Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • I don't want a fag, I don't want a fag, I don't want a fag
  • bearnecessities

AA?RgH

One chuffing morning in?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ask yourself – do you want cancer?

Maybe they should force fag companies to print CANCER down the side of each fag.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Go for a run – the last thing you’ll want after is a fag!

Drac

martinhutch

Comfort eating – replacing smoking since 1875.

iolo
    Free Member

Chewing gum, not that nicoteen rubbish.
    You really must want to quit.
    Don’t cut down, it does not work that way.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Two countries separated by a common language… 😳

wwaswas

I don’t want a fag, I don’t want a fag, I don’t want a fag

I think you do!

look at this comparison;

now you don’t.

khani
    Free Member

Get one of these..
    Seriously, I smoked for thirty five years on and off and stopped completely when the mrs bought some of these,
    And some Red label absinthe flavour E-liquid to go with it..

portlyone

Who’ll carry your cricket bat?

momo

Keep it up, I’m 5 months off them now having smoked for about 15 years. Feeling so much better for it (and better off too!)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

portlyone – Member
    Who’ll carry your cricket bat?

Or warm the bog seat for you on cold mornings?

😀

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Stay strong!! Just tell yourself you’re not going to smoke TODAY

Do this every morning. It breaks it down into manageable targets. Rather than saying your not going to smoke ever again.

I stopped with nicotine mints. Every time I got a craving I had a mint. It stopped them. I have to admit being on the mints for six months or so, but eventually I found I was running out of them and not caring. So I just stopped those too, that was easy.

Best thing I’ve ever done. I am freeeeee!!!!!!

bearnecessities

Did the ecig thing thanks, just ended up back on the nasty stuff.

Had some kind of epiphany this morning that smoking owns me. Pics helping thanks 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

As a non-smoker I can’t imagine being in the grip of something like that. It must be one of those things that sneaks up on you and like you say, owns you.

samjgeorge86
    Free Member

Also a non smoker, so I can’t understand what it’s like. My missus was a smoker, she quit one day, and hasn’t smoked since, now even the smell makes her stomach turn.
    You will be free of it soon enough I’m sure 🙂

binners

I’ve just had one for you. Because I’m an idiot! Do you want to end up as stupid as me? No! Well then….

Get an e cig.The one that khani recommended

I’ve got mine charging at the moment, I’m going to give it another go at packing in

See what you’ve done now!!!

khani
    Free Member

I’m surprised it didn’t work, I’ve had mine three months and not looked back, if you still get cravings using one you might need a stronger nicotine content liquid to start off with.
    I started on 24mg liquid but now I’m down to 14mg and on the next batch going to 10mg and weaning it down gradually
    If you smoke a lot you need to start on a higher strength liquid.
    Good luck whichever way you go with it.. 😀

Coyote
    Free Member

I did it cold turkey, after smoking for many years, at the age of 39. 47 now and extremely grateful I stopped. The difference in *everything* is amazing. Congratulations, you are now an ex-junkie. Keep it up.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

My dad is only 67, he has smoked all his life.

He is absolutely wrecked thanks to this. His lung function is ruined. He has emphysema. He is on steroid inhalers, he wheezes and coughs continually. 9 holes of golf is like scaling Everest.

It is heartbreaking.

Don’t do it.

jekkyl

Switch to just smoking weed. then you’ll just crave 3 peanut butter sandwiches in a row followed by a tub of pringles.

organic355
    Free Member

yoshimi

I quit last summer…went on a lads night out last December and thought having just the 1 will be ok..arrgghhh back on them

Quit again in January…went on a stag-do in May and thought having just the 1 will be ok..arrgghhh back on them

Quit again nearly 2 weeks ago…first week was a bit rough, felt a bit clammy all the time, very short tempered, and actually felt a bit depressed

However, feel much better about things this week and ~I just realized that reading this thread is the first time I’ve given any thought to smoking

It does get easier

Now I just need to avoid lads nights out…I’m on a Christmas pub crawl tomorrow…dammit!

joolsburger
    Free Member

My father died on Christmas eve 2009 (miserable sod could have waited till boxing day) from lung cancer caused by years of smoking. He looked frightened and was in shit loads of pain, not an easy death. I can’t get across to a stranger what that looks like but I’d simply say don’t smoke, it’s a shitty way to go. Stick with it, I found the nicotene mouth sprays worked really well despite giving me hiccoughs. Also reaching the top of climbs without wheezing like an old man feels very good indeed. I still have the odd e-cig down the pub which just goes to show how addictive the bloody stuff is.

boxfish
    Free Member

You can do it if you really want to. Be strong.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I quit 16 years ago. I got up one morning with the thought “I don’t want to do that any more” in my head, and went cold turkey. Never had one since

just repeat the mantra “I don’t want to do that any more”

winston_dog
    Free Member

The hardest thing I ever did was quit smoking.

I was smoking 30 – 40 a day and I quit by using Nicorette gum. I got the weakest strength and chewed it only when the cravings were killing me.

Tasted awful, then after a couple of weeks I actually enjoyed the taste and then the penny dropped. I didn’t really enjoy cigs, it wa spart of my brain tricking me to get its fix.

Drac

Some retro anti-smoking to keep it real.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evIrwW6cLCg[/video]

Coyote
    Free Member

john_drummer +1. This is exactly what I did.

njee20
    Free Member

look at this comparison;

Jesus christ. That’s grim. I watched that for about 3 minutes!

billyboulders
    Free Member

After 25+ years of smoking my riding buddy had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. He was in a coma for four days on the brink of death. His whole life has been turned upside down. Goodness knows when he’ll be able to ride again and if he can ride again whether he’s going to be able to ride like he did before. No warning, no outward signs (we were out for a night ride as usual two days before) Just BANG!! one minute everything is fine, the next everything is fubar.

He is 42 years old.

molgrips
    Free Member

Go for a ride with binners*. That’ll show you how bad fags are for your riding!

* I should point out this is also a convivial experience as well as educational

bobmac892

Like many, quit on and off for a few years and then it stuck a ciieyears back. Still get the very odd craving nowadays but…

Stop, breathe, have a drink if water and tell yourself “it will pass.”

It will pass and with practise cravings can be dealt with quicker and quicker. One day at a time and don’t forget to praise the little achievements, an hour, a morning, a day… All adds up to a healthier you and the difference biking will be a revelation.

Keep it up.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Had some kind of epiphany this morning that smoking owns me

This is probably the main reason I stopped. Obviously the risk to my health and the expense were factors, but somehow as a smoker you gloss over these, it is indeed a wicked drug.

I got pissed off with being a slave to it, having to constantly make sure I had some cigs on me, and feeling slightly paniced if I left them at home or ran out late at night. Stupid really. The amount of times I’d drive way out of my way to buy some cigs, just so I had some for the next morning. I also hated waking up and a fag being the first thing I thought about. Also began to hate having to have one after a meal, when everyone else was quite content to sit back and relax, I would be getting twitchy and hatching an escape plan for a cig.

If you haven’t done so read this it’s not the miracle cure that many say it is, but it does break down a lot of the psychology of smoking, and will give you a few more epiphanies which should see you home.

Good Luck.

bearnecessities

Blimey, some really helpful/sobering stuff thanks.

Why does shoveling 3 packets of niknacks, frazzles and a tunnocks teacake help so much?!

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Blimey, some really helpful/sobering stuff thanks.

Why does shoveling 3 packets of niknacks, frazzles and a tunnocks teacake help so much?!

Something to do with your hands, and gives you something else to think about!

Paul McKenna has a technique to divert the mind, it involves repeatedly tapping the back of your hand with two fingers from the other hand when you get a craving until he urge passes. it works.

binners

Thanks Molls. I think.

qtip

I’m one month in. There’s been a couple of days where I’ve smoked, but I’ve made sure to get straight back on the wagon. The first week was a nightmare but it has been fairly easy since then. I’d avoid the e-cigs – I tried them a few times and always ended up back on the real things after a couple of weeks. You’re not breaking the habit of smoking with them, which is the key thing in my opinion.

I ate loads during the first week (I didn’t try to fight it, quitting the fags was bad enough) but after that I didn’t find that I had to replace the cigarettes with anything. Maybe try and avoid booze for the first couple of weeks too, but if you do cave while having a drink then make sure you throw away and cigarettes that you have left at the end of the night.

cardo

There is a very good book by Allen Carr ( no not the annoying one with glasses) it’s an easy read and gets into your head.. it changed the way I think about smoking, no patches or gum or e-fags just an easy way to quit.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Last couple of weeks and especially the last few days and hours with my step Dad dying of lung cancer at home was absolutely horrible for everybody concerned.

I promise you you don’t want to go through that, or put any of your family or friends through it either. I know we all die and there’s no easy way but that was the hardest time in my life by miles. The one and only grace was everybody got to say their goodbyes. Getting upset just sat here thinking about it all again.

Be strong and kick it for good.

harsh I know, but I genuinely HTH!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘I don't want a fag, I don't want a fag, I don't want a fag’ is closed to new replies.