• This topic has 22 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How visible is the number on your house?
  • tiger_roach
    Free Member

I often have trouble locating house numbers when driving down a road there really needs to be a standard for this sort of thing! Well I daresay it's just me but in order to be a positive influence on the world I've cut the hedge back from where it was concealing my number….

JEngledow
    Free Member

We've not had a number on our house for about 2 years (we replaced the door and I've not got around to replacing the number yet, I might do it this wk-end, or not!).

We live in a small cul-de-sac and no-one has trouble finding us (look at next door and add 2!) 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

No number on my house.

Drac

Not too bad and yes it's very frustrating when there's no numbers on houses, even more so where the houses are numbered strangely.

GrahamS

A number??

Surely one's estate has a name, not a vulgar number.

And there is no need to display it as any peasant in the village can point to "t'big 'ouse on t'hill"

😉

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Our number/letter combination is on the wall… at the back of the house where the door is. You'd have to be stood in front of it to see it

cyclistm
    Free Member

GrahamS – wrong thread

spacemonkey

Our's is visible only once you're in the garden, not the road (that's 150m away).

project
    Free Member

A few years ago was a driver for the local GP on call service, working till 2.00am in the morning, we would get a call saying mrs Jackson is unwell etc, so we would drive out, this was before satnavs,find the road etc.

One night a DR brought his high powered searchlight with him, and started shining it at peoples doors at 1.30 am,we thought we had the right house, no number etc,unlit path , so i stayed in the car pointing the light up the path, DR knocked on the door, no answer and no number on the door.

A few minutes latter as i was on the radio asking control could they ask the patient to put on the light or come to the door, a police car drove up,and asked what we where doing, i explained and showed our I D ,the copper said they had reports of someone driving up and down in a car shining a light at front doors, and that there was somebody banging on the callers front door, when i asked what number he said the same number as the one who had called the GP,so we all walked up to the house and knocked on the door.

Eventuially she opened the door,her first words where, theres some weirdo outside shining lights in peoples front doors,and he has been banging on my front door asking me if this is number 22 (we all just burst out laughing).

So get some numerals, next time it may be paramedics and youre suffring some life threatening ilness.

user-removed
    Free Member

+1 to the sentiment above ^^

One of my first jobs was a pizza delivery driver and it drove me up the wall when you'd get sent to a street full of houses with no numbers – also worked as a driver for Parcel Farce for a few years and had similar problems – you want yer parcel? Get a f3kkin number on yer house numbnuts!!

Now I'm a respectable wedding photographer I spend a lot of time in unfamiliar housing estates knocking on the wrong doors trying to find my would be clients. Grr!

As said above, next time it might be the police / emergency services – seconds cost lives and all that……..

tiger_roach
    Free Member

project – Darwin Award near miss….

soulrider
    Free Member

I'm with GrahamS on this vulgar numbering scenario..

I dont even have my house name up either.. its all about stealth!

bruneep

It can be a PITA for us( fire service) unless there is a person windmilling outside.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

or smoke?

Hohum
    Free Member

Or flames?

IanMunro
    Free Member

I had a letter correctly delivered with an address of "House next to pub"

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Our house is so hard to find (and has no name or number) that many a courier van has been stumped. Then when they do find it (usually by calling is or asking a local) they get stuck getting up our driveway – approx 1 in 3 with a tight bend. In fact one van (Sainsburys delivery) got jammed at the bottom for three hours and had to be jacked out.

It has it's advantages but can be a bit of a pain.

john_drummer
    Free Member

ours has a number at the top of the front door. As this is 20+ feet above street level, anyone trying to spot it from the roadside may be struggling.

However, as we're no 2, it's a pretty good guess that we're the first house on our side of the street – or the last, if you come from the wrong end…

portlyone

my number is on the front door.

painted green.

the same colour as the door…

vario_99
    Free Member

My house is covered in bird shit so it's not detected by radar, it now has similar covert properties of a stealth bomber. No way the Taliban or parcel force will find it now…

derek_starship
    Free Member

I don't have a number- I have a free man.

midlifecrashes

House name on the gatepost by the caller's gate, house number on the gate of the tradesman's entrance, nothing on the vehicle gates. The numbering system seems to confuse some though. On our street no 1 is next door to no 2, and continues down to the end, then continues back up the other side.

Pimms anyone?

Drac

Haha windmilling. Don't they piss you right off.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How visible is the number on your house?’ is closed to new replies.