Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • how far could i get and how long could i survive on £10000.
  • doh
    Free Member

if you decided to jack it all in and go travelling where would you go and what could you do to make about £10000 pounds last as long as poss.

ton

a heck of a long way.
    cheapest ferry crossing is from dover to dunkurque. then the whole of europe and the middle and far east is available without having to fly or take a boat.
    bread and jam is cheap and is also ideal cycling fodder. cheap bivvy bag and a nice kip bag should see you right for most of the time too.

yep, a heck of a long way.

iDave
    Free Member

Passage on a ship to South America, then come back in 20 years or so. You can pick up casual work as you go, do a TEFL course before you leave. Food can be cheap. Write about your trip. All sorts of ways to earn on the road.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

south America? Indian sub continent is probably cheaper. 6 – 12 months depending quite how much you want to rough it

stratobiker
    Free Member

With that much wad you could be gone for years. Like Ton says, hope over the channel and away you go. You can always pick up a few days work along the way.

Walking or by bike is best, an old bike, nothing fancy. No rush, just enjoy the trip.

If you’re passing my way I’ll make you a sandwich and a cuppa!

SB

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

1 steel bike + plus racks and panniers
    Good light weight tent and minimal camping kit.

And pedal.

iDave
    Free Member

The more you’re prepared to chat to random strangers, the longer you’ll survive for – opportunities for work, lodgings, free food etc. Keep to yourself to yourself and you spend more.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

With £10k you’d never need to come back. Go to South Africa, do a skipper course, work the rest of your days moving yachts around the world for rich folk and get paid for it. I have a mate who does this – jealous muchly.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Vietnam and S.E. Asia. 2 years. Have fun 🙂

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You could also go to Findo Gask. Quite possibly the best placename anywhere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Long ride for a pie. from uk to nz on a bike with 10k dollars and he never spent it all neither

Alistair humphreys would kill for that budget on any of his trips …

ton

i have a urge to cycle tour the whole of scandinavia.
    i know it will be hellish expensive, but it has a hold on me.
    one day mebee.

matt_outandabout

ton – look up friluftsliv = cheap and simple. So you are allowed to stay in one place and eat enough from that crop (e.g. apple from tree, potato from ground) for you only that night. Ace.

tomm
    Free Member

i love threads like this. i currently have a wedge of cash stuck in the pipeline and i have very itchy feet. i’m just waiting for inspiration to strike. i quite like the idea of never coming back.

billysugger
    Free Member

+1

darrell
    Free Member

anyone cycling around Norway is welcome at my place for a brew and grub and somewhere to crash for the night

sugdenr
    Free Member

on my own, quite a while – but with the family, not long at all 😯

doh
    Free Member

liking it so far but not too fond of the sea cheers anyway SBZ.
    at the moment it between europe and keep going or canada then through the states keeping ahead of the cold weather although i’m guessing this would be much less miles per £

iDave
    Free Member

If you want to keep going there are more options for ad-hoc work in the developing world rather than North America, and cheaper living.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Become an international courier, free flights and see the world 😉

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I,d like to do the Grand tour on my bike.France to Venice,back through Germany and Holland etc.All on me bike of course.Anybody done it?Could it be done in two months?

tall_martin

A mate i met traveling in Oz had spent £1000 in a year in India. He’d spent £1000 in 6 week in Oz.

That was a long time ago-2001 but Inflation can’t have gone un that much?

For proper inspiration try

http://tracksterman.tumblr.com/

crazyguyonabike.com

meehaja
    Free Member

I inherited 10k last year. Bought a house since my wife was pregnant.

….Kinda wish I’d just got on my bike and saw where life took me…

fourbanger
    Free Member

On a related note, does anyone have a budget for a RTW trip? What’s the minimum you could do it on without being a cycling tramp?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘how far could i get and how long could i survive on £10000.’ is closed to new replies.