Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How would you like your steak? (advice sought)
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

Afternoon kids.

Me and Mrs. S are going out for a meal tonight and having persused the menu, I’ve decided I’m going to have the filetto Nerone. Fillet of beef, fresh bay leaf, pancetta, brandy and black pepper butter with gratin parmesan potatoes.

Now this is how I like my steak. I usually fry a (20mm-ish thick) fillet for 3-31/2 mins each side. This gives me a steak that’s cooked through but still very moist, giving brown juices out onto the plate.

What would this be on the “how would you like your steak scale?” Medium rare, medium?

unsponsored
    Free Member

Raw, i like my steak well done/ cremated.

anto164
    Free Member

that sounds like the more well done side of medium.

I like mine medium rare, still needs to be rather pink in the middle.

Drac

This gives me a steak that’s cooked through but still very moist, giving brown juices out onto the plate.

What would this be on the “how would you like your steak scale?” Medium rare, medium?

Ruined on my scale but it’s probably classed as medium.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d say that was blue.

derek_starship
    Free Member

TSY – you’re incorrigible !

wingnuts

I think thats well done. I like mine to still be shuffling about on the plate. However you should adjust how you cook it depending on the cut. Basic rule of thumb is that if you’ve got fat in the meat, like a ribeye, cook it more to melt the fat and get the taste flowing through. If its a lean cut then much rarer as heat will make it tougher.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

On the “How would you like your steak sir” Medium is what you describe.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

I’m a medium to well done person myself.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Term (French) Description Temperature range
    Extra-rare or Blue (bleu) very red and cold 46–49 °C

Rare (saignant) cold red center; soft 52–55 °C

Medium rare (à point) warm red center; firmer 55–60 °C

Medium (cuit) pink and firm 60–65 °C

Medium well (bien cuit) small amount of pink in center 65–69 °C

Well done gray-brown throughout; firm 71-100 °C

Overcook blacken throughout; crispy >100 °C

Hmmmm – sounds like I’m a medium-well kinda guy.

Junkyard
    Free Member

surely a man is medium and a lady is medium well?

ton

medium rare here.

3 mins one side, 1 minute 30 seconds the other side…perfect.

Harry_the_Spider

I know where you are going DS. Chances are it’ll be cat. Check the kitchen bins for Davy Crockett hats.

sunnrider
    Free Member

Have you ever noticed that a medium or a rare in one country is well-done in another.
    Last time I went home (Ireland) I asked for a very rare steak and I was given one that was more brown than pink (no red stuff in sight). I sent it back saying that it was well done. Next one came out maybe a half shade less done but was basically shoe leather.

That French descrption sounds about right apart from the “cold in the middle” bit. Just let the meat warm to room temp. before cooking and about 10mins before put it on a metal tray above the grill.
    That´s what we do where I work, it´ll let you control the colour and crispiness of the outside without having to send out cold meat.

On my day off I´ll eat at a Ciderhouse drinking the local sidra direct from the barrel and eating one of these off a charcoal grill:

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Fillet? rare or Medium Rare, anything beyond that is a waste of good meat!

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Medium well. I’m paying for it to be cooked, the least they can do is all the way through.

Naranjada
    Free Member

Cut its horns off and wipe its arse?

Lifer
    Free Member

I agree with Z11 😯

jonba
    Free Member

Cut its horns off and wipe its arse?

could be brought back to life by a good vet?

I normally go rare in pubs etc. and medium rare in steak houses or restaurants but well done in France. Should still be pink in the middle.

crikey
    Free Member

Have the fish.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s one of those rare moments (did you see what I did there? Did you?? 😀 ) that I must concur with Z-11. 😯

A good steak just loses it’s flavour if you overcook it. I used to ruin steaks for ages, until I read something about ‘high heat short frying time’. Now, as I explained t’other day, 1-1.5 mins per side, 2 mins max if it’s a thick lump. Even cheaper cuts like rump taste great cooked like this. Hell, I’ve even bought basic ‘frying steak’ in a supermarket and flash-fried it 30-45 secs per side in a very hot payn; more than acceptable.

Mmmm…

As a result of this thread, I am going to have a nice steak for me tea tonight. 🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Finish it off with that Muller rice thing what your mum left…

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

D’you know what; I think that’s still in me bloody fridge! 😯

My mum’s murders. I’ve never liked rice puddings. she knows this. Quite why she brings them round and leaves them in my fridge I have no idea. 🙄

What I need to do is get Little Emsz to come round and pinch it…

EDIT: It’s still there! And now there’s two of ’em! They’re breeding!!!! 😯

Ye Gods….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Thin and lightly charred on the BBQ with lots black pepper and Worcester sauce, in a bun, with onions and possibly chutney.

Unless it fillet minion done on a griddle-pan in which case “Medium” (according to that picture).

sambob
    Free Member

Medium steak from Plas-Y-Brenin last night was more than acceptable, i was pleasantly surprised….

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How would you like your steak? (advice sought)’ is closed to new replies.