Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hope Hoops – hub tolerance problems, feels rough or too tight?
  • smiff
    Free Member

bought a week ago a Hope Hoop front from Wiggle – Pro2 Evo SP front on Crest. turning the axle in the hand felt a bit rough but i changed the end caps and rode it no problem, anyway now it feels rougher. if i take the end caps out and hold one bearing still, the other bearing feels smooth, ditto the other way around. or if i counter-rotate them it’s smooth. so it’s not the bearings that are rough, seems to be the metal tube in between them?, when it turns (when both bearings turn like in normal use, the tube turns with them), it’s rough.
    Can’t feel this while riding bike but definitely not right and hasn’t disappeared after a few miles like i hoped it would, if anything worse. Feels like metal grating on metal.

not sure if i should knock the bearings out and check for crap/metal in between that spacer tube and shell, or just ask Wiggle for a return. have never changed wheel bearings.

My hope front hub (Pro2 original) from 3 years ago doesn’t and never had this problem, it’s totally smooth.

Funnily enough, the back wheel i bought from Wiggle a few months ago (Hope Hoop on Flow) also has a problem with the hub – it’s too tight, noticeable drag. not really happy with this either, and also hasn’t gone away after a few hundred miles.. this one is smooth, just hard to turn.

Was just out yesterday on old shimano cup and cone hubs and realised how much better those turn.. bit disappointing when you’ve paid good money for what should be quality kit!

Anyone else had similar issues with Hope hubs? i’m normally a bit of a Hope fan so not sure what to make of both my recent wheels having hub problems..
    this is not a whine, asking for advice on what to do as I’ve used them and they do work.. contact Wiggle, contact Hope, or live with it?

cynic-al
    Free Member

send them back if you are bothered.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Check your QR is not over-tightened! I replaced the bearings on one occasion in my Pro 2 front hub and had the same grating feeling and it was the spring clip that held in the axle converter had sprung loose/I hadnt seated it properly.
    If not either the above I too would send them back, you want a good set from the off and have paid good money for them. I once (and learnt the lesson) bought a set of Mavic crossmax with six bolt converters when they were released to market and could not get the discs to sit where they should ( the hub offset was just wrong with the converters) so they went back and I resorted to Hope Hoops and havent looked back.

stevede
    Free Member

Give Hope a call/email, they are usually very helpful.

smiff
    Free Member

thanks, might call Hope in the week then.

Found this exploded view:

Problem appears to be from 2, 3 or 7. 3 and 7 are just rubber orings? there’s no other clips in there? so not sure where could be rubbing.. centre tube shouldn’t be touching shell should it. maybe something fell in there during assembly!

Nothing to do with the QR skewer or axle, this (roughness on the front hub) happens even with end caps out. rear tightness may be related to end caps, i need to check that again before i talk to Hope.

other minor thing is both are set up tubeless so shame to take them apart, guess i’ll have to though if they’ll look at it..

andeh

I have a similar problem with my new rear pro2. Bought a few months ago and it now feels stiff and notchy with a slight squeak/whine at low speed.

I called Hope and they said grease it up. I’ll have a go as soon as I can be bothered to find a vice.

i’m a bit annoyed, particularly as the wheel it replaced cost half as much and has never caused me any trouble over it’s 6 year life. I don’t feel like I should have to post a brand new, £200 wheel back to them after less than 100 miles. I kind of wish I bought Superstar now :/

smiff
    Free Member

should be clear that we’re not talking about bearing problems, or at least not just bearings on their own. all my Hope bearings have been smooth and long lasting.

there seems to be a tolerance problem somewhere else in recent hubs?

andeh, have you checked it’s not the bearings by rotating each on its own with the end caps out.

andeh

I highly doubt it’s a bearing, it’s only a couple of months old and has only had one properly wet ride. I’ve not had the ends off yet, as I don’t have a vice to hand, but will check before sending off.

Like you say, it seems to be a tolerance problem.

smiff
    Free Member

sorry yeah my end caps just pull off but sometimes you need a vice. wiggling them back and forward with some mole grips and a rag over the ends may do it.

i’m just confused looking at that diagram these hubs are so simple not sure where else it could be rubbing. maybe the bearings are not installed right, slightly too far in or not straight?

sillyoldman

Sounds like one of the axle supporting bearings isn’t properly seated.

andeh

I’ve heard instances of the seals being installed the wrong way around, which causes rubbing.

smiff
    Free Member

yeah i’ll talk to Hope first before i get the hammer out. suspicious of part #3, and what’s that line in centre of centre tube?

smiff
    Free Member

update: i misunderstood what was turning, oops. just a bad bearing in my new front wheel! will ask Wiggle maybe they’ll send me a new bearing, would save having to return wheel.. although i should probably have got Flow instead of Crest hmmmm.

scruff
    Free Member

Yep. Not happy with mine (evo / flow hoops)as it dragged from new, never got smoother as it wore in, bearings were shot after 4 months so it went back to Hope, who rebuilt wheel with new hubshell, bearings & spokes. Hub was stated as out of tolerance on return invoice.

Also, front hub is noisy already, opened the seals up and one bearing had 50% grease of the other side.

Bit shite really. Wish I could afford DT.

singlespeedstu

suspicious of part #3, and what’s that line in centre

#3 is an O ring and the line is the groove it sits in.

Del

Wish I could afford DT.

if it’s any consolation I had some dt240 front bearings fail in about 4 months….

andeh

Pulled off the non-drive-side QR spacer on mine yesterday and slapped a bit of grease in there. It feels a little less draggy and doesn’t squeak, but it’s still really notchy.

I didn’t have chance to get to the bearings as I was in a hurry, but will check them each as soon as possible.

sharpenededge
    Free Member

I had same problem with hope rear pro2 evo after a couple or rides it was really stiff. Contacted Hope who said to send it to them. The fixed it and said that the axel was a bit to big because the tolerances were out.

They replaced it and sent it back but I was a bit annoyed they would not cover my £12 postage charges even though they admitted it was there fault and it was only 2-weeks old. If its new return to retailer and get a new one and it won’t cost you any thing as they will cover postage costs.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Just to reignite this thread. My Rear hub was causing issues (wobbling freehub)that i thought were caused by the bearings going. I bought the freehub bearings (cheers 18bikes) and pulled the free hub off as usual. The Bearings pushed out of the free hub by hand and the new ones pushed in by hand. Surely this is not right? The bearing seats are not worn as the anodising is still perfectly gold.

Is this normal? The freehub wobble is still there also 🙁

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hope Hoops – hub tolerance problems, feels rough or too tight?’ is closed to new replies.