Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • How to cut through a top tube..?
  • tinkertaylor1981
    Free Member

Bit of a strange one this…

Just had an aluminium frame (BeOne Storm) fail at the bottom bracket / chain stay junction. Thankfully, Chain Reaction have agreed to replace the frame under warranty, though they’ve told me I need to cut through the top tube and send them a photo before they send the replacement.

How?

Think I have a Wilko value junior hacksaw somewhere, but that’s about it. Suggestions please!

scaredypants

just belt it with a hammer? – they just want to see it put beyond sale/use

scotroutes

A junior hacksaw will do it

lipseal
    Free Member

This……

Junkyard
    Free Member

anything pretty much would do including a junior hacksaw – you wont believe how easy it is

Personally I would thrash it against a large heavy object whilst calling it names – effective and more satisfying

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Photoshop 💡

cr500dom
    Free Member

Its aluminium……. a hardpoint wood saw will go through it easy enough 😀

khani
    Free Member

An axe, allthough you could do it with a bread knife if you tried hard enough…

zbonty

A saw will take less than 10 seconds, easy.

If I was pinching locked bikes to sell for their parts I’d be attacking the frame for speed. Could make the getaway ride interesting though!

nickjb
    Free Member

+1 for Photoshop. Free spare frame 🙂

sugdenr
    Free Member

+1 for Photoshop. Free spare useless broken frame

FTFY

home science experiment – hit a flat spot in TT & DT with hammer or whatever then bend it back and forth and see frame fatigue in action!

parkesie
    Free Member

+1 for axe go **** mental send a pic of you with axe and thoroughly mangled frame

plyphon
    Free Member

+1 for Photoshop. Free spare frame

Well not really because:

Just had an aluminium frame (BeOne Storm) fail at the bottom bracket / chain stay junction.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Make a good job of it and turn the rear end into a wheel trueing jig 😀

maxtorque

Use a flower pot full of thermite above the top tube. Video said destruction and send video to CRC.

Northwind

I’d use my sword, just because that’d be frickin awesome.

seadog101

what were you given teeth for?

OCB
    Free Member

Don’t forget to put the bits in the recycling when you’ve done with it.
    Aluminum is easily recycled.

😉

lerk
    Free Member

Can’t believe no-one has suggested putting a sticker on it…!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Put a tiny bit of Gallium onto it :

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMWxLCGY0U[/video]

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just had an aluminium frame (BeOne Storm) fail at the bottom bracket / chain stay junction

Why would crc not be happy with a pic of the area thats broken? To easy to repair?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

surprised they’ve told you to do this, its not exactly very health and safety with todays compensation culture! LOL

br
    Free Member

I guess you don’t realise how thin the tube walls are – or do you think it’s solid? 😳

avdave2

If I was pinching locked bikes to sell for their parts I’d be attacking the frame for speed.

Why you should always have a lock through a wheel as well, it takes a lot longer to cut through than a frame.

DanW
    Free Member

Whatever you do, make sure you video yourself as you cut them top tube and make sure you laugh manically and end with a proper psycho look straight down the camera… that should entertain CRC and their daft requirement 😀

ChrisI

maxtorque – Member
    Use a flower pot full of thermite above the top tube. Video said destruction and send video to CRC.

Gets my vote 😀

warpcow
    Free Member

cruzcampo – Member
    surprised they’ve told you to do this, its not exactly very health and safety with todays compensation culture! LOL

You’ve clearly never met a Niner owner.

Macavity
    Free Member

“Bit of a strange one this…”

messiah
    Free Member

CRC made me do this.

It didn’t take much effort.

scotroutes

Those that worry about the fragility of carbon frames need to give this a go once in a while. I think most wouldbe ssurprised at just how thin aluminum bike tubes are.

29erKeith
    Free Member

Massiah, Is that an actual man Cave!?

My vote would be TT on a block with an big axe. I’d send the photo with the axe still in the block and TT clearly cleaved in two 😀

wwaswas

do you live in a cave messiah?

I thought you were only in there a couple of days over Easter one year?

Macavity
    Free Member

messiah
    Free Member

do you live in a cave messiah?

I use my cave for all sorts of things :mrgreen:

brakes
    Free Member

awww, look they’re both having a little nap on the newspaper, how sweet.

cookeaa

Your junior Hacksaw will be adequate, but I like do some of the suggestions above especially an Axe…

If given the promise of a replacement by CRC I’d happily be sawing through most of the tubes just to see how it was constructed…

Go Nuts and then post up some pictures…

wwaswas

surprise them and cut the tube lengthways.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Messiah those birds look rather clean rim or shoty? always rimmy for me as I hate biting into shot that i’ve missed lol.

OP go nuts and try the axe the saw and the brittle method and film and post results of all three with a little ditty about which one was the most fun and the one that was most surprising 😆

kimbers

cannondaleking
    Free Member

To quote snatch wars when Darth “Brick Top” Vader cuts down Ob Wan “they go through bone like butter”

Lightsaber it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘How to cut through a top tube..?’ is closed to new replies.