Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Hope gold bits – thoughts and pictures
  • CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve been musing about a new bike and want to do something different to my current black frame with red hubs, rotors, levers, headset, etc.

Does the Hope gold coloured stuff look nicely bling without being too flash, or is it more garish than a Dubai hotel bathroom? It’s impossible to tell just looking at the Hope website so need comments and especially pictures please

gsp1984
    Free Member

I have a gold hope BB that I’m using as a paper weight in the hope that my current BB can last until spring lol

It’s not to bright or garish… I guess it depend on the colour of your bike though.

When your bike is neow yellow, no one will really notice another piece of small bright metal

Matches the Kashima too 😉

weeksy

I’ve got a hope Headset just like that 🙂

Sitting on my desk waiting till spring

stumpy01

Got a gold seat qr on my Inbred, but it’s the Barry White frame with gold deals so doesn’t look out of place. No pics though…

I would get the wheel qrs too but don’t like the stories I see about them loosening off. A mate has got one & is constantly retightening it.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hmm. Was thinking of a bit more bike related use than a paperweight!

Things like BB don’t notice that much so not too critical if you get it wrong, but I’m thinking floating rotors, hubs, headset etc so will be pretty obvious against a contrasting coloured bike

mattzzzzzz
    Free Member

My thoughts exactly,got rid of (mostly ) all of my red bits last week on ebay , next bike will be all black with saint shifter / mech , renthal bars and ring , hope rotors , bb and seat clamp , ive got everything bar the seatclamp and BB oh and the frame( el guapo ano black)

It will look good or gash

honourablegeorge

I did all the red Hope bits on my first bike.

Have a simple policy nowadays. “Get the black one”.

parkesie
    Free Member

Had a gold rear hub for 11 years been on all colours of bike and you just dont notice it.

gsp1984
    Free Member

I think gold floating rotors and hubs would be a bit to much… even on my brightly coloured bike. 🙁

xiphon
    Free Member

Gold BB over here – but it’s Shimano, not Hope. Nice deep cups (83mm cups) to fit in a 73mm BB shell.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Chrisj to the forum please. He runs hope v2 special edition with green adjusters, in gold levers on black housings on a white yeti!

grum
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll go and take a pic of my bike. 🙂

Brown Pitch with gold Hope headset top cap, seat clamp, rear QR, and floating rotors. 😳

martymac

ive got gold seat clamp and skewers on a white P7 here, they look good but not too garish imo.
    never had the skewers loosen off at all, is your mate sure hes done up properly?

grum
    Free Member

Oh yeah, my skewers don’t loosen off either – I do them up pretty damn tight though. It has to be said the design doesn’t work as well as the Shimano ones, but I’ve not had any actual problems with it.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

My wife has banned them. Gun smoke is ok though reds still a bit iffy.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am sensitive about the bike looking too blingy. I have to say I do like the Gold Hope bits on my White Covert – hubs, centre of disc rotors, seat clamp, bottom bracket. I did go gold crazy with the bars too.

watsontony
    Free Member

what bars are them?

chrssmale
    Free Member

I’ve got a few bits of gold 🙂
    On a black Cove Handjob, with black forks I’ve got, gold hubs, floating rotors, QR, Seatclamp. Also gold superstar pedals, and gold clamps on the grips.
    Black with splashes of gold 🙂
    Offshore for now but home in a few weeks I’ll try and post a picture.
    My mates and I think it looks good, yeah a bit blingy, but you can’t beat a bit of bling.
    Never had a problem with Hope qr’s just make sure the cam has a bit of lube.

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’ve got Hope gold hubs, seat QR, BB and Gold Stem front (Answer Rove)

Not that you can see half of them in this piccy…

Sancho
    Free Member

Ive got the gold bash ring on my blue covert looks pimp but not garish

postierich
    Free Member

Bit of gold tat on my cheap and cheerfull Canyon

892 by Richard Munro, on Flickr

rondo101
    Free Member

Black & gold is a classic combo, altough if you’ve any aspirations of moving to another coloured frame at a later date then I’d go for black. Black goes with everything.

Hope rear QR, seat clamp, headset & hubs. Superstar 9mm front QR (which is a garish gold) & chainring bolts from an unremembered source. I would consider a hope BB if it weren’t for the price of shimano ones from Rose.

tenfoot

Gold Hope seat QR which was a fathers day present with superstar gold bars. A little bit of bling goes a long way.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Maybe I’ll go and take a pic of my bike.
    Brown Pitch with gold Hope headset top cap, seat clamp, rear QR, and floating rotors.

Yes please

Jambalaya, that looks nice. Where was the pic taken?

Unfortunately the pics so far don’t really give me a good idea of how bright or brash they are so jury is still out. The bike I’m potentially putting this stuff on is likely to be green or black. Not worried about transferability to another bike so dont need to go black.

stumpy01

martymac, yeah he does the qr up properly. He’s got 3 mtbs, 1 road bike & 1 Hope qr between them all (on a front wheel). It’s the only one that comes loose. Perhaps it needs a lube.

But, I remember being poised to buy some gold Hope qr’s & there seemed to be several posts on here at the time about what qr should I buy & quite a few people were saying don’t get Hope ones as they don’t stay put. Shimano ones always get a good write up.

zangolin
    Free Member

Gold

postierich
    Free Member

Liberace would have had a bike like that!

shortcut

Gold is fine. Salsa seat clamp, salsa rasta qr’s, king headset and hope hubs and rotors.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK thanks guys. Not convinced either way so I guess I’ll just have to see which was I’m leaning at decision time.

Anybody got any views on the Hope Gunsmoke colour could be nice or just nothing

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

OK thanks guys. Not convinced either way so I guess I’ll just have to see which was I’m leaning at decision time.

Anybody got any views on the Hope Gunsmoke colour could be nice or just nothing

Rorschach
    Free Member

Gold=Chav tat.

Rich
    Free Member

I’m still too scarred by the purple anodising of the nineties to entertain these bright colours on my bike.

jonathan
    Free Member

I like a bit of bling, which is probably my nineties tendencies re-emerging… I even got a mate to machine down this disk lockring so it matched. Well it nearly matches, close enough for me 😉

It fits! It’s gold! Win! by Jonathan Bateman, on Flickr

Love Zangolins goldfest – if you’re going to do it do it big 🙂

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Black frame – id go with brown Hope bits……….

Bumsmoke i believe 🙂

bigblackshed

I’ve got gold Hope bits on my white Sanderson. White Revs, black rims and black Hope hubs. All of the following is in gold: Seat clamp, BB, headset, top cap, floating rotors and limited ed gold Mono Minis with Tech levers. Blades are black though.

I’ll post a photo when it’s light. Very bling, a bit OTT, but not garish. IMO.

EDIT: I’ve got the full lot of red Hope on my snot green Kona, with all other bits in black. That is definitely NOT tasteful.

rOcKeTdOg

rear hub matches too

what’s causing it? by rOcKeTdOgUk, on Flickr

rOcKeTdOg

double post

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Sell the black frame, buy a green one and add a touch of red jewellery 😉

Stevo210
    Free Member

Go on then, you’ll get grief whatever colour you decide…… 😀

Full thread here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12816441

few bits swapped over on to the hardtail.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Hmm, quite liking the black and gold, but really wanted to get away from getting another black bike

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Hope gold bits – thoughts and pictures’ is closed to new replies.