Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • How much to have a dog castrated?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyone had this done recently? Neighbour quoted £176 plus VAT – seems steepish for a Yorkie. Anyone remember what they’ve paid?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Is your neighbour qualified? I’ll do it for £19.99 (no VAT) and a pair of 2.2 Rubber Queens.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ll run that by her TF. I wouldn’t hold my breath though. 🙂

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Two house bricks.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I paid about £100 for my lab bitch to get spayed, and about £50 for my Jack Russell dog, so that sounds a wee bit steep to me.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Not sure if the cost varies with the size of the breed!

In fact, it could be considered more difficult on smaller dogs! less to get a hold of.

I think that is about right. Luckily for the dogs it involves general anaesthetic so that puts the costs up.

highclimber
    Free Member

My secatares only cost me £5 from B&Q

gazman
    Free Member

We were quoted about 180.00 for our j/r bitch till mrs told vets that the other local vets were doing it half price it goes on weight of the dog for anaesthetic apparently hope that helps, gaz

beinbhan

Know any farmers with livestock get them to ring it 😛

Frankers
    Free Member

Boy lab does recently £80

plop_pants
    Free Member

Still got all your own teeth? Then you know what to do.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Read the logo thread to them, they’ll chew their own baws off.

Bucko

It does tend to cost more for larger breeds as they use more anesthetic, i paid about £100 for my springer to be done about a year ago so surely it would be cheaper for a yorkie.

Shop around a bit

grim168
    Free Member

We paid about £100 for a male lab

Jase
    Free Member

At my partners vets it would cost you £150 and they are the most expensive in our area.

project
    Free Member

PDSA, GREEN CROSS AND RSPCA, used to do it free for people on benefits, sadly theyre not allowed to do humans.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

can you get johnys for dogs?

totalshell

i had mine done for free by the nhs.. do they do dogs?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies…even the funnies 🙂 Thought it seemed quite pricey – will tell her to shop around.

bruk

Under 10kg would be £110. Might be more if has a retained testicle (not sitting in the scrotum but still in the belly)

Price dependent on size and mostly where you live ie south east way more expensive.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

as a non pet owner , i just wondered why you want to get ur dog castrated? does it make them live longer or some thing?

Miggs
    Free Member

“as a non pet owner , i just wondered why you want to get ur dog castrated? does it make them live longer or some thing?”

Its a beahvioural thing, it stops ‘misalignment’ or dogs getting up the duff when the owners are NOT planning to breed from them! something like that.

Elmo
    Free Member

@ilovemygears- i just spat beer out at your first comment!!

My dog cost £90 4 years ago, but i believe that was over the odds

Castration can help calm young dogs down, some vets will reccomend it to avoid any possibilty of cancer in your dog.
    Mine had his done because one of his testicles was retained(didnt drop).
    To be honest he may not have had it done otherwise. Mrs wanted it but i couldnt bring myself too!
    And hes always beena pretty chilled dog.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Castration can help calm young dogs down, some vets will reccomend it to avoid any possibilty of cancer in your dog.

Thats a terrible reason…

So if you cut off its 4 legs, you get the 100% guarantee of no futire leg cancer? At what point is it just economically viable to have a head on a cushion barking at you, just so you know its going to be really healthy?

I mean, your dads getting older now, but you just dont lop bits off him that “might” become ill in the future….

richc
    Free Member

Its supposed to improve yours dogs temperament, and make a dog much ‘better’ …. As removes one of there concerns in life so just leaves them to focus on bins, balls, sticks and squirrels.

DrJ

Two house bricks.

That can be pretty painful. If you get your thumb trapped.

z1ppy

ilovemygears – Member
    as a non pet owner , i just wondered why you want to get ur dog castrated? does it make them live longer or some thing?

Have you ever been to a dog/cat home and seen the amount of unwanted pets? (shameful) Though the best reason for this is, was posted on here:

rexated – Member
    as a vet said to me, whilst advocating castration: imagine you have a massive sex drive but aren’t allowed to sow your oats or spank off. how bad would that feel?

a sound argument, delicately put.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘How much to have a dog castrated?’ is closed to new replies.