• This topic has 40 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by mos.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • How to stop yourself being dragged around the shops…
  • highclimber
    Free Member

Sorry for the DM link but I wanted to highlight to the women on here what shopping for clothes and shoes can do to man if you force him to come along ‘for an opinion’.

”Right, that’s it – I’ve had enough!”

jam-bo

not reading the daily mail link but on sunday I took my 2yr boy to a DH race to watch the bikes go whoosh. my mrs went shopping on her own.
    when she got back i went for a ride.

everybody wins.

highclimber
    Free Member

You dodged a bullet there – read the link!

beefheart
    Free Member

He did well to last 5 hours.

alpin
    Free Member
    lilchris
    Free Member

Wot tires for Chinese decadence?

dannyh
    Free Member

A bit over the top, but we’ve all been there.

A better option would have been to chuck all the shopping over the rail and walk to the nearest pub and order a pint.

Unless the shopping landed on someone else, obviously………

cinnamon_girl

Speaking as a woman, I fail to understand why hen-pecked blokes are dragged around the shops. Since when has a woman wanted the opinion of a bloke, I certainly haven’t.

Don’t get me started on the hen-pecked blokes always getting in the way and don’t get me started on those perving at the lingerie. If you’re gonna do it then bloomin’ well be discrete and get out of my bloody way. 😐

hammyuk
    Free Member

I once gave my ex a taste of her own medicine…..
    We went out for the evening
    went into 7 pubs without ordering anything
    and then went back to the first pub we went into for a drink…. 😀

tomhoward

A bit over the top

Off the side, shirley?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Since when has a woman wanted the opinion of a bloke, I certainly haven’t.

Indeed does anyone actually care what their partners opinion is

thegreatape
    Free Member

*likes the cut of hammyuk’s jib*

cinnamon_girl

Indeed does anyone actually care what their partners opinion is

If I ask for an opinion then fair enough but that’s not very often. 😀

Gawd, I’m being a miserable cah. Dental woes doncha know. 🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of your Woes

FWIW there is not point taking me shoe shopping and expecting an opinion … a barely audible grunt of indifference is my preferred response.

McHamish
    Free Member

don’t get me started on those perving at the lingerie

Why then, do shops insist on putting the underwear section right outside the changing room?!? They’re not perving, they’re waiting for the partners while trying to avoid looking at frilly knickers.

I once walked out of a shop with a pair stuck on Velcro on the back of my jacket.

alpin
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Speaking as a woman, I fail to understand why hen-pecked blokes are dragged around the shops. Since when has a woman wanted the opinion of a bloke, I certainly haven’t.

Don’t get me started on the hen-pecked blokes always getting in the way and don’t get me started on those perving at the lingerie. If you’re gonna do it then bloomin’ well be discrete and get out of my bloody way.

as you mention there is the lingerie, but you missed the excitement of a snatched glimpse of a bit of leg, naked breast or thong through the chink in the changing room curtains…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Desperate times, alpen.

mogrim

on’t get me started on those perving at the lingerie. If you’re gonna do it then bloomin’ well be discrete and get out of my bloody way.

My then girlfriend / now wife caught me looking at the blonde next to her trying on FMBs, she’s never taken me shopping since. That was 17 years ago 🙂

So perving has its place.

alpin
    Free Member

FMBs… i like.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Desperate times +1 – bacon every time.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I can’t think of anything worse than shopping, and if i can’t face it why on earth would I inflict it on someone else?! My rule when i need to buy and outfit is 3 shops maximum. I will pick the three most appropriate shops for the occasion and if I can’t find something suitable in those 3 shops I have to pick something from my wardrobe – being a woman it is fairly well stocked so this method works.

This rule is based on what i call the Meadowhall effect – you walk into a million shops all selling pretty much the same thing and all it does is put me off wanting any of it – and i walk away empty handed.

iolo
    Free Member

There is more to this story than bloody christmas shopping.
    He was clearly mentally ill but typical journalism turns it to a shoes for christmas.
    Poor bastard, I feel for him.

pondo

Speaking as a woman, I fail to understand why blokes are dragged around the shops. Since when has a woman wanted the opinion of a bloke…

Mrs Pondo unaccountably does actually like me to go shopping with her from time to time (by way of compensation for the time we spend doing my stuff I suppose, like looking at bikes, standing in the cold or watching motor racing on the telly), and I do try – I really, really do try – to be enthusiastic and offer an honest opinion, given in the full understanding that it will make no measuurable difference to her opinion about said jacket/shoes/hats etc.

However, as an exercise in joint endeavor and bonding, it very rarely ends in anything other than acrimony and vexation for both of us. 🙁

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t mind shoe shopping with Mrs Doh – at least there are plenty of places for me to sit and stare into the distance.

alpin
    Free Member

thinking about it i often go shopping with the GF when she is looking for a new outfit or clothes in general. i don’t mind for the most part even though 9 times out of 10 i end up paying.

mogrim

Mrs Pondo unaccountably does actually like me to go shopping

Bag carrier, wallet holder… there are plenty of reasons she needs you there.

pondo

Bag carrier, wallet holder… there are plenty of reasons she needs you there.

A position of responsibility, you mean? I should be so lucky… 🙁

zippykona

I don’t mind clothes shopping with Mrs Zip as I know what suits her and if it looks gash I will tell her.
    Curtains and lampshades I will throw a major wobble over as when I lived on my own I don’t recall having either so not really the best person to ask for an opinion.
    I will not ever set foot inside a garden centre EVER.

DezB
    Free Member

Few years ago I was waiting outside the changing room for the wife. There were these angled mirrors on the floor, I guess for checking out your shoes… they were perfectly angled for … well when these 2 short skirted ladies arrived I just didn’t know where to look 😆 Didn’t mind that trip.

Not a problem anymore though!

brooess
    Free Member

I went to John Lewis at lunchtime to get my xmas shopping done.
    Noticeably very few people looked happy…

No wonder ecomm’s getting so popular!

Gunz
    Free Member

Heaven forbid someone should sacrifice some of their time engaging in an activity that their partner finds pleasurable. Relax and enjoy the smile on her face.
    If she refused to go cycling with you that would be another story.

lilchris
    Free Member

You people go to physical shops!!!

Amateurs!

jambourgie
    Free Member

‘for an opinion’

Whatever, you’re a pull-along bag-horse. Nothing more.

I don’t mind occasionally, but it has to be a compromise. Like, city centre, with outside areas, pubs, food stalls etc. Not some huge hermetically-sealed mall full of mouth-breathing drones.

highclimber
    Free Member

Not some huge hermetically-sealed mall full of mouth-breathing drones.

That’s pretty much all shopping precincts you are describing.

pondo

Heaven forbid someone should sacrifice some of their time engaging in an activity that their partner finds pleasurable. Relax and enjoy the smile on her face.

I totally agree, and I do try – I really, really do – but what she wants is for me to enjoy it as much as she does. And I’ll go, and I won’t complain, and I’ll try to be enthusiastic, but it just isn’t the same, and we’ll both end up having a rubbish time.

It does occasionally happen the other way round – I have never and will never ask her to come to stuff that she really doesn’t want to, but sometimes she’ll want to come so that we can do it together. Case in point is the local cycling club have a friday night track league that I was really looking forward to going and having a look at, as I was (and am) thinking of joining. I knew she wouldn’t be interested, but she insisted in coming anyway – we had five minutes of sighes and “this is really boring” before a spikey discussion about whether I should stay or not (she wasn’t going to) and then a quiet drive home and night in silence in front of the telly.

wrecker
    Free Member

After putting a bra and then shouting across to Mrs W on the other side of the shop asking her if she liked it; I don’t get asked any more. Actually I had to do it a couple of times in different shops before she realised that I couldn’t behave myself.

scandalous
    Free Member

shopping for non bike / outdoors stuff gives me the heebeegeebees.

make up an excuse (any excuse) not to go. if you must then go solo.

project
    Free Member

sex used to be like that.

DezB
    Free Member

Heaven forbid someone should sacrifice some of their time engaging in an activity that their partner finds pleasurable. Relax and enjoy the smile on her face as you drop off the balcony..

boblo
    Free Member

Seezy, don’t go. I don’t and am not expected to. We stuff together we enjoy doing together and stuff apart that the other one doesn’t want to do. Obvious isn’t it?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘How to stop yourself being dragged around the shops…’ is closed to new replies.