Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hyundai santa Fe
  • TheLaw
    Free Member

Any thoughts? Good , bad or indifferent?

onandon
    Free Member

A few years go while in the states I hired an SUV. I was expecting a yank tank but they gave me a Santa-Fe.

Initially I was gutted but it turned out to be a bloody good car. I’d never buy one in the UK as i’m a bit of a snob, but in the US they are a highly regarded brand.

andyl
    Free Member

I quite like the new sportage actually. Would definitely consider one over the overpriced euro brands.

khani
    Free Member

I used to deliver new ones on contract hire, the 2.2 diesel was best, they were nice to drive, never broke down, loads of toys, big, quiet, comfy, and rubbish on juice, bit like any lifestyle 4×4 really.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

We’ve got a terracan – great big ugly thing, loads of fake wood on the dash, etc, really, really bad on fuel and doesnt handle all that well. Funnily enough, I love it.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

I have one – bought an ex-demo 57 plate a few years ago, now on 70k miles. 7 seat diesel auto in the mid level CDX trim (so leather, cruise control, heated seats, self levelling suspension etc.). Use it for towing, bike duties (it’s fairly tall, so need a step to get the bikes on the roof).

Bad points:
    – Radio is crap, non-RDS in 2007 for goodness sake. I listen to music or radio 5 (on MW) and cricket on LW, so not a massive issue for me. The RDS thing was was fixed on post 2010 versions I believe. CD autochanger will read CDs with MP3s, so large capacity, and it sounds pretty good (power amp under the driver’s seat).
    – Interior is plasticky compared to a more expensive car (I came from a SAAB 95 estate) – it has stood up to my kids for almost 4 years though.
    – Fuel consumption is mid 30s mpg (it is a 7 seat auto weighing nearly 2 tonnes though)

Good points:
    – The diesel engine with auto gearbox is very good. Very easy and relaxing to drive. Post 2010 versions got a big power boost (with less emissions)
    – Very good on long journeys – quiet and comfortable.
    – The 4WD system only comes on when it needs to (or when you set it), and it works really well in the snow and ice we had over the last couple of years – no dramas in slippery car parks.
    – Very flexible – all 5 rear seats fold into the floor. Rearmost seats OK for medium sized adults for shorter journeys
    – Proper spare wheel fitted, which I like.

Overall, it’s a big family car that doesn’t fall into the £400 VED bracket (unlike the XC90 and Discovery, which I also looked at). The minor issues I’ve had have been fixed without quibble under the 5 year warranty. The acid test is – would I buy another one now if I was replacing it, and I would.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I have one, a ’55 plate bought nearly 2 years ago, by god it’s ugly, but when you are sat inside you don’t notice how bad it looks!
    Was originally bought for work duties(working on the digital swap for tv) has handled everything I have thrown at it Land Rover tracks,farm tracks,mud,snow..
    Has now been moved on to family duties including holidays France,Nederlands and France again from Central Scotland. Great car for motorway driving with the cruise control, only slight downside is boot space for 5 of us for 3 weeks holiday, maybe just need to cut the amount of crap we take with us!
    It now has nearly 130,000 miles on the clock and as said above mid 30’s mpg,all in all one of the best cars I have owned!
    Buy one you won’t regret it!

bruk

Have started buying the petrol ones used and then having a gas conversion done for the farm vets. Seem pretty comfortable and stand up to abuse pretty well. Seem better than the Shogun Warriors being used before.

TheLaw
    Free Member

Thanks for your input. Going to view a couple…the boss will have the final say though.

Edukator
    Free Member

There are plenty of vehicles with better accomodation that will greenhouse the planet at a significantly lower rate. A proper eco-terrorist’s vehicle. Sometimes the freedom of choice given to ditizens goes too far and this vehicle demonstrates it.

No better way of saying “I’m selfish, ignorant (of environmental issues), a fashion victim and marketing man’s puppet. It’s like driving a v-sign.

PePPeR

No better way of saying “I’m selfish, ignorant (of environmental issues), a fashion victim and marketing man’s puppet. It’s like driving a v-sign.

He’s looking at driving a bloody Hyundai not some Porsche, Audi or RangeRover.

If he needs a vehicle to do the job at least a Hyundai isn’t pandering to a load of marketing bullshit!

petrieboy

We used to be able to get new hyundais on lease for £99 a month so we’ve had the whole range. Pretty good cars in my experience. Had a SantaFe diesel for a while. Very comfortable on journeys, not bad on fuel (all things considered) when cruising and coped well with snow and muddy fields. New version is supposed to be comprehensively better.
    The smaller Tuscon was not as nice to drive but was still a decent car. Coupes were lovely for the money.
    As has been said, interiors are not up to german standards but are robust. Get a top end spec one tho (they were not much more money new so I’d be surprised if you could easily source the budget ones) and it’s a nice place to be.
    I’d have one if I needed to row anything and wasn’t concerned about fuel economy.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A proper eco-terrorist’s vehicle. Sometimes the freedom of choice given to ditizens goes too far and this vehicle demonstrates it.

Greenwash at it’s worst. We should all be riding wholemeal raffia peace-bicycles and recycled undies.

This is why tree hugging earth-muffins all come across like loonies. There may be a valid point for being aware of your emissions, but enviro-facism isn’t it.

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s looking at driving a bloody Hyundai not some Porsche, Audi or RangeRover.

The emissions are as bad though.

Just for a little comparison, I hired a Ford Galaxy auto the other day and it got 45mpg quite easily.

This is why tree hugging earth-muffins all come across like loonies. There may be a valid point for being aware of your emissions, but enviro-facism isn’t it.

Unfortunately you can complain about greenies all you like but they are actually right. It’s just that people don’t want to hear it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hyundai santa Fe’ is closed to new replies.