Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to finish pine doors – wax / varnish / other?
  • sam_underhill

As above really. Got some new clear pine (ie no knots) 4 panel doors that need a finish. I guess a varnish will be harder wearing but will it look a bit shiny? Does the range of diamond hard finish type varnish really work?

any suggestions or tips.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sam, have a look at Osmo's range of waxoils for finishing interior wood. I use their hardwax oils for finishing floors all the time. Really nice finishes, don't "yellow" the wood too much and reasonably hard-wearing. Most of all, they're a doddle to apply. Not cheap stuff but nicer than varnish and minimal "rubbing down" between coats. Use a good quality synthetic bristle brush but don't expect to be able to hang on to it afterwards…once they harden, that's the end.

sam_underhill

thanks. I think I'm probably going to buy 2 or 3 different products and to some testers side by side on a scrap. Then see what looks right.

woodsman
    Free Member

Never varnish – eeek!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, what woodsman said. Avoid varnish. Oils "feed" the timber and are more maintainable over time. As long as you buy something with a high solids content, you won't need to constantly re-oil year after year.

AndyP
    Free Member

varnish is the equivalent of putting gold anodised bits on your bike. oil or wax, fo' sure.

No_discerning_taste
    Free Member

I'm fond of tinted waxes. Comes as clear or plenty of different shades. Don't go for a deep colour with pine though as it doesn't really take it that well. It is very easy to apply, just rub in to the wood with either really fine wirewool or a cloth. The surface get a lovely and very natural sheen if it is buffed with a cloth and no worries about it ever going flaky such as with varnishes.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Having messsed about over many years with various waxes and varnishes on all sorts of houses, my current philosophy would be do nothing at all- just leave them, best way in the long term.

dustytrails

Danish oil – 2 or 3 coats & wax if you like. Oil will soak into wood & dries. It can be buffed up or you can use wax applied with 0000 grade wire wool (or you could use super fine scotch brite) This is a very good way to finish timber to give a natural look.

Lionheart
    Free Member

+1 for the Osmo range, but the last couple, not but dipped and stripped have just been left and are fine!

porterclough
    Free Member

beeswax – or just leave them

vernon-sez
    Free Member

danish oil for me. smells nice too

vernon-sez
    Free Member

danish oil for me. smells nice too

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

+2 for Osmo

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

I have finished pine for years wax will mark , oil will go yellow orange , poly varnish is horrid , the way I would suggest is to use spirit stain to get colour you want then apply clear mat water based varnish no smell not shiny but wipe down

Pieface

I varnished, but wish I'd waxed. Had been advised that oiling feeds wood best but of course it will hold grease marks so a matt varnish is good – therefore what fortheringtontho0mas said.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

use spirit stain to get colour you want then apply clear mat water based varnish

Not being a smart arse, but won't you get problems with the water based varnish not "taking" to the original oil based stain? If you were going to use a water based varnish, then a water based stain would be best first…no?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to finish pine doors – wax / varnish / other?’ is closed to new replies.