Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • hope brake hoses: 5mm or 6mm?
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

I’ve managed to have a bit of crash last week, and part of the fallout was ripping my front brake hose out of the caliper.. (and several bruises!)

I’m trying to replace the hose now, but don’t know which new olive to get, or if it would be better to get the whole adapter again. (I am presuming it is ok to just reuse the hose!)

adapters seem to come in 5mm and 6mm sizes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3258

and the olives seem to say they are for hope black hose?

The brakes are Hope X2 from an orange 5 (2009) and the hose is Goodridge Braided. So the olives won’t fit???

Confused here.

I did initially just give it to a local bike shop to sort, but they have now given it back to me (after 2 weeks) having done nothing…. )

Z.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Hope Olives and fittings will fit Goodridge hose. Newer hoses are 5mm; older ones are 6mm.

Or if you want, get the Goodridge Fittings (Banjo and shroud) off ebay for about £3 and use them. Much better quality, but you need to follow the instructions.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Thanks Scott.

So I’m guessing 2009 is new?

Not entirely sure what a Banjo and shroud is, but I will investigate!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Hope have used the 5mm standard hose for at least the last four years. It was really only the pre-Mono brakes that used the 6mm, although some early Mono calipers did, too. The silver/black Monos and all Tech brakes use 5mm hose and fittings.

The braided hoses are actually 6mm, but a few mm of the plastic coating is removed at the point where the (5mm) olive goes; hence you use 5mm fittings.

The banjo is the banjo-shaped fitting that the bolt goes through to attach the brake line to the caliper. The shroud (left-hand object in the CRC link) goes over the threaded portion of the banjo and is used to compress the olive.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Ok, but all I need is the olive right? The banjo and shroud should all be resuable?

Thanks

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It’s all reusable. You can use reuse the olive if you like (assuming you didn’t lose it in the crash).

Here’s a photo-guide for the job, if you need it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘hope brake hoses: 5mm or 6mm?’ is closed to new replies.