Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hope Freehub puzzler
  • Scapegoat

I’ve been running a Pro 2 Evo with a 142×12 for a month or so, but have just had a new rear wheel built so want to put this one back on my hardtail. I have swapped over the endcaps to the original qr ones(it’s silver on the driveside, right???)and when putting the hardtail’s cassette on (a SRAM PG90) I found the fit was very tight, and needed to be knocked on gently.

I tried to pull the cassette back off, but of course the freehub body came off with it, dislodging the endcap. I put it all back together and found that the freehub was now a bit stiff, so it all came apart and was cleaned up in case it was the grease causing issues. On the bike it fails to freewheel, causing a chain jamming effect. You can turn it by hand, but it feels too tight.

I’ve checked the exploded Hope Tech diagram and it’s all in the right order, including spacers.

Can anyone shed any light?

scotroutes

The rubber seal between hub body and freehub may not be seated properly.

bikeneil
    Free Member

^ this. But I think the seal is plastic and sometimes needs snapping in place.

Scapegoat

It sits in the groove behind the scolloped bits of the freehub? I’ll check, but I thought it was OK. There’s a noticeable bit of give when you press the cassette inwards, perhaps 2 or even 3 mm of movement, in a springy sort of way.

brakes
    Free Member

I had this with a freewheel I’d changed the pawls on and regreased. With use it freed up, but it sounds like you’ve checked for excess grease?

teethgrinder

End caps the right way round?

nickewen
    Free Member

Is it ‘ghost pedalling’ when in a stand or similar?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Small washer between freehub bearing an hub body bearing on the axel missing ?

Superficial
    Free Member

This. It’s always this.

scotroutes

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgUvv76H28[/video]

Scapegoat

trail_rat – Member

No, that’s in place (called the barrel spacer on the explody diagram thing) although I did drop it and had to fight the spiders under the workbench to get it back.

It was the rubbery plastic seal. With the cassette in place you can’t see it, but once teh cassette was off you could see it wasn’t sitting properly. It took quite a bit of pressing with a small screwdriver to seat it in the hub body.

I took the opportunity to smooth down some of the marks on the freehub splines while I was at it, and the cassette drops on smoothly now. Endcaps are silver driveside and black NDS.

SO thanks very much for all your help, scotroutes got it in one, excellent service!!!

hora
    Free Member
    scotroutes

Your linking skillz are pish!

However, it’s the rubber/plastic washer between the freehub and cassette. 5:15 in the Hope video.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hope Freehub puzzler’ is closed to new replies.