Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Home insurance renewal. Need Bikes covered.
  • chalky46
    Free Member

hi all,

missus has just informed me the house buildings and contents cover is up for renewal and has gone up again. i have never had insurance for my bikes before and i now have £7500 worth of bikes locked up around the home with another bike on its way in august. so i would like the best insurance that covers everything. accidental damage, sportives, liability, theft from home and out and about etc etc…

who do you recommend please?

Inbred456
    Free Member

We were with Barclays. Wife works for NHS so got a flier for Unite union home insurance. With bikes added saved over £100 with them.

legend
    Free Member

Pedalcover is the default answer, especially if you want cover in use

jonnyrockymountain

Pedal cover, give them a call

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Pedalcover by far for coverage, not the cheapest but certainly not far off.

lungman

Pedal cover+1 helpful and excellent service saved me money as well

njee20
    Free Member

This needs to be a sticky thread.

Everyone recommends Pedal Cover, but no one’s claimed with them, which means recommendations don’t really hold much clout IMO. Someone on the previous thread was suggesting they were having a ball ache claiming.

I’m with PedalCover FWIW, they’re very good value, and their coverage looks great. But until you claim it’s hard to really recommend an insurer.

LMT
    Free Member

Mines with John Lewis, all bikes covered and not expensive, again I’ve never had to claim.

colournoise

John Lewis. Most of the 7 bikes in the garage covered as standard with a couple individually covered due to replacement value. Cover seems comprehensive and was easy to set up.

Much cheaper than when I had separate cover for the bikes.

Haven’t needed to claim yet…

nixie

If the most expensive bike is no more than 3.5k them Barclays. Covers in use as well.

granny_ring

Another Pedalcover here.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Interested in this too as my home insurance is almost due.

paulwf

Aviva were good value for me covering bikes including accidental damage. Not claimed though

Alphabet

I’m with Pedalcover too. This year my premium has only gone up by £2.73 so I’ll be sticking with them.

survivor

I know everyone will be different but mines up for renewal aswell. Does £255 sound ok for contents cover in a flat with bikes totalling £7000… I’ve only really it to cover the bikes and not sure if that’s good or bad.

cb

Same situation with me, just had Pedal cover renewel through and the price remains good. HOWEVER, they have changed the new for old part of the bikes (over 1500 quid) cover to say that they will reduce the payout by 50% for any bike over ten years old.

This screws me as some of my bikes are that old. They may not be worth much if I sell but would be a fortune to replace.

Time to look elsewhere for me.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Is the pedalcover insurance just for bikes, or does it cover the rest of the home as well i.e. do you have a separate home insurance policy?

stevied
    Free Member

Is the pedalcover insurance just for bikes, or does it cover the rest of the home as well i.e. do you have a separate home insurance policy?

It’s B&C cover with bikes included.
    Mine’s just gone up £5 but still great value @ £280.

nicksee
    Free Member

Another happy pedalcover user here. I’ve been waiting a few days to post as i have just received my renewal at £20 extra per year.
    This is after i have made a claim as my bike was stolen in morzine last summer. The process of claiming was very smooth and pedalcover were very helpful with the claim sorted within a couple of weeks.

CheesybeanZ

Pedal cover +1
    Just renewed and it’s £2.50 cheaper 😆

stotti
    Free Member

Another vote for Pedalcover.

I made a claim this year, it all went very smoothly, couldn’t have been happier with the service.

Not come round to renewal since claim, so not sure of impact on the price.

bomberpork2
    Free Member

Zurich. £145 home and contents inc. £3k bike with insurance away from home covering theft and damage but not racing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’re with quote me happy (I think, just got a renewal letter from them so I presume that’s who we went with changed to them from the AA last year).

Caveat – never claimed and my most expensive bike isn’t that expensive.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Anyone else have contents insurance plus bikes specified? Seems more difficult/worse vales now that I am renting a property rather than owning!

njee20
    Free Member

Shouldn’t make any difference. We’ve got buildings and contents with different providers.

Would still say Pedalcover for contents. Buildings just get the absolute cheapest IMO!

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Went with Pedal Cover in the end.

Couple of things that were raised to me by various insurers on the phone:
    Some companies older policies covered bikes for unlimited value but now many have a £500/1000 limit unless specified – advisors reckon many folk don’t really fully check it after year 1 so just assume they still have the same level of cover if they auto renew.

Some companies also only cover up to £3/4/5K for entire garage contents so if you have a few bikes, a mower, strimmer, washer, drills, tools etc you might be well short. Again advisors reckon that some folk never check that, particularly if they auto renew.

Just FYI, might help someone.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Home insurance renewal. Need Bikes covered.’ is closed to new replies.