Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Hitchhiking in Iran/Iraq
  • tankslapper
    Free Member
    Moses

Hiking, not hitch-hiking.
    You know, trekking or hill-walking.

The borders are ill-defined, so if you're walking in the mountains it'd be easy to stray. (As I did many years ago in the Communist era on the Czech-Polish border, and had a man with a gun suggesting I retrace my steps)

soma_rich
    Free Member

Their either poor spys or idiots IMO.

Bet their having teh time of their lives…

tankslapper
    Free Member

They are all students of University of California, Berkeley. So they must be very bright………………………… 😯

Moses – I stand corrected, I resemble your comments.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I suspect it's absolutely lovely country up there, and statistically not particularly perilous (although obviously more so than the Lake District). Also agree with Moses about the border. 🙂

wwaswas

Moses: "you're walking in the mountains it'd be easy to stray"

40 years it took you to find your way out of the wilderness last time you got lost wasn't it?

tankslapper
    Free Member

wwaswas – PMSL!

Should have seen it!

Hope your plague(s) clear up in time for Crymbo mate….

Jolsa

Having travelled around there just under a couple of years ago I would have no worries about hitchhiking in Iran, however you stick to the right areas. The south east and border with Iraq are 2 areas you're told to avoid. Risk it, like this lot did, and you have to accept the consequences.

hainey
    Free Member

Exactly. You deal your own luck in life!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i've no idea why anybody goes on anything but package holidays to lanzarote

allthepies
    Free Member

CIA – fact.

epicyclo

I'd like to cycle through Iran. There's some great history there. I'd just make sure I had a visa first 🙂

anokdale
    Free Member

There was a guy in 2004 who hitchiked from Jordan to Baghdad to do security work, turned up knocking on Company doors in the Green Zone without the paperwork and unaware he had just travelled up the most dangerous road in the World, or it was then. Apparently he got plenty of job offers but in answer to the OP no thank you, and they are spies deffo, the area they got lifted is not on any tourist map and is in an area where you go with security and police permission only.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I suspect not real spies but wannabies / fantasists who have bitten off rather more than they could chew

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My parents did many many many years ago, got as far as a signpost at a crossroads in the middle of the desert with Turkey/Iraq/Iran on it.

Decided to turn arround because there was some kind of revolution going on……………..

epicyclo

If Iranians went wandering through certain areas of the USA they'd get lifted too 🙂

dulcificum
    Free Member

Hitching is a piece of piss there and there's some lovely places.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Hitchhiking in Iran/Iraq’ is closed to new replies.