Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Hope District rear LED
  • aracer
    Free Member

So we’re only talking about a light 50% brighter than a cars brake light

Cars don’t drive round with their brake lights on all the time. Meanwhile that 21W bulb (which isn’t quite as bright as this) is also what you have in a fog light, and see how much grief people get on here for driving round with those on and blinding other drivers.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

There will be people who buy it and are Hope’s lawful prey. Shiny, expensive CNC.

Stupid light if you ask me. Will be like a car rear fog light being on when its not foggy (which is illegal on a car)

BadlyWiredDog

It’s like Groundhog Day. Do people understand what black and white thinking is?

Kit
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few cyclists with rear lights on helmets in Edinburgh, and to be honest I don’t think they work very well. They’re too high up, and usually pointing upward too, for the majority of motorists to see. Or they’re not very bright in the first place (light, not rider 🙂 ). Maybe it works better for buses, lorries and the like but reflective gear is probably better anyway!

DezB
    Free Member

the other thing that’s great is a lot of reflective stuff on your bike

I wasn’t aware of this until people in the office told me who much they noticed my NightVision trousers. No mention of the Smart 1w light, which I thought was annoyingly bright to people behind me, but 3 people have said how visible the reflective patterns on the trousers are!

One thing no-one’s mentioned – imagine if you’re riding home and caught up with (or was overtaken by) someone with one of those Hope (or Dinotte) lights. Bloody annoying that would be..

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Think the Hope light is OTT but the majority of cyclists I see either have no lights or need new batteries. Just because it’s still flashing doesn’t mean it’s very bright. I imagine the kind of person that buys the Hope will at least make sure its charged up.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How does it compare to the magicshine rear light, its a tempting option at £40 when the cateye 1100 is £30 and it’d give me a spare battery/charger.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Either don’t use it on mega bright, or angle it down to flood the road. You don’t HAVE to point it straight back at drivers to blind them, you could use it sensibly instead.

Link to the reflective stuff please? Need to smother my road bike in it. Might get one of those DX rear lights too.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Does sound far too bright. I’ve ridden behind someone using a Dinotte and it killed my vision – I couldn’t see anything other than the light.

The RedEye has the advantage that it’s mount means it is very difficult to mount facing straight back. It hits the battery life on a Race light much more than USE claim. Supposedly 24 hours on low. With the Red Eye connected I reckon I get under 10. A dimmer light with less impact on battery life would be better.

To be honest most battery powered rear lights are enough – we’re still using a few Vistalight Total Eclipse (far from latest generation) and they’re amazingly visible from a big distance.

+1 for reflectives. Some of the pound shops stock ankle bands with
    flashing LED’s – bargain.

teddy
    Free Member

this is what I use. stops traffic. and it cost £6

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Bad link!

terrahawk
    Free Member

get one and get one of these to stick it on
    Ragley Cragg Vale frame
    Scotchlite graphics innit
    (not the teenager, although I’ll sell you him for a good price. Hard worker.)

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Come on people – links for good reflectives please.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used this on a black Road Rat, works fine, doesn’t register in daylight at all. And this – silvery stuff – where I don’t care, slightly brighter. The silver stuff is a bit more efficient, but the black sheet works too. Both are self-adhesive, so you can cut them to shape, or you can buy pre-cut stickers too. They all work on the same principle of bouncing light back where it came from.

Good stuck on your helmet too, though maybe not for off-road night riding if you want to keep your mates.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Hope District rear LED’ is closed to new replies.