Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • how much tv do your kids watch?
  • qwerty
    Free Member

our 4yr old seems stuck to it sometimes, i'm thinking of giving him a tv "allowance" but not too sure how long

Edukator
    Free Member

Less than me.

MoreCashThanDash

I would suggest it depends what it is – my kids are now 6 and 3, and CBeebies will be on for anything up to 6 hours a day BUT it is often only a background noise, and both will happily turn it off to go and play, paint, read, help with the cooking etc. Yes, we do sometimes use TV to keep them occupied while we get on with jobs around the house.

Both kids are sociable, bright, articulate and knowledgable compared to their peer group.

However, I regularly go to houses (in connection with work) where kids spend a similar amount of time in front of constant cartoons, or the millionth rerun of their favourite DVD or – lord help them – Jeremy Kyle etc, and you can see that these poor kids are destined to follow in the footsteps of their chav scum parents.

I wouldn't worry so much about the quantity of TV they watch rather than the quality, and it's role within a wider family and learning environment.

Though I'm prepared to be shouted down by all the hair shirt wearing Guadianistas on here 🙄

prettygreenparrot

we started a reward system with ours a few years ago. We usually keep it up. Good behavior events get a token. 2 tokens pay for 30 minutes of TV or candy or whatever. Tokens are earned on weekdays. because of the number of good behavior events unless they get a star from teacher or do something really great they can earn up to 7 tokens per day. If they manage to earn all the tokens in a week that's 45 tokens giving up to about 11 hours of TV per week if they have no candy or biscuits or the like. Mmmm sounds like a lot of TV but doesn't seem like it.

I think watching TV is great. But you do need to mix it up with other things. Just like reading is great, or riding a bike. But a monoculture can lead to a lack of creativity.

Like Swadey says, TV is a great occupier for them whilst you're doing stuff they can't join in on around the house.

emac65
    Free Member

"TV Tokens" – I've heard it all now…… 😆

prettygreenparrot

emac65. Shhhh. It's worked so far. 😐 It removes most TV arguments
    child 'I want to watch more TV'
    father 'Do you have any tokens left'
    child 'No'
    father 'well?'
    child 'OK. No more TV today'
    😀

It's when it starts getting used on me that I'll regret it.

squarewheels
    Free Member

Too much is when your kid is no longer able to occupy itself and is dependant upon it.

druidh
    Free Member

Almost none.

At 13, she thinks TV is just passé and gets programs streamed to her laptop or uses iPlayer instead 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

they can earn up to 7 tokens per day

How many tokens do they have to collect for 20 Marlboro Lights?

thegreatape
    Free Member

CBeebies will be on for anything up to 6 hours a day BUT it is often only a background noise

Same here. But they learn more than you think from CBeebies. Numbers (from Numberjacks) and Makaton (from Something Special) off the top of my head. And some fire safety from his Fireman Sam DVD as well. No doubt there's more.

john_drummer
    Free Member

what kids?

me & the missus have the house to ourselves. TV is rare

Junkyard
    Free Member

double post

Junkyard
    Free Member

about 20 mins a day at most for say half the week + one film on a Friday/Saturday.
    Not anti tv but they dont get to see much of it.
    3 and 4 if age matters

SaxonRider

None. I got rid of ours when my wife and I felt that too much was being watched.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘how much tv do your kids watch?’ is closed to new replies.