Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)
  • Hit by a car this morning, and its going to be interesting….
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

(I’m fine by the way)

Filtering round a busy roundabout this morning (at the bottom end of Frimley by pass heading towards Frimley Park Hospital for the locals on here) lots of stationary and slow moving traffic when this car comes from my right slightly behind me and clatters into my leg and along to my front wheel
    We both stop. I’m standing right in front of him, so I motion for him to pull over but he just blanks me. At this point I realise all is not quite right and step to the side and direct him (and shout “come on, pull over here”) to the side of the roundabout
    He drives past me, shouts “on your way” out of the window and drives off to Camberley.
    Yes I have his reg number
    Yes I have already reported him to the police

I only got a light graze on my outer calf, but my shoe is scuffed and the front wheel has a nasty buckle.
    To be fair, I don’t care about the damage really, but I’m not letting him get away with this. Oh no.

Lifer
    Free Member

Failing to stop.

wwaswas

Do you have any witness details?

scotroutes

Witnesses?

onandon
    Free Member

Glad you didn’t get hurt.

I ride around there,lots.
    whats the car and what the reg?.

tonyd

I know the roundabout well, although don’t use it at rush hour/commute o’clock. I can imagine it gets pretty messy there.

Glad you’re OK. I think you’re doing the right thing, guy needs a talking to at the very least. “On your way”? FFS.

robdob
    Free Member

What did police say?

thepurist

What do you mean by “not quite right”? Drunk/stoned/uninsured or just plain shifty?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Failing to stop, a very bad thing to do as it assumes in some ways you had a reason not to. One of the worst things you can do. Chase the police to follow up, get insurance and pursue for damages

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Do you have any witness details?

No. There was loads of people saw it but nobody stopped.

What do you mean by “not quite right”?

He was just blanking me, ignoring me, totally unconcerned

What did police say?

Tool my statement and said they’ll get onto it. They have to write to the owner and he must say who was driving. According to the desk copper you’re not allowed to have “memory lapses” about who was driving any more.
    It’ll probably take a couple of weeks before I hear from them

renton
    Free Member

Glad you are ok !!

tonyd

Keep us posted PP, could be an interesting one to follow!

Sanny
    Free Member

Write to them? Hmmm. 😕

Chase the police for a crime reference number, get straight onto your insurers, take photos of the damage and your injuries and write down everything as it happened included location, time of day, road conditions, weather, description of the driver e.g. hair colour, ethnicity, approx height, glasses, clothing – basically anything that could be used to identify him etc.

I’d go back to the police and chase them for action better than writing to him. In a couple of weeks. he could repair any damage if there was any to his vehicle so push them for a fast resolve.

Glad you are in one piece. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Sanny

robdob
    Free Member

With my accident last year I didn’t have any witnesses but it didn’t matter in the end. They did stop after the crash though (well i did go over his bonnet and scratched up all his precious Audi bodywork with my road cleats so I could see why….)

zilog6128

No. There was loads of people saw it but nobody stopped.

It would make me happy if every STWer who commutes by bike invested in a helmet cam. You would have the guy bang to rights (causing an accident, driving off) without the need for witnesses. Hopefully the police get him anyway but if it comes down to your word against his he might get away with a slap on the wrist.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Expect nothing from plod

I was hit on the motorway; guy raced off. I had his number and a photo of him. He put his hoody up to avoid being recognized.

Went to plod. Filled in 36 page (no, really) accident report. Car was not insured. Car was on SORN. He had failed to stop.

Plod called on him and he said he hadn’t been anywhere. Plod said they could do no more as there were no witnesses. Photos don’t count.

Idle basterds. They could have told me that before I filled the form in. Next time I know to follow him home, smash his head in with a pair of Bombers and deny I ever left the house.

You may need to go legal; are you in the CTC?

thepurist

Can’t recall if there’s any cctv around there – worth a check?

kcal

I was knocked off my bike by a woman driver, ages ago. I asked her for insurance details, she didn’t give out details to folk she didn’t know apparently 🙁

Police took a dim view and went round to see her, didn’t wait to “write”..

johnellison
    Free Member

Post the details of the driver/vehicle on here. We won’t tell anybody.

ddmonkey

I was hit by a van in London year ago and the driver swore at me and drove off – I was fortunate to have a witness who was helpful and the Police did chase the culprit down for me – I got insurance payout at least. Not sure if the guy was charged with anything I guess not as I heard no more about it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

HV09FSZ
    Black Astra

fasthaggis

it would make me happy if every STWer who commutes by bike invested in a helmet cam.

I would make me very sad 🙁

juan
    Free Member

Just gald you’re ok peter

oxym0r0n

It would make me happy if every STWer who commutes by bike invested in a helmet cam.

Seriously considering this – I have at least 1 roundabout incident a day where I have to brake for traffic coming on from my left

Always get blanked: SMIDGAF

dday

My office is in spitting distance of that roundabout. I’ll ask around if anyone saw anything. What sort of time PP?

zilog6128

I would make me very sad

Why? I get that in an ideal world we shouldn’t have to, but there is thread after thread on here where video evidence would make resolving these incidents a whole heap easier for the cyclist.

pingu66
    Free Member

@dday any of your colleagues got a black Astra reg HV09FSZ with a few scratches.

Glad your OK Peter, I think you need to chase the police for a little more activity. Can’t believe they said “on your way”, I assume you got a look at them as well.

TPTcruiser

I always wonder if it’s worth asking a sample of the commonest insurers to see if they insure this car and let them know that it has fled the scene of an accident. Respecting data protection obviously. Just for future renewal reference.
    Could almost be a crowd sourcing project?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

My office is in spitting distance of that roundabout. I’ll ask around if anyone saw anything. What sort of time PP?

07.58am
    Yes, I made notes. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

assume you got a look at them as well.

Oh yes.
    Pity my pone was zipped in my jersey pocket under my gilet (chilly this morning) or I’d have had pics as well.

BoardinBob

Expect nothing from plod

I was hit on the motorway; guy raced off. I had his number and a photo of him. He put his hoody up to avoid being recognized.

Went to plod. Filled in 36 page (no, really) accident report. Car was not insured. Car was on SORN. He had failed to stop.

Plod called on him and he said he hadn’t been anywhere. Plod said they could do no more as there were no witnesses. Photos don’t count.

Idle basterds. They could have told me that before I filled the form in. Next time I know to follow him home, smash his head in with a pair of Bombers and deny I ever left the house.

You may need to go legal; are you in the CTC?

Had similar experience. My car was parked outside work on the road and someone reversed into it. Old guy saw it and took reg number, description of car and description of driver. He came into my office to check if anyone owned the car. Police came down and spoke to me and the witness. They looked up the reg number, visited the driver. Both his car and him matched the description given by the witness and there were paint marks on his car which matched mine. He of course denied it. Police came back to me and said there was nothing they could do. Despite the witness and the information he had, because he hadn’t explicitly stated the make and model of the car, the police claimed there was nothing further they could do.

Absolute shower of useless aerosols…

bigyinn
    Free Member

He didn’t try and buy your wheels off you a while back did he? 😆

On a more serious note, glad nothing serious done to you. I’d deffo be pushing plod for a more robust response to contacting the driver. Send them a letter? Come on. Shame no witnesses. I’d have blocked his way and stopped them from going anywhere whilst phoning the police. Bastards (drivers) need to take some responsibility for their actions and mistakes.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Send a letter?

I’d have asked the fuzz what year they were living in. Send a fking letter [walks off mumbling to myself…]

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Absolutley do not accept the rubbish the Police tell you about ‘writing’ to the driver. They can access keeper details in an instant.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He didn’t try and buy your wheels off you a while back did he?

😈

I’m not going to let it lie
    I’ve already checked his reg on the National Tyres tyre selector website so I know the reg is correct.

hora
    Free Member

Keep on it/don’t let it go.

‘On your way’- If I hit a cyclist no matter how minor or major I’d be shaken up and would be out of my car shitting myself (no nothing to do with being a cyclist myself). I’d be the same with horse riders, walkers on country lanes. Humanity?

ir_bandito
    Free Member

is there CCTV on the roundabout?

Glad you’re ok PP.

BigJohn

According to askMID.com:

YES HV09FSZ IS showing as insured on the Motor Insurance Database today.

The details on the MID are:

Vehicle Make/Model: VAUXHALL ASTRA EXCLUSIV BLACK TWINTOP

dday

..off to peruse the car park!

fathomer

Glad your ok. Sounds like a complete tool, like everyone else has said, don’t let it go!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Hit by a car this morning, and its going to be interesting….’ is closed to new replies.