Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • How many crashes/falls did you have in 2011
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve had three falls this year, two were minor and one not so minor, which required stitches in my knee.

Did anyone manage to see out the year unscathed?

RAPID-RIDER
    Free Member

Had a nice over the bars on a steep downhill. Went down with the ship and my face broke my fall. Didn’t think I had done any damage a bit of a scrape under my nose. Then two weeks later bit into some chocolate and my crown came out. I had broken the tooth but because I had a root canal had no feeling! €1000 to get a new crown fitted!
    Thats not bad for a the year though!! 😀

amedias
    Free Member

I broke my thumb – it hurt a lot for such a stupid small injury…

however my other riding buddies were not so lucky, we’ve had 9 trips to A+E between us this year…

1 broken collar bone
    1 badly bruised sternum
    2 lots of cracked ribs
    1 hurty leg
    1 herniated disc in lower back
    1 chipped elbow + hurty leg
    my broken thumb
    1 bashed noggin with concussion and mangled hand for good measure

here’s hoping 2012 is a bit better!
    :-/

honourablegeorge

Racing down a rocky tree-lined path, full tilt. Bar brushed sone leaves on one side, with turned out not to be leaves, but were, in face, a dirty great branch. Bars turned I went over the bars, landing drove my elbow into my ribs, ribs **** for about two weeks. Thought I was on the mend, picked up one of the kids, something in my ribs clicked, **** again for another three weeks.

Been riding rather tentatively since it happened, too. Been v. slow downhill.

honourablegeorge

amedias – Member

1 hurty leg

Nothing worse

mintimperial

Good grief, I have no idea! Loads. None of them big enough to result in anything more than minor bumps and grazes, though. I think my favourite was the head-first OTB into a massive gorse bush, leaving me with loads of teeny tiny itchy pinprick scratches. Still not sure how that happened as I was just pootling down a farm track at the time.

rocketman
    Free Member

Went through a rather strange period earlier this year where I had a few fairly big stacks but lived to ride again and somehow the thought got stuck in my head that I wasn’t trying hard enough unless I crashed.

A few miserable weeks off the bike with self-induced MTB injuries was enough to convince me otherwise.

Crash total this year would have to be in excess of 20. Lots of torn clothing and damaged parts. The ground is really hard.

takisawa2

Just the one, back in April right at the end of Cannock’s Monkey Trail.
    Really thought I’d broke my leg. Nasty gash on the knee & elbow. Thanks to those who stopped to help out.
    Sold the FS not long after, bought home to me I’m not a flexy bendy kid any more. Prefer my clown wheel ht these days.

honourablegeorge

mintimperial – Member
    Good grief, I have no idea! Loads. None of them big enough to result in anything more than minor bumps and grazes, though. I think my favourite was the head-first OTB into a massive gorse bush, leaving me with loads of teeny tiny itchy pinprick scratches. Still not sure how that happened as I was just pootling down a farm track at the time.

I had a great one of those. Down a really steep rocky chute. Mate ahead of me didn’t make the corner at the bottom, went over and into the gorse. He was just climbing out when I did the same, not realising he’d come off, and landed on top of him.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Went otb pelting back from the Cutgate cairn towards langsett in the middle of summer, was on the ht and it felt like a pump track! Bruised my intercostal muscles, took about 3 months for the pain to go fully. Shortly after this, on the same trail further off the moor I did the same thing only much faster and landing in heather, bruised the opposite side, another 3 months of pain lol those muscles take ages to heal.

5lab

too many to count. Didn’t have any really nasty injuries though (just lost bits of skin etc) so thats all good.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve had a few decent offs this year… I am currently nursing a broken hand, its not stopping me doing anyting but smething is floating bout in there causing me agony now and again.. should probably get it checked out.

justatheory
    Free Member

I’m not a flexy bendy kid any more

Same here. It takes ages to recover from injuries these days, which is making me more of a pussy when I ride, which probably just increases the likelihood of a crash.

sambob
    Free Member

No bad crashes, plenty of falling off, saying ow, shaking it off and carrying on. Only 1 where I’ve had to stop and chill out for a bit, but not broken anything.

BoardinBob

Aside from comedy slow speed falls…

One big one at Kirroughtree back in April. Going full pelt down a rocky bit and my front wheel washed out on a pointy rock. That’s the first time I’ve ever had a proper full speed crash. I was shaken but ok. Managed to wreck my rear seat stay though 🙁 Abandonded the ride and headed back to the car park shaking with adrenaline the whole way.

Fell a few times on Ben Lomond and managed to break some ribs which was agony for weeks.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Too many to keep count, but mostly pretty minor. Crashed twice in one lap of a race (first crash really puts you off!) and had a sore wrist from that for a good few months.

Did a classic over the bars at another race too as a slow chap waved me past then cut me up, forcing me into a ditch. No injuries from that one.

Singlespeed bike spat me off on the commute too when the chain popped off as I stamped down hard on the pedals. Cobbles hurt, but the bike came off worse than me on that one.

Cyclocross is good for fast unexpected dismounts when the front wheel gets stuck in the mud at races, but at least the landings are soft. 🙂

No stitches or broken bones this year, so can’t complain.

flyingmonkeycorps

Lots of little ones, but nothing worse than cuts and bruises fortunately. Worst on a bike was on the Panoramique green (!) trail down towards Chatel – a slower chap and his son had kindly pulled over to let us by, and obviously I wanted to show off / get back up to speed (delete as applicable). Overpumped a jump, landed too far into the corner and had to drastically brake and steer to avoid leaping off the edge of the mountain… Resulted in me sliding along the gravel on my arse for quite some way, trying to hang onto my bike so it didn’t disappear into the abyss.

Most amusing (non-biking) injury was falling off a wall trying to get into an abandoned window due to being startled by a smackhead in the rehab centre opposite… Landed on my finger and gouged a big lump out of it.

Worst injury of the year was a completely innocuous fall off a slackline onto grass, landed and rolled my foot at an odd angle and ended up hobbling around on a walking stick for about a week.

momo

A couple of small ones at the begining of the year in the snow and ice, followed by a big over the bars moment at Cwmcarn in April, which put me out of action for a month or so (I still have no feeling on the skin on my left knee!). 2nd ride back after the crash I tucked the front through a sandy turn and sliced my elbow open that I’d messed up in the Cwmcarn crash.

Have had a couple of minor ones since then, but nothing to write home about.

BoardinBob

Remarkably I managed a week in Morzine without a single crash which is a miracle.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

I was seriously happy with my riding until the start of August when I stacked it riding a familiar trail in the Peaks which thankfully left me battered, stiff and sore but nothing major.

I then stacked it in Les Houches at the start of September on the penultimate corner of the penultimate day of my Alps holiday. Hurt both shoulders as it was an over-the-bars off for which I’m still having problems with and will soon be visiting the physio for.

Then out on a local ride in the first week of October, for the final outing on my FS before I sold it, I had the front wheel completely wash out. Bruised, grazed and I hurt my left wrist. Which I’m now unable to put weight through without pain so again hopefully sorted by the physio visit.

Then in November, the front wheel washed out again that left me with a seriously swollen thigh and hip and some nice gouges. It’s only really just healed.

So 4 stacks in 4 months has left me with zero confidence and motivation for riding. I seem to be in a cycle of ride, start building my confidence back then crash again. I’ve ridden twice since the last one and find myself being quite nervous and over thinking 🙁

I think a hearty dose of MTFU is required 🙂 and maybe a skills course/coaching.

andytherocketeer

erm 2011 hasn’t finished yet. Still a useful number of riding days to go. Don’t want to tempt fate.

_tom_
    Free Member

A couple of small ones but nothing eventful. I had a big one in August 2010 which I’m still hurting from. Best crash this year was coming off the Fatcrobat log ride too fast into that really slippy mud before the tight corners. Bike went sideways and I went straight into the bushes and mud 🙂 twas my only crash in 2 months of Whistler so I feel quite lucky, especially when you see people being carted off in slings etc.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Over the handlebars – crank fell on back of leg- achilles tendon badly bruised, couldn’t walk, on crutches for a couple of days-now have 5 puncture wound marks to show for it.

Got better . . . .

2nd ride back – off sideways after catching back wheel on tree stump – broken metacarpules in right hand x3 – hand in plaster for 7 weeks – still don’t feel right?

A proper right off this year!!!

chiefgrooveguru

Mr Rocketeer is quite correct – in 2010 I saved my biggest accident for the 27th December – off the bike for three months with a mashed up ankle with eight bits of titanium in it…

timnwild

Loads of tiny slow ones, a handful of lucky big ones, then a full-on shoulder-and-head-land last week, which I can still feel in my shoulder, and had me digging mud out of helmet, as wel as re-attaching the wheel, as I’d caught the qr lever in the dirt and pulled my back wheel off.

As I sat there, hoping I hadn’t broken anything, I actually though I’d sheared the whole back wheel off before my senses returned.

Lucky…

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

Yep, alot

though only 1 that required A+E

had several at Cwm Carn, not surprisingly and a couple of beauties at Afan, got pretty good a falling now tuck and roll and hope the bike is ok – bones and skin heal – bikes cost money!!

ebygomm
    Free Member

A big fat zero 🙂

I don’t like falling off

jhw
    Free Member

Cracked a rib near Les Houches in June on a fire road leading to a singletrack above St Gervais. There was a wet metal waterbar crossing the trail – the bike went straight down and I kept going. And going. I then rode the trail. This is it. It was worth it!

That one hurt in the morning.

I had a spectacular one on Sick Track in the rain in July (Gary you were there if you’re reading this) – flying through the air, landed squarely on the back of my head

Had another spectacular one with Bike Verbier near Sierre. I was going quite fast (for me) on an easy bit of trail, saw a bunch of riders crouched by a corner with cameras out so thought “accelerate”. Rounded the corner into a massive rockfield I completely failed to anticipate. Fell squarely into a rock, it was like being punched in the face albeit that I was wearing a full face.

So three big big ones…and a million minor ones…nothing broken but was v. lucky

odd saying that as I think of myself as a very conservative, mellow, wimpy rider. The most dangerous crashes have been on easy sections following hard sections, where I failed to concentrate enough (a common theme I’m sure).

cheers_drive

Generally I don’t crash much, not because I’m so good but because I generally don’t push myself hard enough, and in my experience the less you crash (unless it’s a BAD one) the more you get scared of doing it so you hold back.

My memorable one of the year was dropping into the Picnic Bench trail in LW and the front tyre immediately burping most of the air out. I managed to get almost to the bottom but coudn’t turn so went straight off a small rock lip, the rear wheel landed first throwing my weight onto the air free front tyre. My hip took the brunt of it but it could have been much worse as the I came to a stop with my glasses pressed against a rock which had just started to grind a groove into them and my face.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing that I can remeber so they must not have been hurty if I did.

Ah – dumped the tandem a couple of times including one on a descent of rivington

ciderinsport
    Free Member

The year isn’t over yet 😯

Fell off twice last night! And once on Friday night! Cider might be involved…

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

No big offs this year but I think that’s more good luck than management. ESP since I tend to push myself when it comes to going downhill. Even when I’m on my own in the lakes I tend to go balls out. I know I shouldn’t but I can’t help it, I see a downhill and set off with the best intentions but within 20 mtrs I think stuff it. Iv’e got a feeling it will end in tears one of these days.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Plenty of tumbles (2 the result of avid brake failiure)

Hanfull of more serious offs including spraining my wrist on the new bit of stickler.

1 broken arm in my biggest and most spectacular crash to date riding the ridiculator track in spain 🙁

jimc101
    Free Member

Just about every ride I manage to come off, haven’t managed to damage myself too much this year; wrecked 2 wheels in seperate crashes and cracked a helmet when I managed to come off when riding along a nice flat bridleway. Biggest crashes 2 hurt chest / ribs, same place with in 3 weeks of each other, lots of bruises, but nothing which has sent me to hopsital (10 more days left to try to this year)

2tyred

Broken collarbone, KO and load of road rash sustained in a road race.

Cracked ribs and dislocated finger on the mtb.

Hoping for a quieter year next year!

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Been getting faster this year, and riding better. Had a couple of comedy offs in the greasy mud in the alps in July, and one recently when I dislocated my thumb, but apart from those nothing. 😀

This is probably the first year I have ever been able to claim this though.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Just a couple. The worst of the two was messing up a bunnyhop of a sleeping policemen, resulting in very deep bruising to my hip and a scabby elbow. I really shouldn’t attempt bunnyhops.

iridebikes
    Free Member

too many to remember. Mostly on my bmx, down the trails, riding bowls etc. I had a couple of bad ones, I messed up my shoulder pretty bad in a bowl, made whole leg turn purple falling off on a vert ramp, knocked myself out once, went over the bars a few times at the trails, and tons more.

chvck
    Free Member

Loads of small ones messing about riding DH tracks. Only 3 big ones this year I think, 2 riding XC, one big enough that you can see where I went tumbling down the side of trail on my gps track! Then I broke one of the metacarpals in my hand riding DH 2 weeks ago. Xmas dinner is going to be interesting with just the one hand!

soobalias
    Free Member

dont think i missed a beat till august…

not ridden much recently 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘How many crashes/falls did you have in 2011’ is closed to new replies.