Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Hope/Chris king Bottom brackets .. worth the money??
  • renton
    Free Member

My 3 month old deore BB is shot so I need to buy a new one.

Are the chris king or hope ones worth the quite a bit extra over the shimano ones??

Are there any other reliable alternatives?

cheers

Steve

MussEd
    Free Member

Yes

Twin
    Free Member

My truvativ one lasted 4 months. Hope BB is still like new after 6 months. Definitely worth the money.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hope ceramic worth getting over steel?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I have Hope B/B’s on all my bikes, The longest serving is on my winter road bike which has notched up 30,000m so far.

renton
    Free Member

Just out of interest why/how do they last so much longer?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mainly full stainless INA bearings, that’s both balls and cages. unlike other that just use stainless balls.

Rickos
    Free Member

My Shimano ones have lasted longer than my Hope did. Cost of Hope bearings means you’re almost as well to get a complete new Shimano one anyway. Chris King apparently use surgical steel, so no matter how rough they get you can clean them up and regrease and pop them back in.

creamegg
    Free Member

Hope ceramics here. 3 yeras and still going strong

alaric

External bearing? If you don’t know that it’s already been done, get the bb shell faced or you may have problems whatever you fit…

br
    Free Member

Yes. I’ve both steel and ceramic Hope’s. Steel’s on its 4th frame and the Ceramic was a treat when I bought my Ti frame 4 years ago.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I had a 2nd hand king one which lasted 2 years, it only died when I drifted the cranks out with a rubber mallet and the inner race of the drive side came out with them scattering the balls across the garage 🙁

They were bone dry, so the sealing isn’t upto much (there isn’t much), but there was no grit and the bearings were still smooth. On that basis I’d buy another for a winter bike/singlespeed/commuter (which is where it was) but I’d get the greasing tool as well. Having said that I’m not sure how much help it would have been!

Haze

Very happy with my Hope BB (stainless) just short of 3 years old and holding up well.

It’s been ridden through some right shit weather too.

P20

Happy with my Kings. I had Phil Wood bearings in a race face bb shell for 3yrs before that. The Phil Wood is probably the best value for money option

Farticus

Phil Wood external BBs on mine. As near fit and forget as you’ll find.

discoduck
    Free Member

I’ve got a hope with Steel bearings and it’s been in 18 months with no issues. All thro last summers wet season which merged into winter.

I know some folk don’t rate Hope stuff but I can’t fault it,

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve found they seize up due to grit in the bearings, rather than corrosion. So the quality of sealing should make more difference than what material the balls and races are made from?

somafunk

If water gets down your seat tube and collects in your BB shell then any expensive/aftermarket BB will eventually wear and feel gritty, either take your seatpost out after wet rides or over zealous washing and tip the bike upside down to drain the seat tube and evaporate the moisture or drill a 4-5mm hole in your BB shell to let the water out.

robbieh
    Free Member

I,ve just fitted an Uberbike BB after some good advice from a mate who,s had one a while. runs really smooth £35.

dantsw13

If a hope gets gritty, you can remove the bearings, regrease, buy a new plastic Tophat from CRC, and go again!!

renton
    Free Member

Where can I look at thw uberbike and Phil wood bb please!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Hope here 2 & 3 years fine.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve found drilling a hole in my BB shell makes BBs last a lot longer.

anagallis_arvensis

Not really worth it imo. They are cheap to buy and easy to replace. Better to spend more on hubs imo as they are much harder to replace.

easygirl

Chris king b&b, 2 years, no problems a all
    Pump fresh grease in once a year, just like new

zbonty

I recently bought two XT ones from Germany. They were only £15 each! Not available in pretty colours though..

rOcKeTdOg

shop around and you can get a deore BB for £12 which is less than one bearing for a Hope BB, that makes them almost disposable, my Hope lasted about 5000 miles (just over a year) deore lasts around 10 months for me

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

So pretty much what we can deduce from all this is –

Some people like them, Some don’t.
    Some people think they last well, some don’t.
    Some people think they’re good value, some don’t.

I guess from that, buy what you want at the end of the day, personally I’ve had better results with Hope brackets than Shimano or Sram.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’ve had an XT one which is on its third year. Its a little grumbly on one side but it still rotates.
    I’ve just obtained a secondhand Hope BB so I’ll be trying that out, too early to comment thus far. Certainly it was a little rough, but a good clean out has restored its smoothness.
    The key to HT11 is going easy on the bearing preload, regreasing the bearings when they get rough.
    Cheap bearings in reused cups seem to corrode pretty easily, so avoid.
    The only thing I haven’t yet done is put a decent quality (SKF / INA / FAG etc) SS bearings in my superstar cups. That’s something I may do in the future, but no rush as I’ve got a brand new XT BB in the spares box at the moment.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Hope ceramic – must be a good 5 or 6 years old. Still as smooth as the day I bought it.

Trimix
    Free Member

It seems different riders get different results.

But – that just shows you that water down the seat tube / over tightening them makes them them die fast.

For £13 Deore ones, fitted properly and some care with water down the seat tube makes it difficult to justify anything else.

ahwiles
    Free Member

shimano BB’s DO have a seal, it’s a light-contact jobbie that relies on correct, careful installation.

even then, it’s not as good as others*:

(*it’s rubbish)

hope BB’s are very good, but £72, i’ve got one.

gusset ext24’s are good enough, with even better sealing/shielding that the hope, and you can get them for £24, i’ve got one of these.

uberbike are similar (perhaps a little nicer* than the gusset?), i don’t have one, but will probably buy when i next need a new BB (with 6 or so bikes in the cellar, it’s only a matter of time)

rOcKeTdOg

A lot depends on where & how much you ride. Round here its gritty mud or snow and I’m out in all eeathers. Bikes ridden in better conditions or left in the shed when it rains will obviously last longer

bonesetter
    Free Member

How long has your Gusset lasted – what sort of use?

Trimix
    Free Member

Honestly, for £13 you get a BB made by Shimano. Buy one and go and ride your bike.

Even if you buy it twice, its still flipping cheap.

Northwind

Hope seem very resistant to overtightening, Shimano seem pretty easy to damage with overtightening. And mountain bikers overtighten absolutely everything then blame the components when they break 😉

Just comes down to numbers for me- Hope cost 4-5 times as much as XT, and it’s an upfront cost. There’s a labour saving but changing a BB takes minutes so it’s not a big consideration. There’s an increased chance of falling foul of incompatability (since you care less if your relatively disposable Shimano BB doesn’t fit a new frame). So realistically, Hope has to last 5 or 6 times longer than XT to be a good alternative, and they don’t.

If the maintenance side bothers you (or you can’t fit them yourself) then things change, also you might just not like sending bits to landfill prematurely.

Middle ground is the EXT24 from Gusset, and its ilk- as servicable as Hope, not quite as durable, but 2/5ths the price

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, good advise/summary 🙂

What are you meaning on the overtightening? Cup in the shell?

Northwind

Crank in the BB- people cranking up the preload too high.

bonesetter
    Free Member

OIC – ‘squeezing the bearings’ balls?’

Trimix
    Free Member

Overtightening is an issue – Ive seen riding mates who upon hearing a squeak go round their bike and tighten up everything as much as they can.

Then wonder in amazement when the bolt head snaps off, or wont hold tight for long.

A lack of simple understanding of mechanical things is often to blame for stuff wearing out fast or breaking.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Hope/Chris king Bottom brackets .. worth the money??’ is closed to new replies.