Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How to knock out Marz bushes.
  • imp999
    Free Member

I have bot some MX comps that need new bushes.
    You may be lucky enough to be able to pull them out by hand – maybe after heating the lowers up with hot water but mine would not budge.
    So….
    having stripped the fork lowers of everything I could – including the seals – I then obtained a thick washer with an OD that was just down on the OD of the top bush (c32mm).
    I then filed a pair of flats on the washer diameter oposite & parallel to each other so that across these flats measured .5mm less than the ID of the bushes(29.5). I could then pass the washer through the bush, turn it so that it was covering most of the bushes lower diameter and hammer the bush out using a drift long enough to go through the hole in the base of the fork leg and reach the waser.
    I used a 3/8 socket extension with something wedged in the square hole to engage in the washer’s hole – ensuring centralisation.

My lower bushes just fell out and I am not sure if this is normal or the reason the foks had play in them.So I am assuming the technique would work on these too.

Just got to put the new bushes back in now.
    Old bushes had a red slip coating, new ones a grey coating – any ideas?

wwaswas

personally, I’d have worked out how to get the new ones in before I removed the old ones 😉

Do you know where int he fork lowers the bushes need to sit?

can you just reverse the process with the washer above the bushes and bash them down?

LoCo
    Free Member

Be very carefull there’s a high chance of damaging something, and you’ll need to size the bushings after too.

imp999
    Free Member

Size the bushes??!!
    There was no mention of that in the Marz instructions!

I can see getting them in being a “Carefull” job to get them going in straight but the sizing bit has got me rattled!

Do the lower bushes sit ON the step down in diameter or just past it?
    The ones I renoved were ON but were not well retained and fell out with little persuasion.

LoCo
    Free Member

They sit on th step as a depth reference. The sizing maybe needed to get them running ‘just so’.

llama

Are you trying too hard?

Sometimes the best way to knock one out is to relax and not tug so hard. Also I’ve heard that it can be odd if you sit on your hand until it goes numb, it is like somebody else is doing it apparently.

imp999
    Free Member

Cheers LoCo.
    I was going to compare the gap in the bush with it round the stancheon and then when inserted ON the step inside the leg. it should be the same I am thinking.

imp999
    Free Member

For anyone interested the lower bushes pushed down PAST the step-down in diameter and quite easily with a washer on top and a bit of tapping.

The top bushes were a tighter fit but still tapped in the same way.

The seals went in OK too.

On reflection the play in these forks may have been caused by the lower bushes moving up out of place and so a simple fix would be to have tapped them back down again into the smaller diameter part of the bore – saving me 30 plus quid!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How to knock out Marz bushes.’ is closed to new replies.