Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help! Xbox numpty needs advice.
  • bikemike1968
    Free Member

Bikemike jnr would like an xbox. All his mates have one and he is feeling left out. I have resisted up until now (he is 9) but I think I am finally going to have to cave in.

Trouble is, I have no idea about these things.

He wants it to play minecraft on and quite fancies Fifa as well. I am concerned about the online side of things so would be quite happy to run it offline for a while, is this even possible?.
    Is it worth getting a second hand 360 or do I need to stump up for an xbox1 (£350 – ouch!)
    Looking on eBay, there seem to be loads of different types of 360 – slim, elite, kinnect etc. This seems to be reflected in the price – some are loads more than others.
    What do I need?
    Help!

martinhutch

Yes, you can run both of these games offline. In fact you’ll need something additional – Xbox Live membership, for him to play online.

Can’t remember all the various types, but basically it’s worth getting one with a bit more memory than the minimum for storing games. You don’t need Kinect unless he wants to play a Kinect game.

Basically, the correct answer is to get him the one all his mates have/will have after Christmas, because he’ll want to play online with them eventually. Hopefully for you that’s still a 360, which is a good console with cheaper games than Xbox One.

AdamW
    Free Member

As long as he can play his mates across X-box versions I’d go for the XBox One as it is the latest model. Unless he wants to waggle his arms around a lot then its cheaper to get the basic model without Kinect. You can always add that later.

If you look on Amazon at the moment it is Black Friday Deals week and I’ve seen quite a few XBox One packages reduced on there.

Agree about the hard disk size. I have a PS4 and it copies the entire game to disk for speed when you first play, but you need the disk in the drive to start it. Games are generally about 20GB from disk.

martinhutch

Game appears to have the best deal for Xbox One at the moment that I can see. £300 with four games.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/xbox-one-with-4-games-5-xbox-live-credit-game-for-299-99-now-online-from-midnight-2063134

crouchingpig
    Free Member

xbox 360 to xbox one is not cross compatible mate.

You’d need to find out if his friends are playing on the 360 or the later “next gen” xbox one.

Chances are at that age they’re on the older console, known as the 360.
    The slim, elite, Kinect are all variants of the same 360 console though.

I hope this helps you out.

bikemike1968
    Free Member

Slight complication now.
    Most of his friends currently have a 360, but talking to their mums, it seems that a few are getting an xbox1 for Christmas.
    I really wasn’t looking to spend £300 but I guess it would save me having to buy another in a years time.
    Decisions, decisions.

Dark-Side

If you can face it, Asda are doing the 250gb XBox 360 with Halo 4 and Forza Horizon for £99 from 8am in the morning.

crouchingpig
    Free Member

Keep your eyes glued to http://www.hotukdeals.com – with it being black friday, lots of xbox one sales around, One earlier was £269 with Alien Isolation (which probably trades in for the value of Minecraft) 🙂

skids
    Free Member

if his mates have 360 get that i have seen some cracking deals on them recently (less than £100 brand new with games).

Cougar

Slight complication now.
    Most of his friends currently have a 360, but talking to their mums, it seems that a few are getting an xbox1 for Christmas.

As piggy said, they aren’t cross-compatible online. If I log into my 360 and a mate is on his Xbox One, all it says is “Xbox One.” I can party up and talk to him, but can’t play together online.

If he’s feeling left out, then “what his mates have” is the right answer, along with a Live Gold account. This will set you back a couple of quid per month; I can recommend http://www.electronicfirst.com/cheap-xbox-live-codes/ as a cheap way of getting access (it was about two thirds of the price of going direct, last time I looked). If everyone’s getting new consoles for Christmas, I’d suggest that the Xbox One is the way forward. The 360 is the correct choice Right Now, but in two months’ time he’ll be all sadface. And they’re only ever going to go forwards, no-one’s going to sell their One and buy a 360.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help! Xbox numpty needs advice.’ is closed to new replies.