• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hock.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • I seem to have killed my trusty Inbred :(
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Chain jammed really badly yesterday, just taken it apart today, saw what looked like a crack, lightly tapped it with screwdriver and it went straight through 🙁

This was one of the 853 edition so not the first to die in this manner. Anyone know how much a chainstay will cost to get fixed? or is it beyond economical repair?

ahwiles
    Free Member

there’s years left in that.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

get it brazed up. loads of life left in that

RestlessNative
    Free Member

what just braze the hole up? bit worried all the other metal there has worn thin?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I think Mr Poddy of these parts is the chap, I recall he had a similar 853 ‘bred repaired

slugwash
    Free Member

Argos in Bristol quoted me around £80 (& courier return) for basic chain stay replacement when the same thing happened to my 853 Inbred (though IIRC only main triangle is 853)

Not as severe as yours though. Does anyone think you could get this one brazed up rather than replace the chainstay??

andyl
    Free Member

both of those frame are quite rusty which won’t help.

Get em down to argos for a repair and see about getting them completely repainted before they disappear!

Alejandro
    Free Member

£80? Treat yourself to a new one! Inbred’s are cheap as chips.

Actually, looked at the On-One site after I wrote this, they seem to be far more expensive than I remembered…

andyl
    Free Member

older ones are more flexible (pre CEN) and the 853 are rare.

I’d get it fixed.

Just built a pre-CEN 20″ for a friend after fixing it (rear triangle bent). It’s just a DN6 one but I wish I could have a proper go to try it out as the tubes are nice and slender (bit too big for me 🙁 )

z1ppy

If PP doesn’t pop up soon, drop him an email.. IIRC it wasn’t a cheap repair but get this info and make your own choice as to whether it worth it to you.

IMG_7232

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I seem to remember he had the chainstay reshaped to for more clearance?

might just move on and buy something else as I’ve had my moneys worth out of it

scandal maybe…I’ll see how I feel after a sleep

DaddyPig
    Free Member

Perhaps time to treat yourself to something without holes in it.

bencooper
    Free Member

I fix things like that by brazing a patch over the top. Just brazing the crack won’t last for long – a patch will be as strong as new, and a lot cheaper than replacing the stay.

I’m in Glasgow, if that helps.

freeandsingle
    Free Member

£70 for a new chainstay from Bob jackson cycles:

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/repairs_pl.php

PJay
    Free Member

They had silly wide chainstays (I have an 853 frame in the shed) and chainsuck could make a real mess of them. Peter Poddy had the driveside chainstay replaced on one if I remember rightly.

— Edit, should have read the whole thread, already mentioned, sorry. —

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions I think I will just look for a 16″ Scandal for now and do a swap over then see about getting a whole new chainstay put in with better clearance at some poing when I have more time. Don’t really want to plate it as I will end up with even less chainring clearance.

hock

If PP doesn’t pop up soon, drop him an email.. IIRC it wasn’t a cheap repair but get this info and make your own choice as to whether it worth it to you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_atkin/sets/72157606218858424/

😯 worth it !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘I seem to have killed my trusty Inbred :(’ is closed to new replies.