Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Hope XC rear hub – catching, iffy pawl?
  • Hallsy
    Free Member

Just bought a new (to me) rear wheel built around a Hope XC hub.

The hub needed new bearings, so I stripped it down, cleaned, regreased & replaced the bearings.

Two of the pawl spring were broken, so I replaced all three. Everything looked OK after that.

Anyway, noticed that there was a regular sticking point when freewheeling, same point on the wheel. Stripped freehub again, cleaned again & regreased.

Still the same. As it's same point everytime (once per rev) is it likely to be one of the pawls rather than ratchet in the hub? Pawls looked OK to me, slightly worn, but if anything that would make them less likely to catch imo.

Anyone had similar? I'll probably try a new set of pawls, but obviously if it's one of the ratchet splines it may be a dead duck 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The ratchet can be replaced by hope if it is that but I would be thinking something in the bearing's causing the issue

Try reassembling it without the pawls and springs and see what happens

Hallsy
    Free Member

I'd already tried running it without freehub and it's fine, but see your point about bearings in the freehub, I'll try it without pawls. Still think it is freehub mech though.

This is a slight catch within the freehub, bike upside down, pedal up to a fair speed then allow it to coast and you get a regular sound that's like a disc rubbing, but it's not. As it slows down, to the point it nearly stops you can feel it through the cranks and see them jerk a touch at same point each rev.

As I say, looks to me like one of the pawls is cathcing on a particular part of the ratchet.

Perhaps I'll check a third time for any burrs on the pawls, otherwise I suppose it's cheap enough to buy a new set.

samuri
    Free Member

Yep. But mine was a split in the freehub body. I've just replaced the entire body which came with bearings and pawls. Fine now.

Evesie
    Free Member

check the length of the spacer between freehub & driveside bearing. Should be 16mm. The spacer wears & the gap between inside end of frrehub & driveside bearing reduces & can then rub together causing chain chaos

Conespanner

Currently have a problem with the free hub body. The ali axle flexes causing an interference between the rachet and the freehub body. The rachet cuts into freehub causing some grooves with then act like pawls. If that makes sense?

Check the free hub for the marking, my solution has always been to file the sharp edges off, everytime I service.

Hallsy
    Free Member

Cheers for the tips 🙂

Evesie – I'll check the spacer, I do remember it looking a little mushroomed at the end, but not enough for me to turn up a new one. Will check length though.

Conespanner, if your freehub is moving I would put money on the bearings being nackered, rather than the axle flexing? Mine had lots of play in it when I got it, and it was the bearings.

I'll be stripping it down again tonight for a 'third time lucky' look 🙂

Ambrose

Axle may be bust Conespanner.

Hallsy
    Free Member

All sorted now 🙂

The freehub body had a few burrs around the pawl end, straight lines, not sure what caused them, as they look like they'd be caused by pulling the freehub off of axle. Anyway, filed those down but still the same. Noticed the pawl recesses were slightly mushroomed, filed these back and now all good.

I reckon I'll get a new freehub anyway as I'd say the mushrooming of the pawl recess probably means they're getting worn, which I guess could mean the pawls might start slipping?

Still, at least it's fixed now 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Hope XC rear hub – catching, iffy pawl?’ is closed to new replies.