometimes kinda happens when u really try hard and feel a bit faint.

DavidB
    Free Member

Bet nobody can tell me where it was taken?

D0NK

road, out of saddle steep, hairpin = hardknott? but I guess maybe scotlandshire somehwere?

DavidB
    Free Member

scotlandshire is correct, which island?

mangoridebike

Lewis?

epicyclo

Skye?

DavidB
    Free Member

It’s Skye..wish I was riding there right now

epicyclo

Windy and wet right now, must be summer. 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Thought the ‘About the author’ read very pratchett like. If the books in that style you’re onto a winner (imo)

DavidB
    Free Member

DT78, read the intro which is available for free by clicking “Look Inside” and tell me what you think?

tootallpaul

David, what’s your full name? Having difficulty finding your book on my kindle.

Cheers

P

tootallpaul

Ok- found your full name from the link above, but your not coming up on a kindle search? I can buy through the amazon site, but not with my device. Odd- worth having a look into, as your losing a lot of potential buyers.

That said, I’ll get a copy through the main site…

P 🙂

tootallpaul

Ok- found your full name from the link above, but your not coming up on a kindle search? I can buy through the amazon site, but not with my device. Odd- worth having a look into, as your losing a lot of potential buyers.

That said, I’ll get a copy through the main site…

P 🙂

emsz
    Free Member

Read the free bit on the train this morning, was quite funny 😆

DavidB
    Free Member

tootallpaul: You can buy other versions at Smashwords including iPad and Sony/Nook compatible formats.

emsz – that’s my life you’re laughing at there..it’s all true, only 98p and then you get to read the full truth about singlespeeding.

DavidB
    Free Member

Whoops..I misunderstood you tootallpaul, I will look into that. Thanks!

mattk
    Free Member

just reading it now. I like the dry daft humour, really enjoying it.

but like tootall says I couldnt purchase it for my kindle via my Android phone.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I think the pick is okay, brings out the pain we all feel on a big climb 😀 I think you could of had a picture of yourself smiling on the All About the Author section, instead of the miserable git one. 😉

DavidB
    Free Member

I think you could of had a picture of yourself smiling on the All About the Author section, instead of the miserable git one.

What and misrepresent myself?

DavidB
    Free Member

but like tootall says I couldnt purchase it for my kindle via my Android phone

Just tested on Kindle and a Search for Dave Barter brings it up ready for purchase. I think maybe there is a lag between publishing and availability?

withersea
    Free Member

Look forward to reading your book and many congrats on getting yourself published.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Bought it and reading it now.

Thoroughly good fun! Already worth 98p 😀

Smudger666

Is it available in the I store?

Edit – spotted link

DavidB
    Free Member

Thanks for the nice comments. If anyone is thinking of doing the same I am hoping to put together a bit of an idiots guide which I’ll stick up on my website. There is a lot to think about and if I had known what I know now I could have saved days of pain in formatting and other issues.

The ultimate arse is Amazon. As a new author there is no point pricing above a £1 as nobody will take a punt, and in my case that wouldn’t have been a good idea as the book is a string of articles. So Amazon take 65% if you price under £1.80 ($2.99). You can guess I am totally raking it in at the moment. I have to sell 2.8 million books to become a millionaire. Therefore the day job will have to be something a little more mundane.

smudger666: You have to go through an approval process..takes days.

bellerophon
    Free Member

edited as a double post, never done that before 😕

bellerophon
    Free Member

Hey Dave, well done on getting the eBook done; now where’s that quid, it’ll be here somewhere, ah there it is… 8)

One day I’ll ride down your way 😉

Tony

bellerophon
    Free Member

I have to sell 2.8 million books to become a millionaire

2799999 eBooks now…

clubber
    Free Member

Found it on my android absolutely fine and have splashed out 🙂 It’d better be good 😉

tootallpaul

Cheers Dave- I picked it up from the link, and look forward to having a read soon.

Blackhound

Just downloaded it. Says it is ranked #1,077 in Amazon shop.

Hopefully a bit happier story than my current book – reading about Graham Obree’s childhood in ‘The Flying Scotsman’. That is looking like it will be a tough read in places so I am expecting YOU to cheer me up!

darrell
    Free Member

is it on Amazon.com cause I cannae download it cause I live outside the UK

clubber
    Free Member

Flying Scotsman is a good read but by god, it’s not a happy one…

windowshopper
    Free Member

Bought. Looking forward to a good read this evening. 🙂

deadslow

Just bought it as well, will start it tonight….
    Now up to #1066 in the best sellers
    How high can it go!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘I wrote an eBook about cycling’ is closed to new replies.