• This topic has 23 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cb.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How much am I going to get stung for getting a puncture in a hire car in France?
  • augustuswindsock

So we’re at Geneva airport and I’m in the queue to pick up the hire car and the mrs says; “don’t bother with the extra insurance, we never need it!!”
    less than a hour later I kerbed the bloody thing and ripped a hole in the tyre. long wait for recovery truck (no spare!), expensive taxi to destination, pick car up 3 days later from tyre depot kwik fit type place (where car had to be transported to from recovery place).
    I know we’re going to get stung, and it’s going to be bloody eyewateringly expensive, but how much? anyone been there?

Cougar

Why would they charge you if you’ve had it fixed?

cb

I got charged 135 Euro by Europcar for hoovering out the boot.

Hope this helps…

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I assume the OP means for the kerbed wheel?

neiloxford
    Free Member

Does not answer the question, but I suggest excess insurance to avoid a repeat. Much cheaper than what is offered by the hire companies.

https://www.direct-carexcess.co.uk/

Chew
    Free Member

Why no spare?

I’d be complaining to them about he disruption

jambalaya
    Free Member

@neil – interesting link. I need to check our Amex but “back in the day” excess insurance was included

OP so did you pay for the repair at the time or did you call their recovery service ? €200 assuming the wheel is OK ?

augustuswindsock

I didn’t pay for the repair at the time, the whole bill was picked up by the company! and it transpires that in France it’s illegal to buy 1 tyre, you have to buy 2!! and yes the wheel had a ding in it so probably get charged for that too 🙁

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

neiloxford – Member
    Does not answer the question, but I suggest excess insurance to avoid a repeat. Much cheaper than what is offered by the hire companies.

https://www.direct-carexcess.co.uk/

I do the same, but use: http://www.insurance4carhire.com/european-car-hire-excess-insurance

I hire quite a few vehicles, so pays for itself very very quickly.

augustuswindsock

out of interest cb, how did you get charged for hovering a boot out?

augustuswindsock

the hire car insurance is definitely the way forward (stable door, bolting horse!).

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Did you get a chance to look at the bill before the company picked it up? Hard to guess really, as the labour charges might have got a little bump when they realised the set up.

I would be making pointed queries as to the lack of a spare, tho.

augustuswindsock

the money will be being charged directly to my credit card I suspect so any complaints about a lack of spare will be pretty fruitless I suspect!

wwpaddler
    Free Member

There’s no point in complaining about the lack of spare wheel. Lots of cars don’t have them anymore. A can of squirty foam won’t fix a ripped tyre.

Cougar

I didn’t pay for the repair at the time, the whole bill was picked up by the company!

You’re boned.

How much can you counter-claim for being without a car for three days due to lack of provision for punctures? Did you hire another one?

hora
    Free Member

By the time you’ve pulled over on a motorway the tyre is goosed. I stopped and chatted to a recovery bloke in Hope recently about the 65plate Cayenne on his AA truck. He replied ‘puncture’.

All you 4 wheel car owners, get thee to eBay for a spare! It’s the first thing that I did when I owned a Seat Altea

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

There’s no point in complaining about the lack of spare wheel. Lots of cars don’t have them anymore. A can of squirty foam won’t fix a ripped tyre.

I was clutching at the most slippery of straws 🙂

TiRed

No help, but I always take the insurance. and of course you can then announce to the family that we can “drive it like we stole it”. Last year’s rental agency looked worried. This year’s Avis didn’t bat an eyelid.

In fairness, we didn’t, and someone put a scrape into the back wing in a supermarket carpark. I can’t be having with the third party insurance suppliers. I just suck up the “full” rental price, which is really about 85 euros per day.

Tyres will probably be less than the CDW fee, but I’d also complain about the inconvenience.

orangespyderman

and it transpires that in France it’s illegal to buy 1 tyre

Only if they are not identical make & model and there is more than 5mm wear difference between the old and the new. Otherwise it’s just a rumour used to fleece tourists.

cchris2lou

200 for recovery
    200 for tyres
    100 misc

jambalaya
    Free Member

Only if they are not identical make & model and there is more than 5mm wear difference between the old and the new

Sorry, we don’t stock that make sir.

All you 4 wheel car owners, get thee to eBay for a spare! It’s the first thing that I did when I owned a Seat Altea

Wheels on my car are different front and rear. There isn’t anywhere to put even one spare wheel (excluding on the passenger seat) 😐

OP ouch ! IME (after a scratch – car keyed) your card is charged at a later date and after that you get a letter explaining the charge

ocrider

and it transpires that in France it’s illegal to buy 1 tyre, you have to buy 2!

Well if that’s the case, allopneus.com break the law on a regular basis, speaking from personal experience

andyl
    Free Member

and for your trailers.

Was just thinking last night while towing our empty trailer that I need to get a spare or 2 for it. Guess what happened on the way back with a tractor loaded up on the trailer….Fortunately the breakdown collected it and dropped it off home for us.

cb

augustus – scam, they sent a zero invoice then a week later one for damage. I disputed as there was no damage and it then became a valet charge (they sent photos of some sand in the boot – after a ten day rental by the coast!). Now in hands of cc company.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How much am I going to get stung for getting a puncture in a hire car in France?’ is closed to new replies.