Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Hope gxp bottom bracket converter?
  • smoggy
    Free Member

Converts hope bb’s to run on gxp truvativ cranks, (does what it says on the tin etc) However, what I want to know is will it also convert shimano bb’s to run on a gxp truvativ crankset. Can anyone answer this for me please?
    Cheers!
    🙂

reggiegasket
    Free Member

No.

The Hopes run the bearing directly on the crank axle, whereas Shimano have placky tophats. The coverters fit snugly inside the Hope bearing. If you did this with a Shimano BB then you’d be squashing the tophat to get them in.

The DS Shimano will swap with a GXP as they essentially the same thing but NDS you need GXP-specific or a converted Hope.

specializedneeds

Not sure what you mean Reggie: the bore diameter of the Hope bearing and the bore of the Shimano top hat is nominal the same…..seeing as the same (Shimano size) axle will work inside both.

But I agree it doesn’t sound like the best idea to have an axle inside a converter, inside a top hat, inside a bearing. Would probably work to get you out of a fix, but long term? Can’t help, sorry.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah, both BBs are for the same diameter crank axle (24mm) but on the Hopes the axle goes directly through the centre of the bearing: metal-on-metal, whereas on Shimanos there is a pastic tophat in between the axle and bearing.
    As the Hope converter shims are designed to go in between the axle and the bearing on the NDS, if you tried to fit them to a Shimano BB you’d have to fit them inside the tophat, which although I’ve not actually tried it, sounds like a bodge to me. You’d have axle, shims, tophat, bearing i.e. a plastic sandwich.

The plastic is supposed to be sandwiched between the bearing and axle anyway, so I can’t see it would make much difference having the Hope spacers in there as well.
    I agree, it’s not an ideal engineering solution, but in answer to smoggy’s original question, yes, it will all fit together and work.

messiah
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NufgDt2zwXk[/video]

coatesy
    Free Member

Hope’s GXP converter is designed to be the same width as the bearing, and thus clamp it tightly between itself, the axle stop, and the crank arm. I doubt the Top hat’s the same width as a Hope bearing,and I’d expect it to get mangled at the very least.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Hope gxp bottom bracket converter?’ is closed to new replies.