• This topic has 150 replies, 55 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)
  • How many people here employ a cleaner?
  • hora
    Free Member

Noticed a post further down and it reminded me of work. 3 girls at work pay for a cleaner to come to their houses. 2 of the 3 never have any money.

Its never ocurred to me to have a cleaner, it just seems like a luxury 😐

MartynS

Have a cleaner who comes once a week for a couple of hours. It buys me back some time so its well worth in in my book

Drac

Just the wife.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, once a week for 3hrs. Does the ironing too 🙂

bol

Yep. 2hrs a week. We both work and have two kids, so makes sense for us. House is still a tip though.

matt_outandabout

No here, but brother and sister in law both work full time and have two young ones. For them it means that time at home in the week = time with kids, and that seems a good reason. Relative to what they earn, it is not a lot.

bazzer
    Free Member

I have tried to get one but they seem to be like plumbers and have more work than they need.

I have phoned 3 and they were meant to get back to me and have failed to do it.

enfht
    Free Member

Not sure if we still do tbh, I’d need to ask the head butler.

swampi
    Free Member

I have one even though i am a full time househusband, just every other week,friends mother does it,nice little £20 for a 2-3hrs work for her,she enjoys coming round for the chats and playing with my daughter,its nice just once in a while to go out and come back to a cleaned house,even though it takes me a week to find where she has tidied most of the stuff away to 🙂

binners

Don’t need one. I’m have plastic furniture and a jetwasher

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, we have a lady who does what is apparently known as ‘A Deep clean’ once a fortnight in various parts of the house.

What’s crazy beyond belief is that my wife runs a cleaning business so why doesn’t she do it? I mean, I’m expected to fix every computer under the sun when I get home from work, and yet she’s too tired from cleaning to do any more when she gets home. eh?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Two. One to do the house (we really don’t need her but she’s a good neighbour and wants the pocket money) and one to do my heated wing mirrors.

NZCol

Yep 2hrs a week. We both work and quite frankly I have better things to do with my time so outsource things I deeply dislike !! That’s 2 more hours to ride my bike.

Stoner
    Free Member

yep – 3hrs a week.

I keep the place tidy, do the clothes washing, clean the grate etc, but dont have the patience or skillz to keep the shower spotless, bogs immaculate or the kitchen splashbacks grease-free.

binners

Does she give them a proper buffing Bravisimo? I’ve heard rumours of you forcing lowly paid Eastern European ladies to vigorously polish your warm, bulbous protrusions

emma82
    Free Member

House is always a tip so we probably need one but at the moment we only have a house with 5 small rooms so it actually only takes 2 hrs to do the house from top to bottom. However, should we buy next year and have a slightly bigger place, I will be getting one because to be quite honest I HATE cleaning. Not a luxury – it’s contributing to the economy innit 🙂

joao3v16
    Free Member

My wife’s looking for cleaning work in Marple area … 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve heard rumours of you forcing lowly highly paid Eastern European ladies to vigorously polish your warm, bulbous protrusions

binbins, you need to stop thinking about me in that way. I told you when we met. It’s not going to happen. 🙂

philconsequence
    Free Member

Two. One to do the house (we really don’t need her but she’s a good neighbour and wants the pocket money) and one to do my heated wing mirrors

OH HOW THE OTHER HALF LIVE!!!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes 2 hours per week, being doing it for about 3 months now. We work long hours and want to spend time with Jnr FD when not at work…

Whats the going rate though these days? We are £7.50 per hr in north Bradford.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have one here, she can only do once every couple of weeks though as she’s got so much work on. We’ll worth it though and means I can spend more time here replying to posts about cleaners 🙂

oddjob
    Free Member

we both work full time and have 2 young kids so it makes a big difference to us.
    Mrs OJ outsourced the cleaning, but I haven’t outsourced the washing and ironing yet.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I honestly have no idea what our house would be like without our cleaners (we have an owner managed company come round once a week; there’s usually two of them of which at least one is an owner of the business. They spend two hours here, so four hours in total).

When they have week off it’s carnage. My wife and I both work full time and we’ve got a two year old. They come on a Friday and the feeling of being able to relax on Saturday morning with Buster and not worry about cleaning makes the week worthwhile!

DezB
    Free Member

We do. Keeps the dog company once a week.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“We do. Keeps the dog company once a week.”

We employ a dog walker too 😆

spacemonkey

Used to until 5-6 years ago.

Be watchful of what they really do though. One (who wasn’t very sociable) started doing less and less so I had a work with ‘er indoors. Subsequently a voicemail was left and said cleaner never returned the call or came round again.

The next one was great for a couple of years – and a cheeky girl too. But she (and her cleaning buddy) soon started turning up for half the time and doing less work. Had a quiet word and they bucked up.

D0NK

I think of it being like decorating, I’d much rather pay someone else to do it than do it myself and consider it money well spent.

The confusing thing is I’ve only ever paid for someone to decorate once and never had a cleaner, guess I’m just tight fisted eh?

Rich
    Free Member

I’m sure I’d only tidy up when I knew they were coming!

hora
    Free Member

Wow. We both work fulltime but I must admit I don’t like clutter or hold onto anything I don’t need so its quite minimalistic. We clean as we go along I guess.

I never thought it was soo ingrained! I’d love someone to come and clean my bike though after a ride 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

**** it. It’s not funny or clever.

Merry Xmas.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I can’t imagine anything more unpleasant/embarrassing than allowing other people in to clean up my mess.

Keva
    Free Member

I’m the cleaner in our house. couldn’t imagine ever employing someone else to clean up after me.

Kev

pedalhead
    Free Member

Yup, once a week for a couple of hours. Definitely a luxury that’s worth having. We cut down on takeaways to pay for the cleaner. It’s not just the time spent cleaning the house that you save, you also get rid of that feeling of stress as you walk around the house knowing you have to clean up all the muck that the children are constantly generating.

DezB
    Free Member

I’m sure I’d only tidy up when I knew they were coming!

Ah, just like my wife! “Can you tidy up your cycling stuff, the cleaner is coming round tomorrow” ! Bonkers.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Yeah much like coffeeking.
    I thought briefly once about a cleaner, but then realised that I’d spend most of the time cleaning the place to make it ready for the cleaner.
    Obviously a pic of Hora in his French maids outfit might sway me though.

hora
    Free Member

I can’t imagine anything more unpleasant/embarrassing than allowing other people in to clean up my mess.

I think thats the nail on the head for me.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I do, mine does a great job and does the ironing too. I also employ fit Turkish lads to wash my cars and someone to do the garden. This may sound extravagant or wasteful but the one thing I don’t have is TIME, anything that gets me more time to do things I enjoy is worth the money.

DezB
    Free Member

a pic of Hora in his French maids outfit might sway me though.

*fires up Paintshop* 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Re the Gardening. Theres a father and son team that goes round our area keeping everyones gardens immaculate on a two-weekly basis. Mrshora was in charge of this and fell out with the gardeners very quickly when she asked them to do the work monthly for the same price as two-weekly complaining that they’d be effectively doing the work for 1/2 price. They refused so no gardening done 😆

2tyred

realised that I’d spend most of the time cleaning the place to make it ready for the cleaner

This is why I’ve refused Mrs Tyred’s suggestions that we’d get one, that’s exactly what would happen.

Don’t know how comfortable I’d be with it anyway – I never feel comfortable in hotels with people paid to clean up behind me.

We just live in filth instead – my children are savages, a cleaner would be a waste of time. We’d need to get her back round within an hour or her leaving.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘How many people here employ a cleaner?’ is closed to new replies.