• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by flip.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to find a business partner.
  • flip
    Free Member

Whats the best way to find a business partner for my gardener/handyman business?

I feel like i need an employee but i would like someone with a vested interest so they work as hard as me (I don’t like slackers).

Also some financial input would be a bonus.

Ta.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Depends, when you say gardener do you actually mean that or landscaper? as the two are very different. I’ve done both.

As for a handyman you’d probably want someone with basic electric/plumbing/building type skills?

You may well struggle to find someone who has knowledge of both areas, unless they were a lot older.

Where abouts are you based?

TooTall
    Free Member

Are you sure you want to hand over 50% of what you have going to a stranger? Control, decisions, pricing, hours etc? Quite a big step for someone in your position.

You can give employees plenty reasons to get stuck in if you want to.

flip
    Free Member

As for a handyman you’d probably want someone with basic electric/plumbing/building type skills?

Yes, another reason to get someone to broaden the companys service base.

Are you sure you want to hand over 50% of what you have going to a stranger? Control, decisions, pricing, hours etc? Quite a big step for someone in your position.

Indeed i’m just thinking about it at present. Investment money is not my concern really, more so having business sense backup.

Where abouts are you based?

Cannock, Staffs.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Flip – I’m about 15 miles away. If University doesn’t work out I’ll have to give you a shout 😉

Unfortunatly I wouldnt have the handyman skills, but my contingiency post-uni had been to get a trade of some kind, more so building.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I was discussing this with a mate the other day, he is a joiner and has always worked with his dad who is now wanting to retire. Basically it’s a nightmare as whoever you bring in could take you forwards or backwards with where you want to go, as a worst case they could ruin you. He nearly joined up with a another lad we both know who was a builder but the first job they worked together (not as business partners but they were going that way) turned out to be the builders last as he lost £6k on the job fell out with the customer and quit. He now works in an office!

I would go down the road of giving a kid a chance if you can find someone keen enough and intelligent enough to make a go of it rather than just turn up for a wage.

allthepies
    Free Member

feel like i need an employee but i would like someone with a vested interest so they work as hard as me (I don’t like slackers).

Advertise/interview/hire and an optional fire if they’re not up to scratch 🙂
    Keep the business in your own hands and just take on an employee.

derekrides
    Free Member

Partnerships have rarely worked out for me, you can hire accountancy stuff to cook your books and you can hire good workers, unless there’s something you feel another could bring, like an increased client base if work was hard to find, I’d keep it simple and to yourself and don’t go making ‘friends’ with employees you may have to reprimand or sack at some time in the future…

flip
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the input, seems partner type setups are a PITA, i’ll do some more thinking on this.

singletrackmind

I hate to say it , You need to find a Polish worker .
    Alot of employers rate them for attendance and work ethics.
    You stay Boss and in control, and you get someone who wont spend 1/3 of the day p1ssing about on an android , smoking and texting there g/f every 15 mins.

br
    Free Member

Get an apprentice, good govt support too.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

OP, just find someone who wants to work with you…but on a trial basis for a month or two. You can both be self-employed, but you control where you buy stuff, looking at jobs, pricing etc. For year one, you split profits 60-40, then 55-45 year two, then 50-50. Each time the split works more for him/her, he/she has to take more responsibility.

If your work is mainly domestic, you can get every second cheque paid to you. Every month sit down together and work out how the split has worked – then whoever’s behind gets the next cheque. It’s a bit of a faff, but he/she won’t spend every day trying to hang the job out for an extra day’s work either.

flip
    Free Member

Get an apprentice, good govt support too.

I’ve been approached about this already by a college.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve been approached about this already by a college.

Actually, it’s not a bad idea. You never know what you’re going to turn up with – but, if you’re lucky, it could work fantastically though. You’d have to think about transport too. And whether you want the responsibility.

shooterman

Don’t.

Just because someone is a partner does not mean they are going to work hard. Secondly, getting out of a prtnership is a nightmare. You are better off with an employee you can fire if it isn’t working out.

Spin
    Free Member

Have you considered writing your number on a service station toilet cubicle?

Just a thought.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You can be partners without being a “partnership”.

project
    Free Member

Get an apprentice as said above, good value, and if you train them right, will make good tea, tidy the van, and actually work for you,it also gives a young person a start on the employment ladder, i had one a nice lad, really sad when we had to let him go due to poor trading conditions, and sharing a workshop with a person who had no grasp of monetry sence.

flip
    Free Member

Have you considered writing your number on a service station toilet cubicle?

Done this, i got the wrong types of partner applying, had some great ‘fun’ weekends though.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How to find a business partner.’ is closed to new replies.