Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)
  • How many ex-pats do we have on here?
  • konabunny
    Free Member

I’m more of a serial immigrant than an expat. New South Wales. I don’t intend to go back to the UK to live or work but otoh I think the Australian economy is in much greater danger than everyone else thinks it is, so…

rkk01
    Free Member

I think the Australian economy is in much greater danger than everyone else thinks

How come? Are those thoughts sector specific? or just the economy in general?

I was under the impression that a lot of the Australian resilience was commodities driven…

Mackem

Near to Bilbao, in the Basque country. Came here on holiday, been here 5 years now. It´s the longest I´ve ever lived in one place since leaving home for Uni.

Bream
    Free Member

4½ years into life in Southern Sweden, can’t see us ever moving back TBH.

The summer:

The winter:

simonralli2
    Free Member

I am in Brazil, but after saying that am flying back to Blighty today for 3 or 4 weeks.

spagetti89
    Free Member

Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Devon originally

bob_summers

I’m not in Spain 😉

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Smogmonster – google perth mtb and you will get the clubs website which has details of all the local rides, the photo in my post is jarrahdale

Riding pretty good once you get used to the peagravel, generally the mtb ‘scene’ is made up of a small number of dedicated riders, not much general mtb interest around and not much stuff in most bike shops.

Save all your your wiggle and crc purchases until you get here – not vat and free postage, but buy lots of hard to source cotic and singular frames before you leave….

Email in profile for more info.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Double post

HansRey

not expat yet, but moving to Finland in July. No plans to return to the UK full time. Belgium, NZ, Oz, Germany and Austria are pretty attractive atm too 🙂

blades2000
    Free Member

Will be an expat again soon, this time it’s Bogota Colombia, still not sure how I feel about it yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

not expat yet, but moving to Finland in July

Lucky git 🙂

cb

What professions are people in – there’s a real variety of locations mentioned there!

molgrips
    Free Member

IT.

portlyone

I was an expat. My family moved to Peru when I was 12. I came back for university and proper sausages. Strange how you miss the small things!

stratobiker
    Free Member

I’m in Central France.

Been here full-time since 2007.

Semi retired IT contractor.

Now full-time cyclist! 😉

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

I havent lived in the Uk now for 5 years.

Left when i was 20 and now living in Innsbruck, Austria.

Best bike place 😉

5 Bike Parks within 1hr or so.

Miss Dominos thats about it

molgrips
    Free Member

Nick I was nearly in Innsbruck yesterday. Glad to hear there are bike parks nearby, will be visiting them in the summer.

jj55

I’m still living a mile from the house I was born in …….. should i move?

Pigface
    Free Member

Finland is an excellent choice 🙂

Clockwork667
    Free Member

I concur with Kitz_Chris, bit snowy here at the mo.
    Colorado USA

stratobiker
    Free Member

No, not if you are happy there.

rockhopperbike

in the desert that is Zaragoza- northern Spain, only for a year, but it’s been fun so far

nicko74

What professions are people in – there’s a real variety of locations mentioned there!

meeja researcher here. It’s lots of numbers, and people are sufficiently scared of them to think it’s magic and hence give me a visa 🙂

Haven’t done ANY riding since I got here though, but roll on spring. I’m also hoping to get down to Utah again, now that it’s only 4 hours’ or so flight.

anlegov
    Free Member

I’m in Slovenia. Been here more than 10 years. Great riding (STW have been here more than once to report), whatever your taste. I work in a research lab.

JoeBones
    Free Member

I live near Belfast, it is shit as is the UK and its lack of job prospects, I am divorcing but have three great kids, should I up sticks and leave?

We had a chat about this thread today in our site office, lets face it the quality of life in UK is turd

molgrips
    Free Member

lets face it the quality of life in UK is turd

Rubbish. You might’ve had a crap time of it, that’s your problem not the UKs.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I depends why you left in the first place. And whether “now” feels the right time to go back.

darrell
    Free Member

i live in a place called Hommersåk, Norway. Winter lasts forever but i really like it here. Moved from the UK 10 yrs ago. 5 years in Zurich and now Norway. I agree with the above speaker, “quality of life in the UK is mostly shite”. I wont be returning, other than to visit family and friends

molgrips
    Free Member

quality of life in the UK is mostly shite

Such a stupid statement.

Most countries have pros and cons. The UK has a lot of pros, however they are sadly lost on so many people. Great shame.

Squidlord
    Free Member

OK, I’ll bite. What are the pros?

JoeBones
    Free Member

Bob Diamond?

nicko74

Pros about the UK:
    – you can get a good curry, ranging from madras, to tikka masala, rogan josh, peshwari nan, paneer gobi…. I could go on.
    – Barstaff know which beers should be served cold and which ones warm.
    – You can see masses of music from the US, Europe, Canada, Australia, France etc etc etc.
    – You can buy alcohol in the corner store, and have change left from a fiver!
    – Fish and chips is a) possible and b) something that people understand without having to translate.
    – Tea is available on tap, you don’t have to import decent teabags.
    – People don’t give you a funny look when you ask for squash, y’know, diluting juice? No? D@mn.
    – There are around 20 different countries you can visit within a 4 hour flight of London.

Oh god, what have I done?!
    <sob>

molgrips
    Free Member

Of the UK? Well off the top of my head

Intelligent forward looking tolerant culture
    Accessibility of mountains, seaside
    Outstanding natural and man-made beauty
    Some of the world’s best museums, art galleries etc etc etc etc
    One of the world’s biggest and greatest cities
    Countryside access
    Good career prospects
    Great cultural output (tv, film, music, literature etc)

For a few.

That’s not a competitive list, by which I mean it’s not meant to say my country’s better than yours. However it is a list of good things.

Just because you used to wallow in some hole of a crap town doesn’t mean the whole country’s bad.

rs
    Free Member

yeah, thats not really saying much for the uk nicko.

Been in Vancouver 3 years, no plans to move back.

twentyniners
    Free Member

Shiny – where in KL? I’m back in London at the mo but should be back soon.

Being chased by a pack of monkeys as a downpour closed in – and as you know that means it got dark – on the Mont Kiara singletrack was…….. interesting….

alanl6538
    Free Member

Looking at moving at the moment

Fish & chips and orange squash isn’t really an argument for staying somewhere.

The UK is Okay, but other places clearly have something to offer.

Only thing I want to stay for is family and friends and familiarity – otherwise keen to explore.

Everywhere has it’s pros and cons I guess

loddrik
    Free Member

Liverpool.

I tried living down south but it was shite.

peteimpreza

Anlegov where in Slovenia?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Hey Clockwork667 – Where in Colorado are you?

I just got back from a weekend Skiing and back to the day job. I work in Academia, but the real reason I’m here is bike racing.

Boulder has the most vibrant mountain bike scene I know of; the local Wednesday night race series attracts some of the fastest riders in the USA. Just one of many reasons I’m here.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘How many ex-pats do we have on here?’ is closed to new replies.