Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Hope Pro II, What Rims?
  • aguesty1
    Free Member

Hi All,

I’m thinking of investing in a new set of wheels for my Commencal Meta,. Leaning towards Hope Pro II, question is what rims should I go for. I ride trail centres such as Lee and Gisburn and am more than happy on black runs. Reason for the new wheels is as I’m off to Morzine in the summer and fancy treating myself, reading about the rims I figure I have 3 choices:

DT EX500

Mavic 521

ZTR Flow

What are you recommending?

Thanks

munrobiker
    Free Member

ZTRs- as strong as the others but much lighter, and when built onto Hope Hoops you get really good value for money.

If I were riding what you ride I’d think about something lighter like an Arch but if you want one set of wheels to use for everything Flows are the ones.

mmel
    Free Member

I’ve got 521’s laced to a Hope Pro II Evo on the front and a Spec Stout on the rear. Totally bomb proof rim – my mech had a fight with the wheel and destroyed 3 spokes. After a bit of trail side bodging I was able to ride on no probs. There wasn’t even much of a wobble in the wheel when I re built it back home.

You may find them a little heavy but I’m not bothered by a few grams.

TheSwede
    Free Member

+1 521’s. So much tougher than DT rims imho.

SBrock
    Free Member

Flows

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Mavic 717s.

rOcKeTdOg

DT X470’s (29er) 😉

backtothetop
    Free Member

ive got the dt ex500’s, read loads of negative reviews(after i got them) which worried me,however ive had zero problems after hitting jumps and drops. mine are straight laced on to hope pro3 sp am4 hubs.

lee93
    Free Member

What about the mavic 321 has the strength but also light that’s what I’d go for!

aguesty1
    Free Member

This is the problem, I’m not a downhill rider but I don’t want something too lightweight. Basically I am sick of having to have wheels trued! Also considering tubeless setup, do you guys run tubeless wheels and tubeless tyres or wang it with a tubeless kit?

nicko74

I would say Flows – the weight advantage is definitely worth a look, and they are pretty wide. But it may depend how hard you’re riding; the lack of eyelets *might* be an issue (but might not)

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Flows all the way, still true after 18 mnonths of hard riding (and im not light in weight or riding style)

boltonjon

How are the flows when it comes to fitting & removing tyres? Much of a struggle?

roblane65
    Free Member

I’m running some michelin gripr’s tublees on flows at the mo. and have have no fitting probs with other tyres either,the 28 mm rim gives the tyres a nice round profile but watch for tyre clearence my gripr’s are 2.25’s but come up more like 2.5’s on the 28mm rims.If yuor’e buying new then go for the evo 2’s straight pulls,stronger and lighther again than std pro 2’s.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

No problem, I regularly change tyres from high rollers 2.35 to massive Muddy Marys 2.5

robsoctane
    Free Member

Have you thought about Arch EX? They’re between Arch and Flow. I’ve got them on Hope Pro 2 Evo’s and I love them. Really light but tough. I’m sure they’d be a good option for you.

Good luck.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Arch EX or Pacenti TL28 maybe. Mavic rims aren’t really competitive any more.

Northwind

Flows. Light, wide and strong. Arch Ex would probably do the job too, to be fair but the extra insurance of the Flows doesn’t add that much weight.

_tom_
    Free Member

Mavic 721 is the standard choice for me. Doesn’t really feel much heavier than the “all mountain” Mavic rims and can take quite a beating.

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I use a set of 721 rims and they can take a proper battering.

Mavic and hope Hubs is wha hope use with good reason. Mavic rims is what I mostly use for wheel builds for customers as well.

thewanderer
    Free Member

I too have a set of hopes that I’m going to build up.. probably with Flows… What spokes should I use – DT swiss competition? or is there something else I should be using?

Scamper
    Free Member

I’m taking my Arch/Pro 2 wheels to Morzine this summer. I think the new EX version is a further 25g ligher or something, if you are bothered about weight.

MrGreedy

How are the flows when it comes to fitting & removing tyres? Much of a struggle?

Piece of cake. Dead easy to set up tubeless too.

honourablegeorge

bm0p700f – Member

Mavic and hope Hubs is wha hope use with good reason.

Hope are pretty much only doing Stan’s rims now, I thought.

Matt24k
    Free Member

+1 for 721 on pro 2 hubs here. Much easier to change tyres on than Flows and DT Swiss rims that I have tried.

RustyMac

From your three options i’d instantly discount the DT Swiss Ex500 rims as i have the Ex5.1D (essentally the sam rim re-branded) and they are a real PITA get tyres mounted on them and although mine have coped with everything i have thrown at them there has been a number of reports of being pretty soft.

I have a set of En521 rims to build onto a pair of hubs for something a bit stronger but haven’t had the time to finnish the build. Reviews when i bought the rims were really encoraging unfortuneately CRC have removed them when the En521 came out with new grafix.

I know of a few people who have taken ztr flows to the alps and they have been flawless, if i had been able to afford flows when i bought the En521 rims i would have had them.

If it was my choice i would go for flow rims especially if they are coming as a pre built wheel set as deal on them is fantastic.

Northwind

Matt24k – Member

Much easier to change tyres on than Flows

I’ve got 721s and Flows and there’s a tiny extra effort of breaking the tyre off the bead on the Flows, and a tiny extra effort of getting the tyre off the taller 721 rim, but they’re both very easy- only way either could be “much easier” would be if they came with a little man to do it for you.

o96192083
    Free Member

I literally just bought (yesterday) the pro II with Flows, and haven’t ridden them yet, but they look excellently well made, and have tape already applied which is a bonus.

aguesty1
    Free Member

Looks like I’m going to go for a set of flows, unless someone convinces me otherwise!?!

My wife thinks I’m a complete geek on the forums but what’s the point in buying something without getting other peoples opinions! 😉

aguesty1
    Free Member

Flows are £297 on wiggle for the pair!

smiff
    Free Member

Someone mentioned Arch Ex. the problem with Arch Ex is they’re not available on Hope factory wheels (nor is the old Arch), so you end up paying approx £50 more per wheel for them. which is ridiculous. Merlin should start building wheels with them from mid-March (spoke to them today) which should help a bit as they’re cheaper than most builders.. real PITA i’d be all over the Arch Ex now if I could.

smiff
    Free Member

pssst guys: currently these are £261.36 at Wiggle if you have platinum account + 10% code EXTRA10 + possible quidco on top.
    if you don’t have an account, then it’s still £267.30 + quidco
    which AFAIK is best current deal around, can anyone do better??
    thinking of going with flow rear + crest front, as the alternative is waiting for merlin to do ArchEx+Crest for about £30 more and probably not any better built.

Anyone else used Flow rear Crest front, i know Flow is wider, but is this ridiculous? i want strength at back and lightness at front basically.

james
    Free Member

“DT EX500
    Mavic 521
    ZTR Flow”

Stans Arch EX are as wide as the Mavics, but about 140-150g lighter for a pair of rims?

What forks do you have on the meta?
    What tyres (and size) do you typically run?
    If you’ve a really ‘burly’ setup then the wider (but heavier) flows might complement it better?

“Mavic 717s”
    Eh? No. Really narrow, fairly easy* to ding the rims, 4mm wider Stans Arch EX are the same weight as XC717 discs
    *though it depends how much you try riding up steps and stuff
    I have one on the back of my XC HT though, and is fine on there though

“What about the mavic 321 has the strength but also light “
    OP already suggested the lighter (less heavy) 521
    321 isn’t light, claimed is 570g no? And IIRC that isn’t a real world weight either, excludes something, might be the rim eyelets, so will be over 600g? Same width Stans Arch EX will be over 200g lighter

“I think the new EX version is a further 25g ligher or something”
    Yep, and 2mm wider internally, plus IIRC the different ‘bead technology’ means the tyre will sit wider for the same rim width

“i have the Ex5.1D .. they are a real PITA get tyres mounted”
    My brother tells me this about his. They’re harder than mavics yes, but I wouldn’t say they were that bad on the whole. Maybe if you tried a few year old (but never used) bontrager TLR or something, but then they’re a real PITA even on mavics

“i want strength at back and lightness at front basically”
    Yeh but .. Id want stiffness/tracking and width at the front (crests are supposed to be much flexier than arch/archEX/flow’s) and the rear I’d be less concerned about
    I’ve think I’ve decided on ArchEX, just need to justify spending the money when my (too narrow) XM719s aren’t at all broken

smiff
    Free Member

ok, but best deal on ArchEX is £340 at Moonglu? i’m having trouble justifying the £80 more when they “should” cost the same as the others (if/when Hope build them).

i think i’d destroy a Crest on rear, they’re single wall and softer alloy (compared to 717). and.. Flow is erm 120g heavier than Crest is that right?

How flexy is a Crest on front really? i’m light btw and don’t DH. i’m looking at Flow rear more as insurance against bad riding and low pressure pinches, i “should” be getting Crest both ends.

djflexure

Yeh but .. Id want stiffness/tracking and width at the front (crests are supposed to be much flexier than arch/archEX/flow’s) and the rear I’d be less concerned about

This is how I would see it. Currently run Flow at the front for xc and 355 rear. Works well. 355 on the front was fine for a while then one day it all went pear shaped.

smiff
    Free Member

no one destroyed a Crest on rear then (355 is basically Crest no?)? what about bashing them from low pressure tubeless bad landings? looking at the cross section, i don’t have much faith in Crest. might end up with flow at both ends then. not like i’m racing anyway. i’m 63kg and ride sort-of AM (some welsh trail centres etc).

robsoctane
    Free Member

smiff – Member
    Someone mentioned Arch Ex. the problem with Arch Ex is they’re not available on Hope factory wheels (nor is the old Arch), so you end up paying approx £50 more per wheel for them. which is ridiculous. Merlin should start building wheels with them from mid-March (spoke to them today) which should help a bit as they’re cheaper than most builders.. real PITA i’d be all over the Arch Ex now if I could.

james – Member
    “DT EX500
    Mavic 521
    ZTR Flow”

Stans Arch EX are as wide as the Mavics, but about 140-150g lighter for a pair of rims?

smiff – Member
    ok, but best deal on ArchEX is £340 at Moonglu? i’m having trouble justifying the £80 more when they “should” cost the same as the others (if/when Hope build them).

Well, I’ve got Stan’s Arch EX on Hope Pro2 Evo’s and I can’t praise them enough. Moonglu – go for them, excellent service and the best wheels I’ve bought. For note – I’ve Got Mavic Crossrides, Mavic Crossmax SLR’s and Bonty Race lights.

Nothing beats my Arch EX on Hope Evo’s. Just my opinion – good luck mate!

sam42
    Free Member

I’m currently running en521s on pro2s, couple of years abuse on my hardtail and I’ve got no complaints, they’ve been trued but that would be more to do my rookie wheelbuilding skills than bashment.

james
    Free Member

“How flexy is a Crest on front really? i’m light btw and don’t DH”
    Then itll probably be spot on (going by what Ive read on here trying to work out between crest and archEX. Should be fine on the rear too though?

smiff
    Free Member

yeah that’s the thing.. Crest in theory is what i need, but i want a wheel i’m confident will survive without denting or needing lots of truing. there was a wheel builder around saying he’s got 20% of Crest coming back with flat spots from hitting the rim. i ride a lot and i’m the guy who’ll hit the rim. think i’ll have to suck up the extra weight. it’s only 60g more for flow than the 717 i’m used to! i just don’t want to have to think about it. i realise you can break any wheel if you smash into logs/rocks of course.. i always seem to be harder on back wheels than front, which is where the Flow-R,Crest-F idea came from..

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Hope Pro II, What Rims?’ is closed to new replies.