Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Heroes of telemark jackets
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

If only they still existed.

Standard issue for school pre-CCF days and worn in foul weather in peaks, lakes and Wales. Always hankered after a proper orange (ish) alpine version.

Kirk Douglas looks great in his Paris blue version – wish they still existed – anyone know of any retro mountain shops?

Belstaff and others made them – give away crutch belt!!!

Harry_the_Spider

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CountZero

HtS, that’s what you pay for a hand-made, item of clothing.
    THM, if you can find one, and it may take some searching, this would be even better:
    http://s.ameblo.jp/straysheep77/image-11971366175-13175646843.html
    It’s a cold weather parka, used by the RAF Mountain Rescue Service in the 1950’s. There’s a good feature on it in a book I’ve got from the Vintage Menswear Collection.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Was on the TV today, is that what reminded you ?

wrecker
    Free Member

A DPM arctic windproof smock will outperform that artisan hand made piece of clothing in every way, and cost a lot less!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Bit like the Napapijiri stuff.

CountZero

wrecker – Member
    A DPM arctic windproof smock will outperform that artisan hand made piece of clothing in every way, and cost a lot less!

I must admit, an army surplus milspec smock would be just as good, there have been so many variations on that style of jacket over the years, there ought to be something to suit.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Fjallraven make some nice retro looking kit..

I’ve a fair few of their jackets. Have a look at the Grennland Jacket..

http://www.terracesmenswear.co.uk/products/Fj%C3%A4llr%C3%A4ven-Greenland-Jacket-Taupe.html

But what Wrecker said, I’ve still got my Windproof Smock that was issued to me in 1993,, love it. Awesome bit of kit.

CountZero

This isn’t quite the same, but it’s a windsmock, has similar features, and isn’t stupidity expensive:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keela-Lightweight-Thermal-Smock-SAS-Special-Forces-Issue-42-46-Chest-Tantalus-/172041812112?hash=item280e7db890:g:yjUAAOSwHPlWfsjH

matt_outandabout

I used to instruct sailing daily in a similar thing. I chucked it at the end of uni – I wish I had kept hold of it, it was in that blue as well.

CountZero
    BadlyWiredDog

It even has a fur collar, you’ll look like a super-cool husky-hugging, special forces, SAS wannabe with artistic leanings – how could it get any better?

http://www.fjallraven.co.uk/sarek-anorak

MrSmith
    Free Member

Merrow or nigel cabourne probably do something very similar.

BadlyWiredDog

Swoon….

You could join the TA wearing this! Awesome retro-military chic…

Duffer
    Free Member

Most of these jackets just look like Buffalos to my eye; they are pretty ubiquitous in non-SF Military circles (along with the new issue Buffalo rip-off).

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Some fun suggestions there – thanks!

Like the sarek 😉

Used to be sold by Oswald Bailey shops in years gone bye, and then swallowed up by JD Sports!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Try googling RN Deck smock windproof, pic on link
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79766

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The Sarek is ace.
    Love mine..

wrecker
    Free Member

The Sarek looks more vintage mountaineer/norwegian hunter than military (as most of the Fjallraven stuff does).

DrJ

Love mine too but not really suitable for wet uk conditions.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The Sarek does have a fair few bits like my old Windproof did..
    Wired hood.
    Drawcords centre and bottom.
    Bellows pockets.
    Arm pocket
    Velcro cuffs.

A decent nod to what we got given IMHO..

Apologies for the crap selfie, and yes, the bathroom is in a state of upgrade… 😳

dragon
    Free Member

Montane do a modern smock if that’s your thing.

Borrowed some one cheapo smock when at Glenmore lodge and it was great, a really usable item of clothing.

footflaps

Borrowed some one cheapo smock when at Glenmore lodge and it was great, a really usable item of clothing.

They used to have a smock made for them by Schlok (?) IIRC, it was called the Glenmore Smock (this is going back 20 years though).

wrecker
    Free Member

I have boxes of kit left, but the only thing I wear is my old tropical trousers when working in the garden. They are perfect! Wish I’d kept a pair of jungle boots though. I lived in those.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

A bit of a rose tint to your specs

I used the SSAS version which was ripstop which countered the main problem with both ventile and the windproofs if you had to do many real work like digging in,FIBUA or mucking around with wire, supplemented it with a ventile windshirt underneath to keep dry in the days before goretex and decent issue stuff

ventile smocks similar to what the OP was after pop up on fleabay occassionally but usually green

wrecker
    Free Member

I can’t argue with you that the windproof wasn’t perfect, but I don’t see how that £330-odd handmade thing will be any better.

Alpha1653

How about Empire Wool and Canvas? Gordon Buchanan used one of their boreal smocks when he filmed polar bears for a year.

Personally I’ve got a Montane Smock and its brilliant; one of the first things to go into my Bergen for winter exercises. Great for walking the dog in crap weather too.

slowoldman

I do wonder why you never see this sort of stuff on the hills/crags/slopes these days.

No I don’t, I’m kidding.

CountZero

Most of these jackets just look like Buffalos to my eye; they are pretty ubiquitous in non-SF Military circles (along with the new issue Buffalo rip-off).

Well, a windshirt or pullover smock is a pretty simple garment, I’ve got photos in the Vintage Menswear book of German, American, British, Indian smocks/parkas/windshirts that are all pretty similar. Form follows function, innit. 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

http://merrowclothing.co.uk/shop

These look pretty nice.

l0key
    Free Member

Back from the dead thread to save people asking the same question this year

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not much need for winter jackets this year.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Maybe this deserves a PSA of its own?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201727181217

Paramo velez adventure light in ‘moss’ @£90.

Afaik, the moss coloured versions lack any reflective bits which may help you evade the Wehrmacht as you attempt to scupper Hitler’s ‘heavy-water’ plans:)

jambalaya
    Free Member

Light waterproof smock for £90, thats RRP surely ? I paid that for my North Face full proce from their shop.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Should last you a lifetime so £90 not too bad.

Other colours cost way more atm.

Is 580g light?

mattsccm
    Free Member

I bet Brenig would make one. They do simple waterproof smocks and also use Ventile.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Heroes of telemark jackets’ is closed to new replies.