Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • I *might* have whooping cough – any docs about
  • theotherjonv

Based purely on internet self diagnoses (yes, flame me) but what started as a mild cold 3 weeks ago, then became a scratchy irritable cough, has now become typically 8-10 bouts of coughing fits that make me gasp to draw breath back in and feel like I’m choking on my own phlegm/saliva (nice!), retch and one one occasion, chunder.

I saw the doc when the irritable one wouldn’t go away and he gave me ventolin and Clenil as he said it was probably asthma related (I have a mild history)

Do i need to go back – if it is W-C I think once the symptoms appear I’m not infectious any more anyway, so antibiotics to prevent infection of others are pointless? Otherwise, i just sit tight and wait for it to go away again in a few weeks….

alfabus
    Free Member

have you written a will?

Drac

Sounds like a chest infection made worse by your asthma to me but I’m not the internet.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

don’t think it’s a chest infection, the cough is all neck upwards. i’ve had chest infections / pneumonia before as a result of asthma preventing me shrugging off a basic cold and this is nothing like it.

DrP

Interesting.
    I’ve recently seen a few cases – and despite being immunised, Pertussis (official name) can occur as (as I understand it) the immunity wears off.

See a GP, suggest it, they can do a test (Blood round here) and give antibiotics.

Or…it’s that bout of Feline Asthma AIDs going round…..

DrP

smeg
    Free Member

I have exactly the same thing! ,Started as normal cold (10 weeks ago) then crackly chesty cough…now just an irratation at the back of my throat. Had a few weeks where you’re gasping for air as you cough and therefore make a wheezing sound, Mrs thought it was funny.

Doc gave me a weeks worth of antibiotics. Nothing on my chest now & cough is slowly going (been saying that for what seems weeks though). May have to go back to docs and see what’s going on.

theotherjonv

Thanks drP, will make another appt.

smeg: has it stopped you doing anything (bikewise I mean)

i felt like shite last week, mainly because I was getting hardly any sleep and that always makes me feel shite.

But apart from these bouts of coughing now, in between i feel fine. While coughing….. at times I feel like I may actually pass out when I can’t get a breath in.

scaredypants

could be pertussis – “fairly common finding” in adults who cough for 2 weeks I think

If it is you are likely still contagious (though less so than ealry on) and it is pretty easy to pass on – any unimmunised kids in the household (it’s one of the standadrd ones to give), or frail giffers ?

(some colds take ages to go – easily the most likely explanation. What are you coughing up – clear/opaque/coloured/bloody ?)

smeg
    Free Member

I didn’t do anything for about 3 weeks (end of April/beginning of May time). Then did some easy rides / running. Problem was getting out of breath caused a coughing fit, so took it very easy which felt fine. Also ran a marathon at the end of May which probably isn’t the best form of recovery 🙂

It’s now just a niggle at the back of my throat and don’t cough all that much & much less wheezing when I do cough, so it is going I hope. Feel fine otherwise. Still not pushing too hard on the bike or running though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘I *might* have whooping cough – any docs about’ is closed to new replies.