Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How Many Headset Spacers Are Too Many?
  • GrahamS

This many?

(As seen on a local train at the weekend)

😆

weeksy

>3

tazzymtb

What the hell is going on with the spacers on the orange thing in the background? Jeesus does no-one cut their steerer anymore? Its got all the sartorial elegance and visual appeal of rab c nesbit in a mankini and leg caliper

the commuter effort I dont mind as they all look like dogs and it least it stops it getting nicked.

therevokid
    Free Member

none at all … SLAM that stem … 🙂

hot_fiat

Wow! Presumably the extra wobbliness makes up for the jarring puritanical rigidness of the M1000.

timb34
    Free Member

The Cannondale appears to be fitted with a stem extender. A Google image search for “stem extender” shows some more extreme examples of anti-slamming. Like this one:

GrahamS

Yeah I think it is one of these:

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/satori-stem-up-shaft-extension/aid:257312

I was particularly impressed that even that extension wasn’t enough, so he’d fitted an adjustable-angle stem on top at 45 degrees for a bit of extra height!

woody2000

About this many I reckon 🙂

GrahamS

That’s a beautiful thing woody.

I imagine that one dark day, as the last spurts of blood are dribbling down the steerer protruding from his chest, the owner of that bike might think “Y’know, maybe I should have bought a hacksaw”

woody2000

In his defence, it has now been cut down. It was like that for a while though 🙂

drovercycles
    Free Member

On a rigid fork with a steel steerer (assuming that is what it is) then there’s nothing much wrong (apart from the aesthetics) with running a big stack of spacers. In the case of that Cannondale a larger frame might have been more appropriate but it depends on the position required and ultimately, function should take precedence over form, surely?

In the case of a sus fork or anything with an alloy or carbon steerer then the manufacturer will generally set a limit but 30mm or so if probably the most you’d want.

And yes, if it’s a bike you want to go fast on, slammed all the way is the rule!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Results of contact with a Similar Stem setup =

GrahamS

I did some measuring in the name of science:

I think when your combined spacer and stem rise is roughly twice the length of your head tube then yes, “a larger frame might have been more appropriate” 😆

Apparently Rose do some even bigger ones though. 120mm extension anyone?

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose-steerer-tube-extension/aid:721075

😯

wwaswas

Sheldon’s Thorn;

[edit] although to be fair to him Thorn do seem to design their bikes around using a foot of spacers on a massive headtube;

GrahamS

Do Thorn supply a stepladder for climbing aboard that?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If you have a bad back that’s getting worse you’d sympathize. Just get out and ride.

GrahamS

Surely if it’s a bad back thing you wouldn’t raise the saddle up to the same height as the bars?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How Many Headset Spacers Are Too Many?’ is closed to new replies.