Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • How much bling is tasteful?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

So I’ve just ordered a “gloss grey” frame and have decided to bling it up with orange accents whilst keeping everything else black. Obvious first step is an orange headset. Pedals are almost definitely next (if I can find some orange Nanos). But how far is tasteful? Stem? Grips?

I guess this is a roundabout way of saying SHOW ME YOUR GUNMETAL AND ORANGE BIKES!

pickle
    Free Member

Here’s mine

Klunk
    Free Member

got gold hubs on the singlespeed I think it’s real tasteful, goes with the gold wrap on the bentley 😉

slowoldman

Least than this:

CheesybeanZ

Titanium Prince Albert 8)

mark90
    Free Member

Headset, seat clamp, pedals. Plus maybe hubs or rotors. Gives a few highlights without being too heavy. They must be a good colour match too.

amedias
    Free Member

Pedals are almost definitely next

never pedals! it always looks crap/trying too hard, and then looks even crapper once they’re scraped to buggery anyway

hubs, headset, seat clamp, maybe BB cups and a few little bits like bolts but go to far and it just looks like a what a 14year old reading MBUK would build 😉

They must be a good colour match too

also, this x10000, nothing worse that 8 different shades of the same colour anodising, or worse still, mixing anodised with painted :vomit:

rossburton
    Free Member

I was going to go for grips too but that Stanton looks just right with monochrome grips…

sparkyrhino

If you fancy Orange pedals Carboncycles do Nano style pedals in orange £33

rossburton
    Free Member

Not sure I agree about pedals – my rocket is entirely black apart from red grips and pedals. Sure the pedals are mostly red now…

Definitely agree that matching is important: the purple skewers on my sons bike don’t match the purple used for everything else and it’s really bugging me.

kcal

hubs, headset, seat clamp, tyre caps. that’s it. orange to offset the sky blue.

ashweee
    Free Member

I went very minimal with mine, hubs, seat clamp, chainring and lock rings. The frame is now grey but I haven’t got any recent pictures.

amedias
    Free Member

Not sure I agree about pedals – my rocket is entirely black apart from red grips and pedals. Sure the pedals are mostly red now…

that’s different, if they are the only coloured bits

dumbbot
    Free Member

Less is more, this Sherpa is class

Whilst a stunning build this switchback smacks of trying too hard…i think it’s a bit tacky

dannyh
    Free Member

This is too much:

Who’s gonna tell him?

singlespeedstu

Less is more.
    Headset, seatclamp, BB and hubs only.
    Anything more will turn your bike into Ratners.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bXafFU]20120513_121836[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I initially tried to avoid any colour-combos and went with silver Hope parts, but then the frame I wanted in black sold out and only blue was left, which happened to match my grips. The fact my fork stanchions matched the shock was something I had no control over, but the Kash Money bars were intentional, and sort of work….though I can’t say if brown and blue is tasteful 😕

nairnster
    Free Member

I added some to the frame and forks myself, with small touches elsewhere.

Grips, headset spacer, valve caps, and some on the saddle in this pic, and pedal end caps.

letmetalktomark

Markie
    Free Member

Gold rims are where it’s at.

OCB
    Free Member

Gunmetal n’ orange you say?

(Pedals, one headset spacer, ‘bar tape(ish), frame & tire decals, water bottle bolts).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

It’ll always look shit if they’re *almost* the same colour..
    Less is more imho.

ajantom

Orange, gold and red seem to be difficult to colour match.
    I had a red anodised Pace RC200 frame that I built up with a smattering of gold and red components, but everything was a slightly different shade 👿

That was a while ago, and some of those red bits along with some other red components have been recycled onto my newish DMR Trailstar frame. Not too blingy but I think it works with the retro paint job.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T67ezi]New DMR first ride[/url]

andy4d

Trying to decide myself, stealth or a splash of red.

Headset, seat clamp, cassette lock ring and the 2 bottle boss screws are red

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Apart from their black bits, I reckon most hope coloured finishing kit is gopping.

matteggleton
    Free Member

Gun metal and Orange you say??..

Note sure it’s tasteful but I love it.

rossburton
    Free Member

I think its fair so that I’m definitely in the less-is-more camp, more can be nice but less is tasteful with ease.

Thanks everyone! (removes orange bars and grips from CRC basket)

Sandwich

Discjockey tres AG2R.

onandon
    Free Member

Trouble is, people never know when to stop. This ultimately leads to bike which looks utterly cack.

momo

Hubs, headset and grips on my Tarn (I know the upper headset is black, I’ve since picked up a matching Hope top, no idea why the previous owner only changed one half!)
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Ta3SUv]Tarn at Pines[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

Hubs, grips, pedals, bar graphics and cable outers – I was accused of going to far on this one!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/T1CsPd]650B Spitfire[/url] by Matt Cotterill, on Flickr

kayak23

Trouble is, people never know when to stop. This ultimately leads to bike which looks utterly cack.

😀

onandon
    Free Member

Yep u didn’t need to post that. There were already a few on this thread 🙂

Bagstard
    Free Member

As someone who has overdone it in the past I would say less is definitely more.

onandon
    Free Member

Ok. This was my one and only coordinated build.

It’s raw steel with mango Chris’s king headset / clamp and mango profile hubs.

mahalo

this is too much!

I normally refrain from negative comments but I don’t get it at all, especially that piss coloured hope stuff! One or two components is fine, but matching everything up just looks hideous and ostentatious imo… each to their own!

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of matching the bars and stem, but hubs and rotors bothers me for some reason.

My high point was cranks/bashguard/pedals/bars, thus:

That gave way to bar/stem/seatclamp/range-expander, thus:

But I’ve now abandoned bling altogether in favour of colour…

8)

hooli

If you have to ask, it’s too much 😉

ndthornton
    Free Member

I don’t think you can have too many shiny items – but for me there is cutoff in terms of maximum surface area of anodizing of any one item.

These Items are ok…..
    brakes or bore caps
    rotors
    hubs
    Bottom bracket
    headset /headset spacers /Top Cap (but not all 3!)
    Chainring
    Seat Clamp
    Jockey wheels
    bolts (but not all of them)
    valves
    nobs and levers
    Lock on grips
    QR skewers

These are definitely not OK….
    cranks
    bars
    seatpost
    Pedals
    rims
    chain
    cassette (Eagle looks nasty!)
    frame (unless its just the frame and nothing else)

Grey Area….
    stems

Historically I have said no to anodized stems but now that we are down to 35mm in length I’m not so sure? Id like input on this matter actually as I am currently on the fence over a black or red Hope stem…

Honestly the decisions I have to make, I don’t know how I cope sometimes!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Big Dummy’s Chromag makes me want to eat Fox’s Party Rings.

freeagent
    Free Member

on my all black 2016 Arkose I’ve so far swapped the stem cap, QRs, seat-clamp and jockey wheels for red anno.
    I might get some wheels built up with red hubs, and maybe do the headset when the time comes, but would definitely leave it at that – less is more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘How much bling is tasteful?’ is closed to new replies.