Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Home insurance with bike cover recommendations
  • leeroybrown
    Free Member

Hi apologies if this a common question
    My home insurance is up for renewal currently with the aa bikes as named items

Any recommendations please?
    Thanks

scotroutes

Usual answer is PedalCover. I changed to them recently and it was an easy, pleasant transaction. I saved quite a bit over my previous insurance too.

No idea what they’re like come pay-out time but they are a broker for one of the major insurers so I don’t expect any problems.

stevied
    Free Member

Pedalcover

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SirHC

Pedalcover – Easy, really good cover. Direct line couldn’t cover the value of bikes.

cheers_drive

Just changed to Pedalcover, as above they are very easy to deal with and they actually understand cyclists insurance requirements.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

Thanks all pedalcover ir is then

P20

Another vote for pedalcover. Very easy/pleasant to deal with and they beat our renewal by 30% for better cover. As above no experience of claiming with them though

munkyboy
    Free Member

I assume this is for cover outside the home. Kept in the home they are covered for any value (as they are not in the list of high risk items) Or am I getting something wrong?

matt_outandabout

My questions to John Lewis were that –

– what restrictions on how they are locked/stored at home to ensure payout if stolen.
    – what restrictions when out (on boot of car!) as well for locking up etc, to ensure payout.

jonnyrockymountain

Pedalcover

malumb
    Free Member

Just out of interest – how much are you guys paying for pedalcover? I’m wondering whether it is something to look into.

cozz
    Free Member

i would say just by judging from the replies to this thread it is obviously worth looking into

but Im not about to all you how much my bikes are worth, or what it costs me

of which both factors will be different to yourself

phone them up

scotroutes

malumb – Member
    Just out of interest – how much are you guys paying for pedalcover? I’m wondering whether it is something to look into.

No valid comparison with anyone else based on variations in house, location and cover options. Just make sure you get a quote for your own circumstances.

sturdylad
    Free Member

+ another for Pedalcover, very easy to deal with again no experience of claiming but I wouldn’t expect any issues.

House and bike cover for the same as I was paying for just home cover with M&S, better cover too.

A lot of people use Bikmo and the likes for bike cover but when you look at what it costs it would be cheaper to stick the money in the bank each month and self insure! (unless you crash a lot or get burgled often!)

surfingobo
    Free Member

Pedal cover for me, and would be even if I didn’t have bikes from now on. One high level of cover covering all valuables in the house without having to try to guess how much all our possessions may be worth. One point of contact, who knew my details etc and didn’t have to ask me a million questions every time I called (we were going through buying a house at the time so had a couple of false starts).

Never had to claim but with the level of customer service I’ve received so far I am hopeful!

mjsmke

I assume this is for cover outside the home. Kept in the home they are covered for any value (as they are not in the list of high risk items) Or am I getting something wrong?

You often have to specify high value items and I found many companies wont cover bikes over £1000.

I went with Zurich who cover my bikes in and away from home. £121 a year seems pretty good to me. That include all household contents too.

bruk

Do Pedalcover insure listed buildings? Ours is listed and it is a royal PITA sorting cover. Usually end up going through a broker.

lovewookie

buldings and contents for me from pedalcover came in at £430 for the year.

Admiral did the cover I needed for £250.

Think if I insured contents with pedalcover and buildings with someone else I could get it for around £300 pa.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

My quote came in at £394 quite a lot more than my normal home insurance
    But you can’t really compare the two

woody2000

Just renewed with Pedalcover, this year’s premium was slightly lower than last year but includes some extras I believe (personal injury cover being one of them, will have to check the docs to see what that entails). Easy to deal with, and obviously the proof of the pudding would come when a claim needed to be made but I have no reason to think that would be a problem.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 pedalcover

MrSmith
    Free Member

buldings and contents for me from pedalcover came in at £430 for the year.

Admiral did the cover I needed for £250.

Think if I insured contents with

and how do they compare if you want to insure £15k / 4 bikes outside the home?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Im with Bank of scotland and have three named bikes on the policy (over 500 have to be listed) that includes away from home as well, locked up with a suitable device, legal cover, accidental damage in and out of home. Think it was £380 ish.

lovewookie

and how do they compare if you want to insure £15k / 4 bikes outside the home?

no clue, they cover bikes in sheds, or if they are locked with gold standardsecure locks to immovable objects.

all mine come in just under £5k total though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance with bike cover recommendations’ is closed to new replies.