Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Hotel wanted in that there Londinium
  • druidh
    Free Member

Gonna pop down and be a tourist for a few days in April and I’ll be bringing Mrs and Ms Druidh along. Any recommendations for something clean and comfortable fairly near the centre so we’re not travelling in an out much?

We’ll be pretty pooped in the evenings, so not looking for gyms/pools or owt – really just a place to sleep and (mibbe) have breakfast.

TIA

geoffj

I usually stay in Travelodges when I’m down that way, but last time, I stayed at the Radisson Edwardian Grafton Hotel booked through lastminute.com, which was very nice (Tottenham court road, so central ish).

The most central Travelodge (Covent Garden), wasn’t great, last time I stayed there, but I believe that it’s being refurbished.

Kings Cross and Waterloo are my favourites and both pretty accessible.

Cougar

Secret hotels on LastMinute. Generally good hotels for no money, and a bit of googling will generally tell you where you’re going.

Edric64
    Free Member

The youth hostels can be quite good and cheap

Stoner
    Free Member

laterooms can be very good. Especially in the City of London on the weekend.

We got a £300 room, bumped up to a superior £500 room, and paid £120.

toby1

I stayed at the NH hotel on Euston Road recently, was lovely and only a short walk from Kings cross. Also recommend the City Inn in Westminster, nice quiet and relaxing hotel.

Finally, if you have a friend or family member in the brand then the Hilton metrpole is good too (with discount of course).

Enjoy.

AlasdairMc

I’ve stayed in the City Inn in Wesminster – nice place, great food and Caley 80 as their guest ale. I’d recommend the Hilton Metropole if you’re coming from Heathrow as it’s only a short walk from Paddington. Also, Thistle at the Barbican was alright but a fair walk from anywhere.

My recommendation would be Club Quarters if you’re there over a weekend. They’re hotels for business travellers so you don’t waste cash on leisure centres and breakfast – hotels.com was decent enough to find one at very short notice.

samuri
    Free Member

DO NOT stay in the harrow lodge travelodge next to liverpool street station. (Just behind the gerkhin). It’s absolutely god-awful.

mAx_hEadSet

There is an ibis by Euston Station that I would not decline to use again

Mugboo

We stayed at the travel lodge nr Fulham Broadway last year and it was lovely and just a minute or two from the tube.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I like the Covent Garden Hotel, No idea on prices sorry.

hora
    Free Member

Lastminute – search for just ‘top secret’ then enter the blurb into google.

We’ve stayed at the Hilton/Marble Arch for £70 a night and a great one (B&O TV in rooms) right behind M&S in Oxford Road for similar.

Abit of detective work can turn these up however I’m not sure you can do it that far ahead.

I would never ever stay at a Travel Lodge ever. Holiday Inn Express? Definitely. Its worth paying a tiny bit more IMO when you stay with family in a hotel.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Travelodges in London are dreadful – recently stayed at the Covent Garden one. Not good.

I usually find that Premier Travel Inns are better (although not stayed at any in London).

geoffj

The Travelodges in London are dreadful – recently stayed at the Covent Garden one. Not good.

Some are better than others.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some are better than others.

Well granted they are. The Covent Garden one is split into two and the part on Edgeware Road is better than the other side.

But a very good friend is high up in Travelodge (and used to run the area). He admits that they are all pretty well much below par.

hora
    Free Member

I always thought Travel Lodges were used by people for illicit lunch time sex sessions and hen doo’s?

Surely no one actually choses to stay in them?

We booked into one once, asked for a different room twice then gave up and left as I couldn’t face sleeping on a pillow crushed flat through over-use and carpet with stains etc.

lunge

3rd the lastminute.com Top Secret hotels, I’ve had a couple of stays in the Hilton at Olympia and one at the Millenium on the Gloucester Road for well under £100 per night.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I always thought Travel Lodges were used by people for illicit lunch time sex sessions

Some of the stories I have heard 🙂

My mate says there are many regulars who ask to be put in particular rooms. Of course this always raises the suspicions of staff so they check the obvious hiding holes (toiler cisterns etc).

They usually turn up cross-dressing gear or dodgy hardcore.

And if you ask at reception they will sell a room by the hour apparently.

:-O

geoffj

But a very good friend is high up in Travelodge (and used to run the area). He admits that they are all pretty well much below par.

Below par compared to what?

Its about expectation. You know what you are going to get usually. Whilst you can get lucky with lastminute.com, you often get the poorest rooms in the hotel – and there are a lot of poor hotel rooms in apparently swanky hotels.

Premier Inns are OK, but they tend to be more expensive than Travelodges.

Like I say, Waterloo is decent, as is the one at Euston.

geoffj

They usually turn up cross-dressing gear or dodgy hardcore.

Busted! 8)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

City Inn Westminster is supposed to be rather good. It’s also just down the road from Flash Towers, as it happens…! 🙂

Of course, you could try the Goring. Best hotel in town, IMHO.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Below par compared to what?

Below par compared to their ‘better’ hotels. Another good example is the Manchester City Centre one – he admits they don’t spend money on it because it is full most of the time anyway so they won’t spend money on making it better.

geoffj

he admits they don’t spend money on it because it is full most of the time

Sounds like good business sense to me then. The VFM / Location / Ease of use appears to be good enough for their target market.

City Inn room rates are in a different league £159 a night for a random date in February.

Pay your money – take your chance.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sounds like good business sense to me then. The VFM / Location / Ease of use appears to be good enough for their target market.

Well perhaps yes. I was merely making the point that the London centre Travelodges are below par even by Travelodge’s standards.
    🙄

hora
    Free Member

The issue is having to pay up front as well.

If you pay upfront and really don’t like the room your pretty much stuffed aren’t you?

Holiday Inn Express’s tend to be of a certain standard so at least you know your young ones wont grow up with a memory of a ghastly hotel stay once in London!

richmars

Half price if you book today at Hilton

I’ve stayed at Docklands which is a bit far out but you can use the river bus thing which is good fun.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Hotel wanted in that there Londinium’ is closed to new replies.