Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • HT Advice – Rock Lobster or Inbred?
  • tp2000
    Free Member

Hello there.

First post here – been loitering with intent for a while now though, so hope that you can help me with your experiences and thoughts!

Have narrowed down my HT choice to either a Rock Lobster (steel, I think) or an On-One Inbred.

At this point I’m stumped – I genuinely can’t make up my mind on this either way.

In terms of my riding, will be mostly trail type riding. I don’t jump off silly things nor attack DH with wreckless, carefree abandon……my sense of self preservation seems to stop that.

What are people’s experiences of both these bikes? What would you do?

You help would be much appreciated – especially as it might stop the puzzled look I’ve currently got on my face.

Thank you!

nukeproof
    Free Member

Welcome

As a starting point, have a search as this has come up a few. Here’s one thread which suits…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rock-lobster-853-or-on-one-inbred

🙂

Oggles
    Free Member

This was asked earlier in the week http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rock-lobster-853-or-on-one-inbred. Rock Lobster for lighter XC riding like what you described. Inbred might stand up to a bit more grief but honestly, the Lobster is pretty tough! RL has nicer finish and details too.

Wharfedale
    Free Member

It was me that started that thread. Received the RL 853 yesterday. Can’t wait to get it built up. Really nice finish on the frame and spot on 4 1/4 Lb which is pretty light for a steel frame.

Not riden it yet but think it should be pretty special.

tp2000
    Free Member

Ahhh, apologies for missing those. Reminds me of my school reports, a definite “could do better”!

So, on reading that am leaning towards the RL, however am in the strange position of finding myself obsessing over the 2cm difference in top tube length between the two bikes. Apparently size does matter then!!!!

I know its horses for courses (could I get any more cliché’d phrases in here?!), but do any 6’+ types have views on the Lobster and its top tube length? I should add that I do obviously still value the opinions of people under 6′ – I am in no way size-ist! Equality rules here!

Thank you for your help and prompt replies though earlier – much appreciated!

Lummox

i rode a RL 853 a few years back – i believe in 19″

Loved it, nimble and light and one of my biggest regrets selling.

I’m 6’5″, 100kg, like to ride hard and do silly things the RL never missed a beat.

jonb
    Free Member

IMO, if I was looking at complete bikes I’d go with the rock lobster (I assume from Merlin).

I ride a 456 and love it but I’d be swayed by the value for money of the merlin bikes (my first bike was from them). Hand build wheels, decent groupset, nice frame and forks.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am still gutted i had to sell my RL 853 last year to fund my current bike. Especially now i am in the market again for a XC whippet 😐

taxi25
    Free Member

What type of fork do you want to run? The 456 starts to come into its own with a longer travel fork 130mm ish.The r/l 100mm or so.I’d go for the r/l as a x/c type bike and the on-one for harder hitting stuff.Decide what type of riding you do and you have your answer.

Oggles
    Free Member

Length of mine is fine, 6’4. (21″ bike came with 110mm stem). I wouldn’t like the bike to be any longer, and thinking about putting a shorter stem on with a bit more rise. Inbreds come with shorter stems though IIRC so won’t that make em about the same arse to hands length?

Edit: I went with the rocklobster cos of what jonb said. Better value for money for a full build imo, (and I wanted Hope kit)

jonb
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get hung up on fork length, I went from 100mm to 140mm on my hardtail after the 100mm broke. I am now sadly not able to do anything more than I was before. The biggest difference is the quality of the fork, going from 2004 mx comps to 09 revs which I think has made most of the difference and feel.

There’s a red 853 in the bike shed at work and it looks lovely, a lot nicer than my inbred.

househusband

…am in the strange position of finding myself obsessing over the 2cm difference in top tube length between the two bikes…

I’ve got the Easton alloy RL frame, and it is indeed very short! I’m 6’2″ and have the 19″ frame, built up as a local/short/fun ride ‘hack’ bike – is fine for that but I might find it a bit short on breathing space for longer rides.

tp2000
    Free Member

Even more great advice – thank you.

So, in terms of riding, mostly trail type, nothing too ridiculous, but I do like a challenge, but that will just be trying to ride down something quite steep as opposed to jumping over 27 cars holding the bars between my teeth! 😆

Good to hear views from some taller types, that has really put my mind at ease over my gangly arms!

I suspect Merlin might be receiving an order this weekend…….just need to resist the urge to tweak the spec too much!

Thank you again for all the help and advice though, has been exceptionally helpful.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

When in the same position last summer, I plumped for the Rock Lobster, as the Inbred wooduv been too long for me.

Lovely, lovely little bike. I’m actually very surprised at how good it is, considering how cheap it was (£400 with Reba Teams!!!).

Wharfedale; can we see pics when is built up?? 😀

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I’ve had my RL 853 for 2 years now & love it.

Keva
    Free Member

I rode a 16in SS inbred for a couple of years and thought it was great, fun lively bike. Then I bought a 15in 853 Rock Lobster and built it as a 1×9 like this…

the lobster is even more fun and lively to ride.

Kev

househusband

May as well join in – here’s mine:

1×9 Setup, fitted a BBG bash and N-Gear JumpStop since photo taken.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘HT Advice – Rock Lobster or Inbred?’ is closed to new replies.