Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Hydro discs on CX/Road bike – nearly possible!
  • LS
    Free Member

Maybe I don’t want to replace two custom-built frames and eight pairs of wheels? 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well that’s a new reson…so you admit DEFEAT? 😡

charliedontsurf

NOW POSSIBLE….

uses formula hydro brakes, and converts cable to hydro. Mike is a nice chap who makes my bottle openers for me, he designed these.

The RRP is looking like £140 gbp. And I am taking pre-orders on these now.

charliedontsurf

Lets try again…

NOW POSSIBLE….

uses formula hydro brakes, and converts cable to hydro. Mike is a nice chap who makes my bottle openers for me, he designed these.

The RRP is looking like £140 gbp. And I am taking pre-orders on these now.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/324-labs-brake-adapter-run-hydro-disc-brakes-on-your-drop-bars-1493-p.asp

mattsccm
    Free Member

Charlie.
    Looking at you website, the pics are not over clear although I guess they will improve. Is that 1 hydro unit under the stem activated by both cables and pushing both front and rear brake or is it 2 units, 1 front and one rear?
    Looks a good idea.
    Do I take it that you need the Formula clipers only or the who unit, levers and all?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just had another look. Am I right in thinking that the kit modifies the original lever/cylinder assembly?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

cos they are better innit. when did you last hear someone say “I prefer that system becuase it doesn’t work quite so well”?

My point is, disk’s aren’t “better”.

Tiny weedy XC disks are no more powerfull than canti’s, and no ones going to go for the heavy option are they? And how hot do brakes get on a decent, now inagine the chaos as 150+ riders in the peleton all boil their fluid coming down alp-du-huez at the same time at 70mph?

charliedontsurf

There are two units in there… and you need a set of formula brakes to break up / adapt.

This picture shows one unit… makes a bit more sense.

charliedontsurf

Yeah… discs are not needed, generally… but if have a salsa fargo loaded up, heading down a mountain, in the rain, full of merlot… hydro would be very welcome.

Militant_biker

now inagine the chaos as 150+ riders in the peleton all boil their fluid coming down alp-du-huez at the same time at 70mph?

Probably similar to the carnage caused by the glue melting and tubular tyres rolling off because the rim has got too hot. Ask Joseba Beloki.

oldgit
    Free Member

Chaps the bodged Deores went onto my Midge bars and work a treat.
    Plenty of coverage in the drops, and tbh you only ride Midges in the drops.
    Don’t need fantastic access from the tops.
    Riding on the hoods isn’t an option, but the hydros only need a little touch from the top bend.

The Midges and hydros gave fantastic total control

mattsccm
    Free Member

Aha. Clear now.Ta

ericemel
    Free Member

Brakes just slow you down 😀

charliedontsurf

Brakes are for losers… and look at me here on near winning form on rod brakes…. the fastest brakes know to man*

*about 9 years ago before I turned into a saddle tramp.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My goodness that is fugly charlie. Good on you for doing it tho.

charliedontsurf

Fugly: me, the bike or the brakes?

1930’s pashley post office bike down hawkecombe valley near porlock.
    It’s been crashed so many times now that not much is left. Still a bit fugly

MrOvershoot

thisisnotaspoon – Member

now inagine the chaos as 150+ riders in the peleton all boil their fluid coming down alp-du-huez at the same time at 70mph?

Can’t remember them racing down Alp d’Huez, its a climb, always a stage finish not on route to anywhere else.

But I get your point.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Hydro discs on CX/Road bike – nearly possible!’ is closed to new replies.