Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • HR – Staff appraisal question :What to say?
  • chopperT
    Free Member

How the hell do you answer this?

5. In light of your current capabilities and your future personal growth and/or job aspirations, what activities and tasks would you like to focus on during the next year? Again, also think of development and experiences outside of job skills – related to personal aims, fulfilment, passions.

johnners
    Free Member

Can't really say, no idea about

your current capabilities and your future personal growth and/or job aspirations

IanMunro
    Free Member

I had a pretty similar question on mine recently and responded with fun facts about ferrets, as the appraiser likes ferrets.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mountain Biking

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Give them an answer as confusing as the question..

But in other words.. are they saying that due to the fact you can fettle bikes for eg, then you must be mechanically minded, so therefore you could try adding that experience of self motivation and attention to detail from other sources not just your job (I dont know what you do for a living) – in other words – dont sit on other skills that can be shared with your company.. that sort of bollocks.. more work for less pay..

br
    Free Member

Easy, just say whatever it is that you'd like to do (usually to get up the next 'rung'), and make sure it requires training to do it. Mention the training you want to take. And add how it will make you a more valuable employee…

surfer
    Free Member

br is right. Its not a difficult or silly question.

Xan
    Free Member

Basically a Personal Development Plan. Look at roles that you want to progress to. Look at role description and requirements. Give ideas of what you could do going forward to gain experience in these areas, and prove that you can achieve these objectives. Ask your employer for support in this. Sometime seen as a way for your employer to get more out of you without giving you extra money, but in this day in age it's starting to be the only way you can progress. If you are happy where you are and don't want to progress any further explain this to them

project
    Free Member

Its basicly some person who has been on a course and found a useless phrase to use in their job as a personel dept,it looks good and means nothing.

Bit like a question i got asked a few years ago when i was offered a ful time job,after doing the job for a year part time.

If you died today what do you think your work collegues would say about you.

bensales
    Free Member

I spun that question around. I told them the job role we have within the company that I want to be doing within the next two years and asked them to tell me what they thought I needed to do in order to be put in that role.

So far, it's worked…

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Just started a new load of nonsense at my place, capabilities, development plans etc etc

In the end just said i didn't have a clue what they were on about and was far too busy to waste hours on all this rubbish
    See what happens now I suppose, my only aspiration is stay a bit longer and retire, not really developing these days either

Trekster

I told them the job role we have within the company that I want to be doing within the next two years and asked them to tell me what they thought I needed to do in order to be put in that role.

So far, it's worked…

Did something like that at an "aspirational" meeting a while ago at my work knowing full well there is nowhere to go ❗
    Asked the boss/HR person when and if they would be making the position available 😈 Did not go down well 🙄

Wife has to do 20 or so of these interviews every year. The only promoted post available is hers ❗

chopperT
    Free Member

I'm quite happy to constructively discuss stuff like training, role progression etc. in a meeting, but find having to one sidedly develop some kind of self introspective development plan a little difficult.
    I'm not a touchy-feely person.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘HR – Staff appraisal question :What to say?’ is closed to new replies.