Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Hope Tech 35w wheels – your experiences?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Thinking about investing in a pair of these, but reviews seem scarce and a bit lukewarm – and I’ve seen a couple of owners complaining that the rims damage easily.

Would be used with sturdy 2.8in tyres, maybe 2.35in on the rear now and then, riding lots of rocks and going fairly quick.

jes
    Free Member

Had a pair for a couple of months, non boost, straight pull and I like them.

Bit heavy after running a Easton carbon wheelset, but I guess a 2.8 tyre on the front and a 2.4 on rear is not going to help things 🙂

Never dinged a rim in my life unless I’ve had a flat so don’t anticipate any issues, setup tubless and I never run less than 30 psi.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks Jes, any more for any more?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    oldracer
    Free Member

I’ve some of the XC 650b wheels – seem fine.

Basically, they are Hope – you’ll be fine.

whitestone
    Free Member

Not that model but I’ve Hope Hoops on my hardtail and done over 9000Km on them in the Dales, Lakes, Scotland and the Alps with no problems whatsoever. I’ve removed and regreased the freehub a couple of times but other than that I’ve not done anything to them.

I should say I’m not the lightest of riders nor am I some riding god so there’s been some hits that have made me wince but the rims have been fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve got faith in the hubs, ta. The rims are just a bit of an unknown quantity.

Strange lack of reviews out there.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve heard they are a little heavy and a bit ‘soft’. I’ve recently ordered dt rims

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Don’t know if it was the w35 specifically, but Hope rims have had a bit of a slating from a couple of the guys we ride with. “Made of cheese” seems to be the consensus.
    DT Swiss appears to be usual replacement when the Hopes get trashed.

I’d definitely be sticking a procore in to protect the rim if going with the Hopes.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I’ve got a 27.5 pair with Schwalble 2.35 Hans Dampf (which are pretty big for their size, come out as 2.6″ on these rims). Clattered through Malaga rocks tubeless at sub 20 psi for 4 days on my short travel Transition and while they show many scrapes from touching rocks, there is no actual damage.

chakaping
    Free Member

Don’t know if it was the w35 specifically, but Hope rims have had a bit of a slating from a couple of the guys we ride with. “Made of cheese” seems to be the consensus.
    DT Swiss appears to be usual replacement when the Hopes get trashed.

Yes my EX471 rims have proved amazingly tough, so I’d choose XM521 rims if money was no object.

The Hopes are a good price from Winstanleys and I would hope the 2.8in tyres would mean much less dingage.

Thanks Leggyblonde, that’s encouraging.

flange
    Free Member

I’ve got them on my pine mountain, running 2.8 onzas. Seem a decent weight and plenty stiff enough. Haven’t dinged a rim yet but then they’ve only done thetford. I do however ride like an idiot and seem to be brilliant at pulling half whips (can get it sidewards,can’t get it back) and they’ve stood up to that fine.

Also amazingly easy to set up tubeless…

jacksprogis
    Free Member

Hopefully they aren’t as soft as the enduros.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Are these wide enough for a 3.0 tyre? Better off with a DT XM551?
    33mm Vs 40mm inner width.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m looking at 2.8in tyres max.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just spoken to hope, 2.8 Max they recommend on the 35W rim.

Euro
    Free Member

Normal width Hope Enduros here (the 29 explody versions) – probably made from the same stuff. Running tubeless (mid to high 20 psi) and no cheese-like symptoms for trail riding. Did flat spot the rear on a heavy case on a study (log encased) landing ramp. Was a hard hit to be fair but the lbs guy did a great job of making it round again. If you can avoid that type situation they’ll be grand.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheers Euro.

Still swithering on these TBH.

Bumping in case any owners have popped up in the meantime.

milky1980
    Free Member

Got a 26″ Enduro set that have taken a proper beating, two Alpine trips, multiple BPW and FOD uplift days and they’re as good as new (bar witness marks from rocks pinging off them 😀 ). No worse or better than other wheelsets I’ve owned, would happily buy again.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Have you considered the stand S1 wheels?
    Baron would suit the tyre size..£315 from setchfield cycles.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hadn’t heard of those, they do look good.

Even fewer reviews unfortunately, and it’s odd that Stan’s don’t seem to offer the rim separately. Otherwise there’s probably be a nice option from Superstar.

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’d never heard of them either until today.
    Stan’s have there S1 wheelset range to compete with factory built hope wheelsets.
    Crest — 23mm, 2.0″–2.25″
    Arch — 26mm, 2.25″–2.5″
    Flow — 29mm, 2.35″–2.8″
    Sentry — 32mm, 2.5″–3.0″
    Baron — 35mm, 2.8″–3.2″
    Major — 38mm, 3.0″–3.5″
    All built with Stan’s Neo hubs,
    Sadly no 197/150 hub option!

Potdog
    Free Member

Got the 35W’s. Been battering them around Tenerife since February. A bit scuffed but standing up well. Running tubeless just under 20psi and only picked up a minor ding after a very quick deflation when I slashed a sidewall and took a little while to come to a stop. Pretty happy with them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks potdog, that’s what I need to hear.

waspsnest
    Free Member

I bought a set only recently with the Pro 4 hubs.

I’m not light (16st) and quite clumsy – no damage yet after 70-odd miles of pretending to be better than I am. Weight-wise I was replacing a set of Giant SX-C 2 wheels on my 2015 Trance 2, they were heavy anyway so the difference was negligible and definitely not noticeable.

I’m running Conti Trail King 2.4 on the front and Rock Razor 2.35 super gravity on the rear. Profiles appear fine, although even running WITH tubes they put up a fight to get seated.

One thing I did notice was the massive improvement in grip and confidence in the corners when I went out on my maiden voyage.

I couldn’t find many reviews online for them, but they are a fantastic rim. Love them.

benpinnick

S1s. Are pretty good. Basically a standard sun sleeved rim construction with a stans design (no bad thing). Also runs a taller sidewall (also not bad). Well made and good value.

I had some 35ws, I almost immediately rebuilt them with xm521s and alu nipples to lighten them up. However now I’m running Rekon 2.6s I’m not sure I’d have done that twice

chakaping
    Free Member

There’s 35g difference in quoted weight per rim from the XM521 to 35W.

I’d prefer the DT rim but they are not cheap or very widely available.

DT don’t make any of the Spline wheelsets with them do they?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Slam69 have the dt Swiss XM551 rims.
    I ordered some on fatsno hubs on Friday for a very good price.
    Might be to wide at 40mm internal for what you want.

hatter

DT Swiss are coming in through Madison now so pretty much any bike shop can get DT rims.

The XM Spline 1 wheelsets use the the XM rims, 25mm = XM421, 30mm = XM481, 35mm = XM521, 40mm = XM551

dmorts

I have been looking out for something equivalent to the Hope Tech 35w wheels for similar money. It appears to be quite hard to find, especially as I can get 10% off them at CRC. That puts a set near to £300.

Any suggestions?

johnnyt
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a set of straight pull 35W’s and done the tubeless route, so easy to do using 25mm Gorilla tape and Stans valves. The tyres were a turd to fit with front being easiest having been on my DTs for a year but the rear was new, i broke 3 tyre levers getting it on :-0  I’m running WTB BREAKOUT 2.3 rear VIGILANTE 2.3 front and it feels fab as the wider rim has changed the profile of it giving a wider footprint.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Live in Sheffield, so mine get battered at Wharncliffe, Grenoside and rocky Peak rides. Also done BPW and revs twice since getting them _ no problems at all using WTB Vigilante on rear and shorty up front both 2.5.

Awesome grip, no dings yet yes a bit lardy with DH tyres but my bikes built to survive my riding 🙂

Hope customer service is always worth having.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it’s nice to see this thread again, but I got discount Easton Arc35s built onto Pro 4s in the end.

I’m aware the Arc rims don’t have the best reputation for durability, but as they’re just for plus tyres they won’t be getting anywhere near the same battering as my other wheels. Very pleased with them FWIW.

LMT
    Free Member

Digging up an old thread, but a year on, stans s1 or hope w35’s??

teethgrinder

Not in anyway similar, but I’ve just rebuilt my wheels on 35W’s in 27.5 from Flow mk1’s.  Not had a ride out yet, but 2.3 DHR2 and 2.3 Slaughter should be ok. I hope.

LMT
    Free Member

I’m planning on running bonty xr4 2.8s..

psycorp
    Free Member

Rim wise mine have been good, no issues whatsoever.

I run 3″ Ranger rear and NN front. That 2.8″ max stuff up there is a load of old tosh.

teethgrinder

Given how dry and sandy Chopwell is ATM, seems OK with 2.3’s.  Front was a little hard so let some air out, but leaving the back as is.

So. Much. Dust.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Hope Tech 35w wheels – your experiences?’ is closed to new replies.