Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • How many MPG does you car do?
  • Macgyver

Generally about 40mpg. Nissan Almera 1.8 petrol with a slush box so not the most economical set up but I do drive with economy in mind. Hey this might connect to the thread of when did you realise you became your dad! 😉

Anyways that sort of mpg is done on a commute from Oxford to Newbury every day so mix of dual and town driving. Last tank included a trip into London with shite traffic in town and last fridays hell that was the A34 as some muppet pranged again and it dropped to 39mpg. Non of your computer estimates here – this is good old maths coming up with these figures!

scruff
    Free Member

30mpg ish, 1999 Volvo V70 2.5 Turbo, love it.

legend
    Free Member

VW Caddy 1.9 TDi – 43 mpg (average over last 6k miles)

ooOOoo
    Free Member

The new Vauxhall Ampera aparently does 175mpg!
    But that seems to be with a little manipulation of the truth

thomthumb
    Free Member

sold my 1.5dci clio about 1 year ago.

worst economy it ever got was 59mpg. more commonly mid-high 60s but 75 was not unachievable (smooth motorway miles at 60 for a whole tank.)

ac282

The Ampera is a plug-in in hybrid. The MPG test for plug in vehicles is different so I don’t really think they can be compared.

If you only drive it in electric mode it will get much more than 175 mpg (in terms of fuel cost/mile) but if you drive it further than ~ 40 miles without a recharge it is worse than a standard diesel.

5lab

plug in electric cars are measured differently. I think they claim the average car does xx journey (say 50 miles) and as you can do 30 miles on the charge, you’re only using 20miles worth of fuel.

or something equally mongish

edit – as said above. Charging up cars on electricity is cheap (the mini e uses .22 kwh/mile, so say 4 mpkwh, or approx 4p per mile. This is approx 1/3 of the cost of a diesel (so maybe thats where the 150odd mpg figure comes from) – however there are other costs (leasing a battery pack on electric cars costs ~£50 a month, which if you were doing 1000 miles/month would do a lot much equalise the direct fuel costs out)

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mazda 2.0l petrol – struggle to get it over 30mpg, normally about 28mpg. Useless.

Audi A6 2.0l diesel – seems to be getting around 38mpg around town and 48mpg on a steady run but only had it a few weeks so not really had too much chance to measure it that much yet.

sssimon
    Free Member

wifes golf 1.9tdi – 50ish

330i touring – 30.3 (altough will do 20 on a short back road blast

Modified 106 gti – 30 as daily driver and 25 when caned (mates with similar cars can’t believe it as we were expecting 15-20 max)

glenh
    Free Member

Golf 1.4 turbo petrol.

Long term average = 45mpg, includes (semi urban) commute, some longer trips, occasionally with bikes on the roof.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Car 1 = 70mpg, petrol
    Car 2 – 42mpg, petrol
    Van 1 – 45mpg, deisel

morgs
    Free Member

Lunge – cheers. May give it a go

*(mental note – empty all crap from boot)

coffeeking
    Free Member

306 HDi – about 50
    Renault megane 1.6 – about 40
    Celica GT4 – currently 19.8 averag.

titusrider
    Free Member

Alfa Mito 1.4 Multiair Turbo petrol (135bhp)

Claimed 50 mpg
    me driving (on posh petrol) 41mpg

the me driving bit doesnt do it any good at all, i have a habit / driving style of always wanting to be in the power band so i tend to run higher revs most of the time than alot of people. (in other words, i rag it :)) Brilliant little car, the Guilietta multiairs get very good petrol economy too

mattbee

Wife’s 1.8 TDCi Focus gets around 45-50mpg according to the onboard computer.

My 3.9l V8 Range Rover gives me around 12mpg around town, 18mpg longer runs.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

38mpg ish, 2003 Volvo V70 2.4D Turbo, love it

bikebouy
    Free Member

I used to run M5 Touring Sports, the 330d ones, flat chat/towing I used to get 35mpg.. chipped with one of those thingummbobs it then returned 50mpg… never dropped below that until I took that thingummybob off and then it returned to 35mpg..

I also ran M3 Convertable, hellish 19mpg roof down at 80mph, knocking around town max 25mpg, got that chipped too (though not as effective on a petrol engine) and it’d do 30mpg.

Both cars gone now, just thought I’d add to the thread.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Previous car was a beyond race spec VR6 that did 15 MPG average according to the trip, foot down like the R32 I’ve seen as low as 4-5.

My daily is a Skoda Fabia with 240 HP 400LB/FT and according to the the trip computer it does 47 MPG average, although keeping it legal on the motorway can easily get 60MPG.

My 2.1L 16V Scirocco on DTA ECU and ITBs likes to drink.

5lab

stuff in your boot makes minimal difference. A modern car weighs a typical 1500kg. a 10% addition to that would be 150kg, or 10 ‘average’ mountain bikes. even adding that wouldn’t add 10% to your fuel consumption unless you spend your whole time accelerating. a spare wheel and a jumper will make naff all difference

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Why are all the Mondeo owners getting better economy than I am? (No don’t answer that, I do know but am none-the-less shocked) 😯
    TDCI 130, typically 43mpg averaged over 10 mile motorway/A road commutes and a couple of longer (motorway) biking trips each week.

If I try hard I can get 50 mpg on clear A roads but I just can’t drive like that all the time. 😕

khani
    Free Member

Fiat panda multi-jet, general av, 60mpg, motorway at 60, 75mpg motorway at 80 😳 55mpg £30 tax, ins’ group 2
    Measured at fill ups, not by the computer

docrobster
    Free Member

S-max 2.0 tdci 140 has averaged 35 in the 2 yrs we’ve had it. Mostly driven around town by the missus.
    My old 1.7 puma did just under 30mpg with spirited driving roughly half in town half B roads.
    RX-8 230 Bhp does 16-18 same journey. Glug Glug Glug.

5lab

Why are all the Mondeo owners getting better economy than I am? (No don’t answer that, I do know but am none-the-less shocked)
    TDCI 130, typically 43mpg averaged over 10 mile motorway/A road commutes and a couple of longer (motorway) biking trips each week.

If I try hard I can get 50 mpg on clear A roads but I just can’t drive like that all the time.

injectors could be on their way out. When my mate did them on his, he got an extra 10% mpg afterwards.

Otherwise, driving style

davidrussell
    Free Member

Modified Clio sport 15MPG

Jonk – ITB’s?

I’ve got a clio 200 and the MPG settles between 27-28 mpg which is normally fairly sedate urban driving with a wee blast when she’s warm 🙂

the00
    Free Member

bikebouy – What are car 1 and van 1 please?

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Individual throttle bodies, as in one per cylinder.

stumpy01

Ecky-Thump – Member
    Why are all the Mondeo owners getting better economy than I am? (No don’t answer that, I do know but am none-the-less shocked)

Sounds about right for a 10 mile commute. If your commute went up to about 30 miles or so, then you’d probably see that climb to about 50mpg.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

Wifes 118d (chipped) – 52
    My XC90 – 28

Tasso
    Free Member

23mph or less from the Impreza Turbo on Momentum (probably not what the OP was after) and between 45 and 55 from the 130TDI PD Octavia.

The lower figure is on a short 8 mile commute with particularly harsh stop/start hard acceleration. Sensible driving over any distance and it’d be hard to dip below 50. Done 110k in it since 2004 and it’s been great for everything including comfortable overnight cruises down to Verbier.

I’ll probably get another eventually as the latest ones are even better but with similar bike lugging capacity.

Interestingly the Octy is only £130 squid tax now and has the same engine and great 6 speed box as the Fabia VRS and equivalent Ibiza sport. Suspension is softer than an eider down duvet but aside from that they are brill.

Gachet
    Free Member

2006 Skoda Octavia VRS petrol – Average 35 mpg, best was 41 mpg. This mainly does long trips only, would not be too clever aorund town, probably less than 30.
    1995 BMW M3 – 27 to 29 mpg.
    2002 MG ZS 180 – 28 to 30 mpg.

GTDave
    Free Member

2.0Tdci S-Max – 46mpg, mostly school runs!

maxray
    Free Member

2.0tdi Touran (140) getting early 40’s at the mo but I am not trying to drive economically.

toby1

Civic EP3 typeR only just got it and not going to bother looking – I didn’t buy it for efficiency! Keeping your foot down till vtec kicks in is great but you can almost watch the fuel guage drop.

If I had to commute to work by car it’d be a whole different story (as in something far more sedate and sensible).

Wozza
    Free Member

E46 330d Tourer, give it some and it’ll do 40mpg-ish combined, drive it sensibly on the motorway and it’ll do 56.8mpg average at 73mph.

It’s much more fun at 40mpg though.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

mines shite as well (read as – lead right foot)

currently getting 43 mpg out of a 11 month old mondeo (163 bhp)

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Focus TDCI estate 2003 160K miles. Using as little fuel as possible is the only entertainment left in driving. Hard Michelin economy tyres, and I don’t bother about upsetting people. Smooth is the word.

I always get over 60. Long trips on motorways I can get 75..80. Two weeks ago I did 230 miles on 13 litres on an almost door to door motorway trip. (Lorries were involved :))

My wife drives the same car and won’t get more than 55. And last summer I did only 39 booting it at 80MPH to South of France with three bikes and roof luggage, – which proves it is still a normal car.

M6TTF
    Free Member

davidrussell – Member
    Modified Clio sport 15MPG
    Jonk – ITB’s?

throttle bodies

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

RX-8 230 Bhp does 16-18 same journey. Glug Glug Glug.

I assume you mean 16-18 miles per gallon. Of oil.

😉

Simon

Citroen C2 1.4 diesel – 50mpg general driving about, no motorways. 60mpg on a motorway trip.

Mazda Bongo, 25mpg, that’s fully loaded or not, fast or slow, always seems to be 25mpg! Ouch.

Edric64
    Free Member

Of course the question is: why the chuff do we measure mpg when we sell petrol in litres?

Because this is England we drive in miles and foriegn measurements were forced on us when Heath took us into the Common Market?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘How many MPG does you car do?’ is closed to new replies.